Can someone explain the Cole "cheapshot"

ofiba

Biron wasn't given ample opportunity in HIS crease to play the puck.

Williams is allowed to be in the crease, but to me, that was clearly goaltender interference.

He was, however, not allowed to move freely once he entered the crease, due to Kalinin's actions.

Tough call.

I'm a Sabres fan, and my call is NO GOAL.

By the way, the video goal judge in Raleigh is Bill Kicinski, and he played hockey at WS East a few years prior to me, and also reffed in the ECHL for a few years.

OK, he didn't break Campbell's neck, so it's not the exact same thing, is it? :) It was a bad thing to do, but not egregious by any means. I guess it's an old theme for me -- just because we're Sabre fans, do we have to exaggerate?

Well now, the thing is when you hit someone like Cole hit Campbell last night, he COULD have broken his neck. You never know exacty how the two moving bodies are going to interact with one another when they collide; one time it could result in a stiff neck, another time the same kind of hit could produce a broken vertebra. The point is, of all players in the league, Cole should be the most sensitive about delivering that kind of cheap shot, having been on the receiving end of one that could have ended his career (at least).

I think it is very irresponsible to take the viewpoint that "if the player didn't really get hurt, then it wasn't that bad of a cheap shot". The line needs to be drawn somewhere. NHL hockey is still just a sport; no one is going to get thrown to the lions if they lose a game. There is absolutely no reason to go headhunting like that.

If the reverse had happened, that is had Campbell whacked Cole in the back of the head like that, the entire Hurricane bench would have emptied. People would have been calling for Campbells head.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt playing a sport that they love. Even though I think Cole is a jackass (even more so now), I don't want to see him with another broken neck.

I think it is very irresponsible to take the viewpoint that "if the player didn't really get hurt, then it wasn't that bad of a cheap shot". The line needs to be drawn somewhere. NHL hockey is still just a sport; no one is going to get thrown to the lions if they lose a game. There is absolutely no reason to go headhunting like that.

Real good point there - that is a beer league, "he had it coming" mentality that has no place in rec leagues and pickup games, let alone in the NHL.

If the reverse had happened, that is had Campbell whacked Cole in the back of the head like that, the entire Hurricane bench would have emptied. People would have been calling for Campbells head.

Bingo.

Not sure they would've done anything if Soupy delivered the hit?

Last Saturday, against Pittsburgh, the sold out crowd at the RBC Center booed Orpik throughout the night - every time he touched the puck. The crowd remembered. Apparently, the team forgot. I'm not saying there needed to be a blood bath, but if it's true that Orpik never apologized to Cole for his hit and was sticking to his "It was his own fault" story - I would think the issue might have been addressed.

After watching Cole deliver several cheapshots throughout the game, I guess he's decided that that type of play is acceptable. Too bad, cuz I've never considered him to be a dirty player before.

Archived