The Official Peters almost scored thread.

gregkash

Honestly, I think it's cool for a guy like Peters to actually get the chance to play a few real shifts.

We can say what we want about him, but he's a team player all the way.

I think he played the entire 3rd period from what I saw.

How many Peters beat downs are we going to have? It's always mentioned that Thorburn or Paille would be better for this team, but from what I'm seeing, I like having Peters around. His stupid penalties are always brought up, but give me a break. His job is as an instigator, which usually brings about a dumb penalty here or there. And his roughing penalty in the second wasn't dumb. Lindy was off his rocker about the call. Gets into a fight in the Montreal game, we score a minute later. His line continues to generate scoring chances, which is icing on the cake.

You know why I like having Peters? Ask Forsburg. He got a good taste in the 3rd.

Peters had that glorious chance, but he had at least two or three other quality scoring chances. And the first period penalty? In my mind, that was more than offset by the lick he put on Forsberg in the third that drew a Philly penalty. That was like a two-fer. :)

if im correct we came back in a game against the redwings because peters started a fight... im not against having him around i just don't want him around when its crunch time... that and i don't want him hampering the development of other players by taking up a roster spot.

From what I heard on the radio, it sounded like Peters' penalty in the 1st was stoopid. The one I watched in the 2nd definitely was.

That said, after the Phlyers were beat down in the 3rd and he got some significant ice time, he played well. He was very smart in not taking a retaliatory penalty when Filly's top line all tried to take liberties with him for having the audacity to check St. Peter when he had the puck.

Peters is what he is: an inexpensive player with barely enough talent to play in the NHL but is very useful during the few occasions that an enforcer is called for. If he reduces the number of mental mistakes he makes, he won't be a huge liability when he gets his 4 minutes per game. I don't really have a problem with bad plays by him that are a result of a dearth of talent. His icing the puck against the Strangers and taking dumb penalties tonight are the sort of plays that are bothersome and might drive some poor members of this board to the verge of going postal. ;)

Reality is though, until Timmy comes back, someone gets traded, or the team goes on an extended losing streak (none of which appear to be imminent), Juice is going to get his 4 minutes per night. The thought of seeing 76 more "Peters sucks" or "Peters isn't so bad" threads is almost as enticing as the near daily "if you don't like the abominable snot smear stop your whining" threads we had a few weeks back were.

if im correct we came back in a game against the redwings because peters started a fight... im not against having him around i just don't want him around when its crunch time... that and i don't want him hampering the development of other players by taking up a roster spot.

I don't think that turned that game around, but it certainly didn't hurt the Sabres any. The fight actually came at a time when you'd want your enforcer to try to start something.

I was less happy with him when he fought the Stranger because it was the right time for the Strangers to want a fight. I'm not upset that he fought the Stranger, I just would like to have seen him make the Stranger work a little harder to goad him into the fight. Having Peters be the cause of a Sabres powerplay would be a nice change of pace. It definitely was tonight when Knuble went off for stupidity.

A similar (though arguably more skilled) player, Darren McCarty, scored a Cup Winner for the Red Wings against Philly. He knew his reputation; when asked about the goal he replied, "Hey, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while!"

McCarty has 126 goals in the NHL. I doubt Peters has 126 minutes in the NHL. So Please don't insult a player like McCarty by comparing him to Peters.

Also,

Did someone say "another reason to keep Peters around"? Inorder to have "another reason" don't you need an original reason? Hell, I'm still waiting for the first reason. ;)

My favorite quote of the night was when Peters almost scored on the backhand shot in the second and the announcer mentioned that the schools have all been closed and will be closed til the end of the week in Buffalo. Then he said if Peters would have scored they would have been closed Monday for a celebration

According to them the Sabres and their fans love Peters, guess it must be just this board that despises him because he tries hard and is not another Briere or Drury.

McCarty has 126 goals in the NHL. I doubt Peters has 126 minutes in the NHL. So Please don't insult a player like McCarty by comparing him to Peters.

I lived in Detroit when McCarty became a presence there. Certainly he has a longer track record than Peters. Certainly he has more skilz than Peters. But he was always on the checking line with Drapes and Maltby. The whole line was proud of their roles as "Grinders". That was their mission, same as Peters.

I remember watching the goal I referred to earlier. Imagine Peters putting on twice the moves Afenigenov did on his end-to-end rush and capping it off by hanging the goalie's jock strap from the scoreboard. That was pretty much McCarty's goal. And yes, McCarty has a similar style to Peters (or at least he did in those days).

Archived