White Vintage Sabres Jersey

Taylor

Was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he mentioned the canucks want to play the sabres in their Throwbacks (which are dark blue) and that meant the sabres would play in their whites (true throwback). Ive searched the web on this but have been unsuccessful locating any info. I know LQ said they were in discussions with the league about it earlier in the year. Any info would be appreciated.

Was talking to a buddy of mine the other day and he mentioned the canucks want to play the sabres in their Throwbacks (which are dark blue) and that meant the sabres would play in their whites (true throwback). Ive searched the web on this but have been unsuccessful locating any info. I know LQ said they were in discussions with the league about it earlier in the year. Any info would be appreciated.

Why wouldn't the Sabres just wear the white slug? Is the game against the Canucks scheduled to be Slug-Free?

Why wouldn't the Sabres just wear the white slug? Is the game against the Canucks scheduled to be Slug-Free?

Perhaps because the original jerseys with the white field were da bomb, son.

It's been a source of some regret for many of us that, owing to the league's recent policy of "home darks," the Sabres couldn't go with the original white home uniform, which has always been eminently superior to the original blue roadie.

It's been a source of some regret for many of us that, owing to the league's recent policy of "home darks," the Sabres couldn't go with the original white home uniform, which has always been eminently superior to the original blue roadie.

Personally, i love the orig road blues. I own both white and blue unis...like them both....but blue is my favorite color. However, on TV, the blues are horrible. At least theyw ere back in 1996 and before.

I'm in no way advocating the use of the white slug...well....ever.... but the white original is not part of our uniform repertoire. We should just get over it.

I still have a Blank Kids Medium Sabres White jersey from like 92, it would have been nice to see that jersey in the mix...

I have a Clint Malarchuk blue jersey from 89-90 that now gets use from my younger cousins. I remember going to Al Ross on Harlem and OP Road in West Seneca and thinking what an honor it was to put that on. hahahah. What a dork i was when i was 11.

I think the canucks are trying to make it a throwback game since both teams began in 1970. I personally think, if anything, they should create an alternate set of both white and blue with the new color scheme, using the original logo perhaps opening the door to revert back t the old logo in the future. I think if this "throwback game" happens it may open the door for this to happen.

I still have a Blank Kids Medium Sabres White jersey from like 92, it would have been nice to see that jersey in the mix...

I think I have a similar Jersey only its worn and discolored and signed by everyone from the 91 team

I have a Clint Malarchuk blue jersey from 89-90 that now gets use from my younger cousins. I remember going to Al Ross on Harlem and OP Road in West Seneca and thinking what an honor it was to put that on. hahahah. What a dork i was when i was 11.

Dork, nothing. It's still an honor to put that jersey on, and I'll be 36 on Thanksgiving. The get chills every time I put on the white Perreault jersey I have (also from Al Ross, by the way) ... like I am unworthy of taking it down off the wall ...

You don't think it would be pretty cool to see those two teams play against each other in their original uniforms? I think the league should try to do this once a year for any pair of teams that came into the league together. Ok, Columbus vs. Minnesota would be boring, but I'd love to see a Devils-Caps game with the original Caps jerseys the Devils breaking out Scouts jerseys.

You don't think it would be pretty cool to see those two teams play against each other in their original uniforms? I think the league should try to do this once a year for any pair of teams that came into the league together. Ok, Columbus vs. Minnesota would be boring, but I'd love to see a Devils-Caps game with the original Caps jerseys the Devils breaking out Scouts jerseys.

Bwah-ha-ha.

OF COURSE i'd love to see the Sabres wear their orig home whites and play the Canucks in their original uniforms. What I was saying is... if the Canucks wanted to play in their vintage duds that game, why wouldn't the Sabres just wear their white slug at home.

LET ME JUST SAY THAT IF THE SLUG WENT AWAY RIGHT NOW AND THE SABRES WENT BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL UNIFORMS, I'D HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I'M NOT ADVOCATING USE OF THE SLUG IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT THE WHITE ORIGINAL HOME UNIFORM IS NOT IN USE AS A HOME OR AWAY UNIFORM FOR THE BUFFALO SABRES.

Ok, sorry shrader. I felt like I was being misunderstood.

OF COURSE i'd love to see the Sabres wear their orig home whites and play the Canucks in their original uniforms. What I was saying is... if the Canucks wanted to play in their vintage duds that game, why wouldn't the Sabres just wear their white slug at home.

LET ME JUST SAY THAT IF THE SLUG WENT AWAY RIGHT NOW AND THE SABRES WENT BACK TO THEIR ORIGINAL UNIFORMS, I'D HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH IT. I'M NOT ADVOCATING USE OF THE SLUG IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM. ALL I'M SAYING IS THAT THE WHITE ORIGINAL HOME UNIFORM IS NOT IN USE AS A HOME OR AWAY UNIFORM FOR THE BUFFALO SABRES.

Ok, sorry shrader. I felt like I was being misunderstood.

No, I'm not misunderstanding you here. What it all comes down to is that the team sees an opportunity to have a special moment out there, so they should go for it.

The original home whites were the best!

i personally like the origional home blue better then the white... but both are a great jersey... i hope to pick up a white one in the future... hopefully they'll still be making them... i could see the sabres making an inquiry but it will most likely be denied and they'll be told to wear the white slug... it ruins a great opportunity to go back in time with the two teams but meh... its one game and just a bunch of uniforms... if the sabres saw some sort of merchandising benefit to it im sure they'd make a bigger ruckus with the leauge... however if there not producing the origional whites anymore im sure its going to be a moot point with them.

i personally like the origional home blue better then the white... but both are a great jersey... i hope to pick up a white one in the future... hopefully they'll still be making them... i could see the sabres making an inquiry but it will most likely be denied and they'll be told to wear the white slug... it ruins a great opportunity to go back in time with the two teams but meh... its one game and just a bunch of uniforms... if the sabres saw some sort of merchandising benefit to it im sure they'd make a bigger ruckus with the leauge... however if there not producing the origional whites anymore im sure its going to be a moot point with them.

When it comes to enforcing league rules, I would NEVER be so bold as to say a request would most likely be allowed nor denied. The league still tends to make stuff up as they go along, so it is a VERY difficult call as to whether it will happen or not.

Just looking at Sabres and unis, there are at least 2 instances of the league not following its own rules (or more accurately, allowing exceptions to the rules).

The last game of '02-'03, the Sabres wore vintage sweaters. This year, their "vintage" sweaters are actually 3rds (but the league doesn't want to call them 3rds, so they are vintage) because the team NEVER wore #'s on the front of their sweaters before this season and the #'s are on the "vintages". Also, if you look at other teams' vintage duds, you will see that they actually wear pants and helmets (and most likely gloves as well) that also fit the vintage label. The Sabres use this year's pants, helmets, and gloves with the "vintage" sweaters. Thus, they are actually 3rds. But since the team isn't allowed to wear 3rds this year, they're vintage. Makes perfect sense, right? :doh:

If the league let the Sabres "violate" the rules before for special occasions / reasons, where's the harm in letting them do it one more time? There is none, so I have no idea if it will be allowed to happen or not. Either way, I've got my tix to that game. :beer:

Also, if you look at other teams' vintage duds, you will see that they actually wear pants and helmets (and most likely gloves as well) that also fit the vintage label. The Sabres use this year's pants, helmets, and gloves with the "vintage" sweaters. Thus, they are actually 3rds. But since the team isn't allowed to wear 3rds this year, they're vintage. Makes perfect sense, right? :doh:

As far as I can tell, teams wearing vintage jerseys:

Boston

Buffalo

Montreal

Toronto

Vancouver

According to the nhluniforms.com website, only Vancouver has different pants and helmets for the vintage jerseys, and they pretty much have to since they're a completely different color. As for gloves, I've never paid close enough attention to that, but they wore different gloves over the years, so that can't be the biggest of deals. Anyway, the colors are pretty close so I still think it's just a money saving move by the team. It doesn't really bother me, but does this drive other people crazy?

Dave B was on the right track regarding the difference between the "Vintage" jerseys and the "3rd" jerseys the Sabres are wearing this season.

There have been exceptions made to the rule that the home team wears dark colored sweaters, which as we all know was invoked a few (has it been 2 or 3 years now?) years ago, officially because it was too burdensome for teams to pack two complete uniform sets for road trips. If say, the Sabres were heading out west, and were bringing their road blacks (with black socks, helmets, etc) and found out that the Flames, in game 2 of their 4 game West coast swing were planning on wearing alternate jerseys, that meant the Sabres would also have to pack their home white jerseys, helmets and socks, etc.

Anyways, the league has, this year, as well as last year, allowed teams to wear white jerseys at home, provided they are "vintage" jerseys. Toronto and Montreal do it the most frequently, often when they play each other, especially if it's on Hockey Night in Canada. For a HNIC game, both teams would wear their vintage jerseys, home whites, road darks.

I think that in order for the league to allow a team to wear vintage white jerseys (they would have to be vintage, since all alternate jerseys must be dark), the NHL is stipulating that the road team agree to wearing their current "home" jerseys on the road. Of course, if the visiting team has a "vintage" jersey to choose from, the league would allow them to do so. Thus the rumors regarding the Canucks and Sabres game, which would showcase the original jerseys in the original way the hockey gods intended teams to wear them.

While the hypocrisy and ridiculousness of the whole ordeal is either hilarious or sad, I think things will straighten themselves out here in Buffalo by next season. I would imagine the 2007-2008 Sabres will feature four sets of uniforms:

Home Blue Slug

Away White Slug

Alternate (3rd) Blue - Next year I think these will be the same color as new home blues, with the original crest (in updated colors), original striping and numbers on front. We'll see if they wear these with the regular shorts, or if they will switch back to the original 3 vertical stripes down the side. My guess is they'll stick to wearing them with their regular shorts.

"Vintage" white jersey - This will be interesting. If it is a true vintage, the Sabres SHOULD be forced to truly make this a vintage jersey. Orignal design, orginal royal blue and gold color, no numbers on jersey chest. They should be forced to wear them with the original 3 vertical striped shorts, white socks, white helmets and royal blue and gold gloves. It is my gut feeling that the Sabres will TRY to allow the NHL to let them "update" the colors/design, by using the same original jersey, with navy blue and gold, and placing numbers on the chest. If this happens, then it really isn't a true "vintage" jersey, but essentially a 2nd Alternate, which I don't believe any other team has. I can't see the league budging on this, but I bet the Sabres will make them try.

It's been so puzzling to me as to why everyone is rushing out and buying the current 3rd jersey, in the original blue and gold. I think it will actually look really sweet in the updated colors when they release it next year. Personally, I always liked the original white jerseys best anyways - I loved the different colored stripes, and the accents on the shoulders. I've decided to just wait until next year to see what exactly the team does before I purchase anything.

Personally, I always liked the original white jerseys best anyways - I loved the different colored stripes, and the accents on the shoulders.

I'm with ya here...the white jersey with blue pants and white stripes always looked best and the all blues are ok, but the monochrome look was for the road. You look your best at home and I always believed the white/blue/white look showed off the team colors well.

I'm still not use to the home teams in dark. Sometimes when I turn on a game, it takes me a minute or two to figure out the home team...that's what old age does to you! :(

Here's some trivia (kinda easy): There's a distinct reason the original/vintage socks had three sets of stripes...anyone know why?

A couple of seasons back, perhaps beginning the whole vintage thing, the Maple Leafs wore complete uniforms of the Toronto St. Pats, which was the name by which the team was known way back when. The unis featured ugly brown pants and gloves and green/white sweaters. Definitely not a fashion statement. The league allowed Toronto to wear these truly nasty-looking uniforms for a "throwback night", apparently using the judgement that since the team wore these unis in the league back in the 20s they were already "league-approved". If the Sabres and Canucks want to set up something similar, why not allow the vintage whites? Besides, it would be another chance to sell more merchandise. Cha-ching!!

A couple of seasons back, perhaps beginning the whole vintage thing, the Maple Leafs wore complete uniforms of the Toronto St. Pats, which was the name by which the team was known way back when. The unis featured ugly brown pants and gloves and green/white sweaters. Definitely not a fashion statement. The league allowed Toronto to wear these truly nasty-looking uniforms for a "throwback night", apparently using the judgement that since the team wore these unis in the league back in the 20s they were already "league-approved". If the Sabres and Canucks want to set up something similar, why not allow the vintage whites? Besides, it would be another chance to sell more merchandise. Cha-ching!!

Assuming anyone actually bothers stocking that merchandise.

No stock, no sale.

Archived