who is our brightest raising young star?

SDS

It's Vanek. He's likely the most talented player the Sabres have had in over a decade. I wasn't crazy about the choice when it was made, because I wanted Phaneuf but he's certainly made me a believer.

BTW, that 2003 first round was ridiculous.

Fleury. Staal. Horton. Zherdev. Vanek. Michalek. Phaneuf. Carter. Brown. Bernier. Parise. Getzlaf. Burns. Kesler. Richards. Perry. Eaves. Add Bergeron and Carle in the second and Stempniak in the third.

After the numbers that Vanek put up at U. of Minn, Rochester, and his rookie season, it will be disappointing if he doesn't develop into a star. He sure looks headed that way. For a guy his size, the creativity he shows is incredible. Pominville could end up the most solid all-around with his ability on the PK and point work on the PP. Novotny's career numbers going back to his homeland are average at best. Looks to be a nice replacement for Greer but I don't imagine he'll draw many comparisons to Poms or TV.

Fleury. Staal. Horton. Zherdev. Vanek. Michalek. Phaneuf. Carter. Brown. Bernier. Parise. Getzlaf. Burns. Kesler. Richards. Perry. Eaves. Add Bergeron and Carle in the second and Stempniak in the third.

That is an absolutely sick draft class. I didn't remember Phaneuf and Kesler being in that lot.

Amazing.

After the numbers that Vanek put up at U. of Minn, Rochester, and his rookie season, it will be disappointing if he doesn't develop into a star. He sure looks headed that way. For a guy his size, the creativity he shows is incredible. Pominville could end up the most solid all-around with his ability on the PK and point work on the PP. Novotny's career numbers going back to his homeland are average at best. Looks to be a nice replacement for Greer but I don't imagine he'll draw many comparisons to Poms or TV.

I think you're selling Novotny short. He's really talented and has the size to go with it. It's just taken him a bit longer to adapt to North America, which shouldn't be a surprise since the other two guys have pretty much been here forever.

I think you're selling Novotny short. He's really talented and has the size to go with it. It's just taken him a bit longer to adapt to North America, which shouldn't be a surprise since the other two guys have pretty much been here forever.

Perhaps, but it doesn't look like he brought much offense to North America in the first place.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...name=nhl-sabres

Perhaps, but it doesn't look like he brought much offense to North America in the first place.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?i...name=nhl-sabres

Dude, he was 18 years old playing in the top league in his homeland against 30 year old pros. Names like Kotalik, Spacek, Modry, Zdlicky, Kaberly, Dvorak, Michalek, Hasek, Hemsky, Erat, Neckar, Straka, Hamrlik, Svoboda, Jagr, Havlat, Hejduk, and Elias all started there.

The stats don't always tell the whole story. That's one of the Top 5 leagues on the planet.

It's Vanek. He's likely the most talented player the Sabres have had in over a decade. I wasn't crazy about the choice when it was made, because I wanted Phaneuf but he's certainly made me a believer.

Carle was an absolute steal wasn't he? The dude is a friggin stud.

I agree with you on Vanek. Phaneuf is an awesome player, but Vanek is starting to come around. Damn was he all over the ice tonight or what?

Pominville is one of those players who is "exciting" when he gets the puck, but he's not as complete of a player as Vanek is. Part of Pommy's excitement I think comes from not always doing exactly the right thing, :lol:

Vanek is turning into a fast, yet big forward who can establish a forecheck and score goals, which is EXACTLY the type of forward Buffalo needs on each line. Tonight I agree with Rob Ray, the Sabres were at their best when they used speedy, yet powerful guys to establish play in the opposite end of the zone.

This is something that Vanek can give you, while Pominville cannot. Honestly, if they were playing on the same line they're a good compliment for each other, kind of like how Roy and Afinogenov compliment Vanek so nicely.

Vanek's the "big" guy (yet still fast) who is sir powerful (not related to sir charge) and can really control the flow of the game. Afinogenov is the speedy bastard who can skate circles around people, and Roy is a small demon who can disrupt plays, skate really hard, and yet has a good shot at the same time. Perfect playmaking center for this team IMO.

Dude, he was 18 years old playing in the top league in his homeland against 30 year old pros. Names like Kotalik, Spacek, Modry, Zdlicky, Kaberly, Dvorak, Michalek, Hasek, Hemsky, Erat, Neckar, Straka, Hamrlik, Svoboda, Jagr, Havlat, Hejduk, and Elias all started there.

The stats don't always tell the whole story. That's one of the Top 5 leagues on the planet.

Novotny made some huge plays tonight. I'm having a hard time remembering which play exactly I'm thinking about, but I remember a play where Novotny dropped back on defense and broke up a Carolina rush in front of Miller. Talk about huge!

That is an absolutely sick draft class. I didn't remember Phaneuf and Kesler being in that lot.

Amazing.

There were some prognosticators that thought the Sabres would take Phaneuf instead of Vanek. Considering it was the 1st real chance to try to grab a stud scorer post Criminals, I didn't see any way the Sabres wouldn't grab Vanek.

All of three of them. I knew Vanek had it in him, so no surprise there. One part of his game that hasn't been mentioned (but came up big tonight) is his ability to draw penalties. I think he drew both the late ones tonight.

However, he'll still get chewed on a bit; wasn't he covering the guy who scored the 3-on-5 shorthanded goal and stopped skating? I think it was either him or Pommy. Whoever it was, I'm sure they'll get a gentle reminder not to give up on the back check.

Novotny has really surprised me this year though; he is just an all-around stud. If he doesn't score too many goals, that's fine, but he is a complete two-way player (reminds me a bit of Kris Draper of the Red Wings, though it's too early to tell).

I agree with most everyone else that Vanek has the biggest growth potential. He could become a guy like a Forsberg, who can control shifts and completely change the priorities of a defense.

I just wrote this in a different thread, but the more I watch Novotny the more I like him. He might not have "superstar" potential, like Vanek has, but I think he could develop into that critical 2nd line, two way center that every really successful team has to have.

Andrew Peters. Can there be any other choice :P

i know you jest, but there is a lot of truth to that statement... peters has played a lot better than he had in the past. he had a couple good shifts last night, and like rob ray, his 1 or 2 goals per season will come.

now, for the skill guys... vanek has been a monster... pominville has stepped up big time as a complete player... novotny has shown that he can be a #3 center... right now, the edge goes to vanek. he's playing tougher, he's making the great passes, he's getting goals and assists. He's definitely a budding all star. You have to mention pominville in there too though. he's playing a COMPLETE game. Also, by the end of the season, the award for brightest rising star might go to novotny or pominville... its just so tough to say with this complete team.

I have to say I've been really impressed with Vanek so far. I remember many times last season where it seemed like he was floating around the ice at times waiting for the play to come to him. This year I've noticed him skating harder, backchecking, forechecking, doing it all...

Pominville is most impressive so far, but Vanek is definately playing better this season.

I'm not a huge Novotny fan, I think he gets too much ice time and responsibility for a rookie. But on the other hand, he hasn't made many mistakes, so I guess it's not such a bad thing... I would just rather see Paille.

I'm not a huge Novotny fan, I think he gets too much ice time and responsibility for a rookie. But on the other hand, he hasn't made many mistakes, so I guess it's not such a bad thing... I would just rather see Paille.

Why exactly would you rather see Paille? I don't really know too much of what Danny brings to the table, but the way that Novotny's been playing it seems hard to imagine that Paille could contribute in all the ways that Lindy's leaning on Novotny.

The amount of ice time he's getting isn't neccessarily too surprising. Novotny got extensive playing time, in all sorts of situations (late in the game, PK, etc) throughout the playoffs, once Vanek started sitting.

I've been trying to think of who Novotny might be able to develop into, and I'm thinking maybe Mike Fisher of Ottawa?

Any thoughts?

All of three of them. I knew Vanek had it in him, so no surprise there. One part of his game that hasn't been mentioned (but came up big tonight) is his ability to draw penalties. I think he drew both the late ones tonight.

However, he'll still get chewed on a bit; wasn't he covering the guy who scored the 3-on-5 shorthanded goal and stopped skating? I think it was either him or Pommy. Whoever it was, I'm sure they'll get a gentle reminder not to give up on the back check.

Novotny has really surprised me this year though; he is just an all-around stud. If he doesn't score too many goals, that's fine, but he is a complete two-way player (reminds me a bit of Kris Draper of the Red Wings, though it's too early to tell).

It was Pominville who gave up on the back check. Good lesson to learn for him.

Archived