Can someone explain the Cole "cheapshot"

ofiba

He retaliated from the hit he took, which was clean, only to come back and drive a nice elbow into the head of Campbell. Soupy's helmet went flying! No penalty. They ran Marty too on a goal that was iffy at best. Williams was all over him in the crease. The refs let ALOT of things go both sides, but the hit from Cole deserved a penalty for sure. Since Recchi is gone, Cole become the new little "Whaler" Bitch.

I hate them more than the Cryers right now.

This is what a hate in the world of sports. A dude complains and whines about how Orpik should be suspended and fined and banned from the league and then goes and does the same exact thing to another guy. Talk about a coward.

Although, Cole better be careful who he messes with, after last night, i can gaurentee you he won't be skating with his head down anytime Campbell is on the ice....

OK, he didn't break Campbell's neck, so it's not the exact same thing, is it? :) It was a bad thing to do, but not egregious by any means. I guess it's an old theme for me -- just because we're Sabre fans, do we have to exaggerate?

Like saying Williams was "all over Biron" on that goal. It would have been a borderline penalty to call. He was half directed toward Biron and even appeared to try and hold up. There was some contact, but Biron wasn't slammed into or anything.

A Sabre scores that goal and there's no problem on here.

I'm as irrational and blinded as any other fan during the game, but when we have time to think it over and write out our thoughts on here, wouldn't a bit of objectivity be refreshing?

OK, he didn't break Campbell's neck, so it's not the exact same thing, is it? :) It was a bad thing to do, but not egregious by any means. I guess it's an old theme for me -- just because we're Sabre fans, do we have to exaggerate?

Like saying Williams was "all over Biron" on that goal. It would have been a borderline penalty to call. He was half directed toward Biron and even appeared to try and hold up. There was some contact, but Biron wasn't slammed into or anything.

I'm as irrational and blinded as any other fan during the game, but when we have time to think it over and write out our thoughts on here, wouldn't a bit of objectivity be refreshing?

Believe it or not PA, I agree ... It was a cheap shot by Cole to Campbell's head, they called a penalty, move on. Happens every night in this league.

As for "running" Biron, the goal was cheesy and I have seen less called goalie interference, but Williams was not trying to run him. There was a play in the 3rd where Biron got run over as he made a glove save, that was worse I thought. (I also thought the officials completely blew it not calling interference on Cole on the play that led to the Canes second goal. He blatantly skated AWAY from the puck to hit Paetsch (or Card I forget) and it turned into an odd-man situation.) But again, I watch enough other games on Center Ice that I know these things happen all the time to other teams.

I agree with you generally, esp. on the "all over Biron" point, but I think Cole took a very cheap shot at Campbell. It was an intentional blow to the head with an elbow at high speed. Cole is a big guy. Certainly not a broken neck, but still a dangerous play that could easily have resulted in a concussion. Forsberg took a similar shot at Briere's head last year in the playoffs.

If I were NHL commissioner, a play like that would be an automatic game misconduct and a suspension.

I don't want to disagree with you, but I saw the replay on a Canadian sports channel (so no Sabres Bias there) and they even said they were shocked Cole would give a cheap shot like that after what happened to him, so its not that it is a Buffalo Bias on that one. If it was someone else it might be easier to take, but for someone who just came back from a career threatening injury because of a cheap shot, to come out and give a cheap shot himself is pretty bad. You would think he would be more careful when it comes to hits because of what he went through.

As for the goal, I don't think it was a penalty, but it was a cheap goal, Marty had the puck covered but was pushed into the net so it was called a goal (atleast from the way I saw it on the replay)

The hit itself would have been clean, I think, because Soup did turn into the hit. However Cole came in elbow high which is just cheap bush league #%^$#! when a guy is in a vulnerable position.

I never said it was a penalty on Williams, because he did pull up, but he made plenty of contact on Marty IN THE CREASE and the goal should not have counted. Definitely no penalty, but also not a goal on that particular play. I would say the same thing had the Sabres scored on a play like that.

Uh...I don't think anyone said it was the same thing. Just that it was dirty, like the hit he received from Orpik. For someone who was really adamant about calling out Orpik he sure seems to have forgotten the crux of the arguement. Not egregious? It certainly seemed extraordinary in some bad way; glaring; flagrant (just to be sure I looked up the def) to me.

Uh...I don't think anyone said it was the same thing. Just that it was dirty, like the hit he received from Orpik. For someone who was really adamant about calling out Orpik he sure seems to have forgotten the crux of the arguement. Not egregious? It certainly seemed extraordinary in some bad way; glaring; flagrant (just to be sure I looked up the def) to me.

If there is a plus side, it is perhaps better for this guy to play like Chris Neil rather than Erik Cole.

If there is a plus side, it is perhaps better for this guy to play like Chris Neil rather than Erik Cole.

Yeah, he is really doing his teammates no favor by playing that way. He also can't comprehend the calls being made on him. This is truly hypocritical IMHO.

Yeah, he is really doing his teammates no favor by playing that way. He also can't comprehend the calls being made on him. This is truly hypocritical IMHO.

I agree. I have lost tons of respect for Eric Cole based on his last two games.

Against Pittsburgh, the sold out crowd at the RBC Center booed Orpik throughout the night - every time he touched the puck. The crowd remembered. Apparently, the team forgot. I'm not saying there needed to be a blood bath, but if it's true that Orpik never apologized to Cole for his hit and was sticking to his "It was his own fault" story - I would think the issue might have been addressed.

Last night, all of a sudden Cole turns into this courageous goon giving cheapshots out like nobody's business - mainly to guys much smaller than him. Yes, the hit on Campbell was bad, but so was the crosscheck to the back of the head of a fallen Sabre who he fell on top of. Where was this courage on Saturday?

I agree. I have lost tons of respect for Eric Cole based on his last two games.

Against Pittsburgh, the sold out crowd at the RBC Center booed Orpik throughout the night - every time he touched the puck. The crowd remembered. Apparently, the team forgot. I'm not saying there needed to be a blood bath, but if it's true that Orpik never apologized to Cole for his hit and was sticking to his "It was his own fault" story - I would think the issue might have been addressed.

Last night, all of a sudden Cole turns into this courageous goon giving cheapshots out like nobody's business - mainly to guys much smaller than him. Yes, the hit on Campbell was bad, but so was the crosscheck to the back of the head of a fallen Sabre who he fell on top of. Where was this courage on Saturday?

Hey HFT, did you sit in section 106 last night? There was a guy three rows in front of me wearing a Peca goathead jersey and a Canes hat. I asked him if he lost some kind of bet and he said no he was just "conflicted" on who to root for. :doh: Could this have been you?

Hey HFT, did you sit in section 106 last night? There was a guy three rows in front of me wearing a Peca goathead jersey and a Canes hat. I asked him if he lost some kind of bet and he said no he was just "conflicted" on who to root for. :doh: Could this have been you?

Nope, we sat in the first row of the 300 level with mostly Sabres fans surrounding us. I still pull for the Canes when they play everbody else - but can't do the hybrid thing.

How about that dude on the Jumbotron about halfway through the third period. Tell me that guy wasn't hilarious... My sides were hurting from laughing so hard.

I never said it was a penalty on Williams, because he did pull up, but he made plenty of contact on Marty IN THE CREASE and the goal should not have counted. Definitely no penalty, but also not a goal on that particular play. I would say the same thing had the Sabres scored on a play like that.

Rule 69.3 says you can't make contact w/ the goalie in the crease or the goal will be disallowed.

Rule 69.6 says you can't push the goalie into the net while he is making a save or the goal will be disallowed.

If the right don't get you, then the left one will. Either way, in my interpretation, no goal. Although I fully expected the play to be ruled a goal and unfortunately wasn't disappointed.

I'd be interested to hear what DC has to say about this as he is actually a ref.

Getting back to Cole, I know he plays a physical game, but considering what he went through, I would have thought he'd have a little more respect when it comes to elbowing a guy in the back of the head into the boards. Very disappointing to see someone from Clarkson end up a hypocrite.

Rule 69.3 says you can't make contact w/ the goalie in the crease or the goal will be disallowed.

Rule 69.6 says you can't push the goalie into the net while he is making a save or the goal will be disallowed.

If the right don't get you, then the left one will. Either way, in my interpretation, no goal. Although I fully expected the play to be ruled a goal and unfortunately wasn't disappointed.

If in the opinion of the referee, he deems that he is pushed into the goalie by the defending team, does that negate the above rules?

If in the opinion of the referee, he deems that he is pushed into the goalie by the defending team, does that negate the above rules?

Obviously, it would.

It also was obvious that

a. it was Justin Williams who is known to be a hack (he's a very good player, but still a hack), and

b. there is no way he was pushed into Biron.

Archived