Good news! Jeanneret is staying and MSG...

SDS

Woohoo that makes my morning! Well, the RJ part does.

As far as the MSG deal, I have mixed opinions. I like the presentation and overall quality of the Sabres broadcasts on MSG, as well as the intermission segments....but I was really hoping for something to happen to allow for a locally-based station to take over broadcasts (even though I know that is wishful thinking). The problem with MSG is that the Sabres are always 4th in line behind the Rangers, Islanders and Devils when it comes to any additional coverage. I hate the Knicks, the Rags, the Isles and all other NYC sports teams, and it seems like the Sabres very out of place on that network. But at least we have a TV deal.

Man, I miss Empire with Labatt Hockey Hotline and all the localized coverage they brought to the table.

Anybody even have a ballpark idea of how much MSG is paying the Sabres for these rights? 200k, 500k, 1mil per year? I have no idea.

Not really.

Back when the old deal was announced, it was billed as a $6.5MM/year deal. Alan Pergament's article says that it was for $8-9MM/year (which sounds high, but really is only for a little over $100k per regular season game) and that Quinn claims the new deal is "better" than the old one.

My guess would be that it's for somewhere between $5-10MM/year and that the Sabres think they will make out in the long run because they think advertising revenues will increase.

As far as the MSG deal, I have mixed opinions. I like the presentation and overall quality of the Sabres broadcasts on MSG, as well as the intermission segments....but I was really hoping for something to happen to allow for a locally-based station to take over broadcasts (even though I know that is wishful thinking). The problem with MSG is that the Sabres are always 4th in line behind the Rangers, Islanders and Devils when it comes to any additional coverage. I hate the Knicks, the Rags, the Isles and all other NYC sports teams, and it seems like the Sabres very out of place on that network. But at least we have a TV deal.

Man, I miss Empire with Labatt Hockey Hotline and all the localized coverage they brought to the table.

Hey man, theres alot of us that aren't in Buffalo anymore so, i'm ECSTATIC that I don't have to pay for Sabres hockey AGAIN!!! WAY TO GO SABRES AND MSG! I couldn't care less if the Sabres had zero presence there last year. Maybe that'll change? who knows.

Hey man, theres alot of us that aren't in Buffalo anymore so, i'm ECSTATIC that I don't have to pay for Sabres hockey AGAIN!!! WAY TO GO SABRES AND MSG! I couldn't care less if the Sabres had zero presence there last year. Maybe that'll change? who knows.

is that true for you? I think you are outside of the Sabres market and would still have to pay for center ice.

is that true for you? I think you are outside of the Sabres market and would still have to pay for center ice.

2 seasons ago, I had Empire and got the games for free and last year, the Sabres were on MSG or Fox Sports NY every night. I thought for sure, moving to Albany, i'd have to get Center Ice...but if its on MSG, I have it man!

2 seasons ago, I had Empire and got the games for free and last year, the Sabres were on MSG or Fox Sports NY every night. I thought for sure, moving to Albany, i'd have to get Center Ice...but if its on MSG, I have it man!

but if I get MSG, then I'm screwed (in MD)?

but if I get MSG, then I'm screwed (in MD)?

You'd better believe it. :P

MSG will in all likelihood use the same broadcast footprint for Sabres games that it used last year.

WNY and NW Pennsyltucky get all the MSG Sabres broadcasts on MSG.

People out toward Albany-way end up getting the games on Sportsnet NY and MSG.

People downstate get Sabres games when they don't conflict with other NYC teams.

Everyone else, the only way you see the Sabres on MSG or SNY is if the Sabres are playing one of the 3 NYC teams.

You'd better believe it. :P

MSG will in all likelihood use the same broadcast footprint for Sabres games that it used last year.

People out toward Albany-way end up getting the games on Sportsnet NY and MSG.

People downstate get Sabres games when they don't conflict with other NYC teams.

Everyone else, the only way you see the Sabres on MSG or SNY is if the Sabres are playing one of the 3 NYC teams.

Those of us in Jersey who get the NYC feed of MSG have to get Center Ice. We only get the games against the Rangers, Islanders and Devils for free.

Not really.

Back when the old deal was announced, it was billed as a $6.5MM/year deal. Alan Pergament's article says that it was for $8-9MM/year (which sounds high, but really is only for a little over $100k per regular season game) and that Quinn claims the new deal is "better" than the old one.

My guess would be that it's for somewhere between $5-10MM/year and that the Sabres think they will make out in the long run because they think advertising revenues will increase.

Dave, does the length of the contract seem unusual to you? It does to me; it seems about twice as long as is usual. I'm sure there are conspiracy theories but I'm wondering as to the real reason why it's ten years. (I also wonder whether it's ten years "locked up" or a shorter contract with one or more option years.)

As to your last paragraph, a fixed-income contract wouldn't pin compensation to ad revenue increases (or decreases), but a percentage contract would (as would a min/max contract with a percentage element). If it's tied to ad revenues (and it's hard to see how a ten year contract could be anything but), it's an interesting gamble for both sides.

Dave, does the length of the contract seem unusual to you? It does to me; it seems about twice as long as is usual. I'm sure there are conspiracy theories but I'm wondering as to the real reason why it's ten years. (I also wonder whether it's ten years "locked up" or a shorter contract with one or more option years.)

As to your last paragraph, a fixed-income contract wouldn't pin compensation to ad revenue increases (or decreases), but a percentage contract would (as would a min/max contract with a percentage element). If it's tied to ad revenues (and it's hard to see how a ten year contract could be anything but), it's an interesting gamble for both sides.

The length of the contract is very surprising to me. I'd have expected to see a contract at most as long as the current CBA, and most likely shorter than that. (I would have expected a 3 year deal, but I know VERY little about the TV industry.)

My last comment was in response to the article saying that the Sabres will pay production costs but get ALL advertising revenues because they are picking up pc's. If that's the case, I assume that MSG will make their money from royalty revenues paid by Time Warner and any other providers in WNY. It sounds like a loser for MSG, but I am assuming Al Pergament missed some details.

The length of the contract is very surprising to me. I'd have expected to see a contract at most as long as the current CBA, and most likely shorter than that. (I would have expected a 3 year deal, but I know VERY little about the TV industry.)

My last comment was in response to the article saying that the Sabres will pay production costs but get ALL advertising revenues because they are picking up pc's. If that's the case, I assume that MSG will make their money from royalty revenues paid by Time Warner and any other providers in WNY. It sounds like a loser for MSG, but I am assuming Al Pergament missed some details.

Well, that's what I get for not reading the whole article--you're right, it does sound like a loser for MSG and it does seem like Pergament is missing something.

Well, that's what I get for not reading the whole article--you're right, it does sound like a loser for MSG and it does seem like Pergament is missing something.

Regardless of the money, they do get a huge (I don't think that's even the right word) ratings boost in the Buffalo area. Even if they don't get the ad money, it still gives them a chance to showcase some other shows for the people of this area.

Pennsyltucky eh? OK, I will accept the good-natured shot at my Keystone State. But let the record show there is some very backwoods behavior taking place in WNY in the bizarre Bucky Phillips situation. I really believe he is getting help and support from a lot of people, and I find that really strange. The man tried to kill one trooper in June, and likely tried again to kill two more. And despite a $50,000 reward, no one turned him in. He's getting food and shelter from family and friends, but more than that, he has the support of a lot of people. Why, I'm not sure. A restaurant advertised the "Bucky Burger" AFTER the first shooting. That's sickening. And people interviewed on the news have said they would not turn him in. Some outright support him that much, while others have said they are fearful of turning him in precisely because of the support he enjoys in the area. So, yeah, Pennsylvania has its share of trailers and white trash and gun-toting rednecks, but I guarantee you that if he loose in the woods of the northern tier, he'd be up on someone's hood by now.

Pennsyltucky eh? OK, I will accept the good-natured shot at my Keystone State. But let the record show there is some very backwoods behavior taking place in WNY in the bizarre Bucky Phillips situation. I really believe he is getting help and support from a lot of people, and I find that really strange. The man tried to kill one trooper in June, and likely tried again to kill two more. And despite a $50,000 reward, no one turned him in. He's getting food and shelter from family and friends, but more than that, he has the support of a lot of people. Why, I'm not sure. A restaurant advertised the "Bucky Burger" AFTER the first shooting. That's sickening. And people interviewed on the news have said they would not turn him in. Some outright support him that much, while others have said they are fearful of turning him in precisely because of the support he enjoys in the area. So, yeah, Pennsylvania has its share of trailers and white trash and gun-toting rednecks, but I guarantee you that if he loose in the woods of the northern tier, he'd be up on someone's hood by now.

Me not so sure about that, as I have read reports where he has been sighted in the "nothern tier". I haven't heard about him being entrailed and hung like a deer there unfortunately.

Yup Ditto on the missing empire it was only reason I used to carry the DTV sports package was to get Empire for Bills, Sabres and also local buffalo sports news

Archived