Time to ban Logo and Jersey threads?

deluca67

Some Logo and Jersey threads be banned?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should the TSR staff ban logo and Jersey threads.

• Yes. It's old and tired.
    • No. It's the most important issue this season.
    • No. But maybe pin a thread and limit it to one thread.
    • Yes. Wear your old B&G and quit crying.

Sorry, I can't seem to find the "No. It is an issue that many of us have an opinion on." choice on your obviously fair and non-biased poll.

An equivelent poll would be, "Should we ban DeLuca from posting on the forums?"

• Yes. He sucks and his opinion doesn't matter.
  • No. He should be limited to 1 post per month.
  • Yes. He smells funny.
  • No. He's the most important person in the world and should be the only one allowed to post.

My choices on your poll allow me to agree with you or lay claim to the uniform debacle as the only important issue for the Sabres. Neither are true.

i don't post enough here, i guess, to have antipathy toward deluca.

but i think the proposal is well-taken, even it the choices were a little limited (e.g., I might've had a choice to the effect of "yes, but people who continue to obsess over the issue while hockey's being played are wasting their time.")

at this point, folks, a hue and cry on the message boards ain't going to effect a change. the change, if it comes, will be a function of merchandise sales.

moreover, consider this: if the team is fortunate enough to win the cup in the next two years (during which they will inarguably be wearing these uni's), there'll be no going back.

Sorry, I can't seem to find the "No. It is an issue that many of us have an opinion on." choice on your obviously fair and non-biased poll.

An equivelent poll would be, "Should we ban DeLuca from posting on the forums?"

• Yes. He sucks and his opinion doesn't matter.
  • No. He should be limited to 1 post per month.
  • Yes. He smells funny.
  • No. He's the most important person in the world and should be the only one allowed to post.

My choices on your poll allow me to agree with you or lay claim to the uniform debacle as the only important issue for the Sabres. Neither are true.

I agree 100%...nice biased poll there, DeLuca - do you work at Fox News, CNN, or the RNC or DNC?

I can't also can't answer this poll as the choices do not reflect my opinion.

There is no reason to ban the jersey threads. If you decide to ban these threads than please also ban some of my other "favorite" threads that get started b/c people like to rant:

- TSN Power Rankings

- No national media attention

- How to develop downtown Buffalo

- NJ Devil hockey attendance

- Buffalo vs Rochester

Once again, the jersey's just came out. People are still getting used to the "snot smear" and they want to comment about.

What is so hard about ignoring the thread? If I don't want to hear about Buffalo development or since I care less about whether TSN has us above or below the Calgary Flames I choose to avoid those threads. If you don't want to hear about the jerseys, than DON'T CLICK ON THE THREAD!

You do realize, if you see a topic about the uniforms you do not have to click on the thread. You, as an american citizen, have the choice of not reading it. You should give it a try, it's fun!

PS-

IT'S A SABRES MESSAGE BOARD. What do you want people to post about? The friggin season hasn't even started yet.

The third option is the closest to what should happen. You want to talk about the jerseys? That's fine, but don't keep starting new threads about it. What you want to say has already been said in one of those threads, so heaven forbid if you have to search a little bit to find it.

So if we had won the Cup last season, the slug would have been salted away?

<speaking in voice of captain kirk/bill shatner>

wait ... PA, concept is too ... heavy ... can't form -- ulate ... reply ... .

honestly, i have no frickin' idea what would've happened if we'd won last year with the black and white's. i will posit this: if we'd abandoned the jersey in which we'd just won the cup, we might've laid the groundwork for some sort of curse theory in the decades to follow. one other thought: would they have gone to the black goathead jerseys as the retro-alternate?

I think the compromise would be the third option. As Ray said, this is a message board and it's where we can talk about things that interest us. If people want to talk about logos and jerserys I think that's something that people should have a place to discuss. If not here, then they will somewhere else. Also, if a topic isn't of interest than people can ignore them. But, in the end, this is the place where people should be able to discuss what they would like to and if it's not of interest, then it will just get ignored.

Enough is enough.

Maybe instead we should all complain about how Briere is a marginal player who doesn't need to be on this team <_<

This is a feable attempt at censorship...I say bring on the logo threads, I love complaining about it and I'm not going to change my stance on it. This is a message board where we talk about the team, right? Well the logo/jerseys are part of the team, so bring on the commentary :D

<speaking in voice of captain kirk/bill shatner>

wait ... PA, concept is too ... heavy ... can't form -- ulate ... reply ... .

honestly, i have no frickin' idea what would've happened if we'd won last year with the black and white's. i will posit this: if we'd abandoned the jersey in which we'd just won the cup, we might've laid the groundwork some sort of curse theory in the decades to follow. one other though: would they have gone to the black goatheads jerseys as the retro-alternate?

Well, Pittsburgh didn't win anything with the flying penguin after winning 2 in a row. :o (Before anybody slams me for it, I realize it wasn't the sweaters that cost them the SC; Mario coming off Hodgkin's treatments and Stevens breaking his face were far bigger factors. ;) )

EDIT: Sorry I misread your question. I don't think they would have been able to use a "modern" uni as their "vintage" uni, but don't know the particulars of what constitutes a "vintage" uni. I do know there are criteria a uni has to meet to be "vintage" but honestly have no idea as to what they are.

The third option is the closest to what should happen. You want to talk about the jerseys? That's fine, but don't keep starting new threads about it. What you want to say has already been said in one of those threads, so heaven forbid if you have to search a little bit to find it.

A voice of reason. I completely agree with this. That being said, I thought the recent jersey threads have been entertaining and lot of funny posts. I've enjoyed the opinions on both sides. It's been something to talk about. I'm sure the guy who operates this is pleased with the traffic this has generated.

But it's time to move this to one single "pinned" thread. Maybe even another area separate from The Harbor Club.

Well, Pittsburgh didn't win anything with the flying penguin after winning 2 in a row. :o (Before anybody slams me for it, I realize it wasn't the sweaters that cost them the SC; Mario coming off Hodgkin's treatments and Stevens breaking his face were far bigger factors. ;) )

EDIT: Sorry I misread your question. I don't think they would have been able to use a "modern" uni as their "vintage" uni, but don't know the particulars of what constitutes a "vintage" uni. I do know there are criteria a uni has to meet to be "vintage" but honestly have no idea as to what they are.

Great call on the Pittsburgh precedent, Dave -- that's got my head spinning a bit.

And interesting thoughts as well on what can be a vintage/alternate uni -- a question, though: are all the alternate jerseys also vintage jerseys? i mean, atlanta, florida and anaheim all have alternate jerseys, none of which are prior incarnations of the franchise's uniform -- just alternate home jerseys.

A voice of reason. I completely agree with this. That being said, I thought the recent jersey threads have been entertaining and lot of funny posts. I've enjoyed the opinions on both sides. It's been something to talk about. I'm sure the guy who operates this is pleased with the traffic this has generated.

But it's time to move this to one single "pinned" thread. Maybe even another area separate from The Harbor Club.

That actually sounds like a very good idea.

That way people can start as many threads as they'd like, and the people that are "sick and tired" of uni posts have them safely segregated away from the main board. My only concern is that the mods might get stuck transferring a LOT of threads from the main board to the new one. (I'm not really TRYING to make their lives difficult, it just seems that way. ;) )

When the topic has been discussed to death and traffic has significantly died down, then the posts can be brought back to the main board.

Heck, they could get the # of posts there to decrease right off the bat just by calling it something like the "uniform changing room" or something else equally metrosexual. :P

...-- a question, though: are all the alternate jerseys also vintage jerseys? i mean, atlanta, florida and anaheim all have alternate jerseys, none of which are prior incarnations of the franchise's uniform -- just alternate home jerseys.

No, alternates and vintage are two separate birds. A vintage uni is supposed to be an exact replica of a uni the team wore several years back. (Apparently the pants are an exception to this based on what the Sabres came out wearing on Saturday. The gloves are also an exception because gloves from different manufacturers had different patterns on them.)

For an alternate uni, the colors have to be colors used in the primary uni / logo. That's how Atlanta got away with powder blue unis and Anaheim got away with black unis. Even though neither team uses those colors in the primary uni, they do use them in their logos. That is also how the Sabres could come out with a red & silver or a red, silver, and midnight blue third, when they are finally allowed to have a 3rd. The new logo has a red eye, so a third could use red as it's background.

This is a feable attempt at censorship...I say bring on the logo threads, I love complaining about it and I'm not going to change my stance on it. This is a message board where we talk about the team, right? Well the logo/jerseys are part of the team, so bring on the commentary :D

I love when people whine about censorship in situations like this. Please tell me how limiting the posts on a private message board qualifies as censorship.

And then there was Stevens crack and gambling problems (typical BC alum). I don't know if those were an issue back than, but I have to mention it anyway. I hate Kevin Stevens.

I do have to ask a question to those that despise the logo so much.

What should be done to make it better in your opinion (besides go back to the original, or scrap it completly) I have never despised the new logo, but do agree it could be better. Looking at it, I think if they changed the colour to a white buffalo, with maybe blue and gold details and outlines, and making both horns the same color it would look much better. There also seems to be too much arc in the design tha makes it look like it is crashing into the ground.

The only reason I could see those ideas not working is because on a white uniform, a white logo would blend in too much.

I'll bite. For me, the simplest way to improve the logo would be this - use different color chest emblems on each jersey, similar to what the Laffs do - a white leaf on their home and a blue leaf on their road unis. In our case the home, dark uni could feature a white buffalo, no problem, and maybe adding a Sabre or two (or the wordmark) wouldn't hurt. For the road one, they could either have a blue & white buffalo (yeah, I said it - a blue buffalo) OR put the white buffalo (with sabre or wordmark) onto a blue crest, so it won't blend into the white of the jersey.

I know, that sucks as much as the current logo, plus, but it would solve the cowardly lion yellow buffalo issue. And as I am finding out, I SUCK at PhotoShop, so I cannot mock something up to show you my idea.

I do have to ask a question to those that despise the logo so much.

What should be done to make it better in your opinion (besides go back to the original, or scrap it completly) I have never despised the new logo, but do agree it could be better. Looking at it, I think if they changed the colour to a white buffalo, with maybe blue and gold details and outlines, and making both horns the same color it would look much better. There also seems to be too much arc in the design tha makes it look like it is crashing into the ground.

The only reason I could see those ideas not working is because on a white uniform, a white logo would blend in too much.

What do you mean besides "scrap it completely"??? That's exactly what needs to happen. I could live with the jerseys, mainly the home jersey which I stated from the beginning that I like the design of. But I will never be satisfied until that logo is gone and I never have to see it again. I don't care if I end up being in the 1% that will always hate it and never buy anything with it on there (except tickets, of course). And I know it probably isn't going to change but whatever, I'll keep hoping it does.

Archived