Best news of the summer!

Corp000085

The Sabres will probably have to pick up a journeyman to send to Ra-cha-cha, so they have someone besides Jillson and Panthers showing the young kids the ropes.

Considering they will have the 3 rookies down in Rochester(Funk, Card & Sekera), if they bring in a vet presence to complement these guys and act as a #8 dman, I have to believe he would replace Jillson unless Florida is supplying only 2 defensemen to the Amerks.

I probably shouldn't lump Funk, Card & Sekera together. From what I hear, Sekera could probably step in as a fill-in in a short term assignment with the Sabres this coming year while Funk & Card truly need a year or more in the AHL.

The wild card in all of the discussion about which guy(s) to keep as the 7 (& 8) D-man is that Janik would have to have cleared waivers to go to Ra-cha-cha, Paetsch would have to clear waivers to go to Ra-cha-cha, and Rory will be on a 1 way contract (which means he would not go to Ra-cha-cha).

After the playoff performance that Doug and Nathan had, I don't see either one pulling a Pominville (i.e., making it to Rochester unclaimed). If Rory could get a 2 way contract (which in my reading of the CBA, he can't) or if Paetsch could go to Rochester without 1st passing through waivers (which he can't), then I would like to have seen Rory back.

If there was a reasonable likelihood that Paetsch or Janik could clear waivers without being claimed, then I would like to have seen them both back. I really liked the idea of having those 2 as the #7 and 8 heading into this season, but I don't see the Sabres keeping 8 D on the big roster and #8 would be claimed by someone if they tried to send him down.

The Sabres will probably have to pick up a journeyman to send to Ra-cha-cha, so they have someone besides Jillson and Panthers showing the young kids the ropes.

BTW, I hope Rory does well in Vancover, if that is where he ends up. He seems like a good guy, he just couldn't get a handle of the mental aspects of the "new NHL" well enough to be more than a legit #8 on this team.

Dave -- just to be clear, can Paetsch start the season in Rochester w/o clearing waivers? ie he only has to clear waivers if he starts the season in Buffalo (or we call him up at some point) and then want to send him back down? Or, are you saying that if we want him to start the season in Rochester, he first has to clear waivers?

If the latter is the case, I don't think he will clear waivers. I think there are enough teams that are interested in raiding our icebox so that a guy like Paetsch, who put up real scoring numbers in the AHL, will get claimed.

FWIW, while I prefer Paetsch (or even Jillson) over Rory as the #7 defenseman, I agree with PAFan that it's not very nice to be celebrating Rory's departure. We need all the good karma we can get if we want to bring home the big trophy.

Warpath, I'll consider it good news when I see someone better than Fitzpatrick step in when we have the inevitable injury bug at some point. We'll see how Sard, Cunk and Fekera do.

Sarcasm.

As in... shrader and X. Benedict are among our most perceptive posters.

And, oh yeah, don't anoint me Mr. Negative. Corp's post is about the third time this summer champagne corks have been popped when we've lost players. It doesn't get more negative and cynical than that.

For the record, from a team that was on the verge of winning a Cup a few months ago, we've now lost core players Jay McKee and J.P. Dumont, a huge role player in Mike Grier, a serviceable forward in Taylor Pyatt and decent depth at defense in Rory Fitzpatrick and Doug Janik. We've added Jaroslav Spacek. I pray that people more knowledgeable than I about our prospects are right that a bunch of them are ready to step in. And, no, this is not a post slamming Golisano's commitment to winning. I am happy with his commitment, to this point. It's just a statement of reality. We've lost a lot while at the same time locking up a good part of our young core for the near future. Will this be a team that takes a step back before taking two steps forward? Oops, just being negative. Sorry, can't have that here. It's gotta be lockstep down Main Street, singing Kumbaya.

You're really worried about the loss of Taylor Pyatt, and Rory Fitzpatrick?

Spacek fits our system better than McKee.

I would like to have Grier and Dumont back, but looking at the roster right now, I am happy with our 12 forwards and 6 defenseman, and I think Paetsch is ready to step in as a #7 guy.

I hate to break it to you PA, but this team is picking up right where it left off.

Warpath, I'll consider it good news when I see someone better than Fitzpatrick step in when we have the inevitable injury bug at some point. We'll see how Sard, Cunk and Fekera do.

Since Rory is a #7 or 8 defenseman, anyone "better than Fitzpatrick" would probably crack some team's starting six.

And, oh yeah, don't anoint me Mr. Negative. Corp's post is about the third time this summer champagne corks have been popped when we've lost players. It doesn't get more negative and cynical than that.

For the record, from a team that was on the verge of winning a Cup a few months ago, we've now lost core players Jay McKee and J.P. Dumont, a huge role player in Mike Grier, a serviceable forward in Taylor Pyatt and decent depth at defense in Rory Fitzpatrick and Doug Janik. We've added Jaroslav Spacek. I pray that people more knowledgeable than I about our prospects are right that a bunch of them are ready to step in. And, no, this is not a post slamming Golisano's commitment to winning. I am happy with his commitment, to this point. It's just a statement of reality. We've lost a lot while at the same time locking up a good part of our young core for the near future. Will this be a team that takes a step back before taking two steps forward? Oops, just being negative. Sorry, can't have that here. It's gotta be lockstep down Main Street, singing Kumbaya.

I am not going to disagree that losing Janik and Rory might hurt us, simply in terms of depth, but I'll be the first one to take issue with your other points. Taylor Pyatt, a servicable forward? Sure - at an Andrew Peters salary, but not at $1M plus. And I definitely don't agree that McKee and Dumont are/were part of our core, but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that.

And just to be clear - its not OK to be happy that a player (or players) who didn't contribute much (Pyatt, Rory, et al) are leaving town, but it IS OK to purposly screw up the names of our up & coming prospects?

We need all the good karma we can get if we want to bring home the big trophy.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: after the way the hockey gods have pissed all over us in recent years, I say we invoke the old Pedro Cerrano attitude: "Screw You, Jobu - we'll do it ourselves."

Dave -- just to be clear, can Paetsch start the season in Rochester w/o clearing waivers? ie he only has to clear waivers if he starts the season in Buffalo (or we call him up at some point) and then want to send him back down? Or, are you saying that if we want him to start the season in Rochester, he first has to clear waivers?

If the latter is the case, I don't think he will clear waivers. I think there are enough teams that are interested in raiding our icebox so that a guy like Paetsch, who put up real scoring numbers in the AHL, will get claimed.

FWIW, while I prefer Paetsch (or even Jillson) over Rory as the #7 defenseman, I agree with PAFan that it's not very nice to be celebrating Rory's departure. We need all the good karma we can get if we want to bring home the big trophy.

He cannot start the season in Ra-cha-cha without 1st clearing waivers (unless it is for an injury rehab assignment).

All players that get "loaned" to a minor league team must clear waivers if they meet the professional experience threshold (although it's a sliding scale, for the most part it's 3 years, Article 13 of the CBA has the details). Paetsch is 23 and has been with the Amerks for 3 years so he must clear waivers to play for Ra-cha-cha.

Since Rory is a #7 or 8 defenseman, anyone "better than Fitzpatrick" would probably crack some team's starting six.

I am not going to disagree that losing Janik and Rory might hurt us, simply in terms of depth, but I'll be the first one to take issue with your other points. Taylor Pyatt, a servicable forward? Sure - at an Andrew Peters salary, but not at $1M plus. And I definitely don't agree that McKee and Dumont are/were part of our core, but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on that.

And just to be clear - its not OK to be happy that a player (or players) who didn't contribute much (Pyatt, Rory, et al) are leaving town, but it IS OK to purposly screw up the names of our up & coming prospects?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: after the way the hockey gods have pissed all over us in recent years, I say we invoke the old Pedro Cerrano attitude: "Screw You, Jobu - we'll do it ourselves."

I am starting to be convinced that no matter what happens, some people will still predict doom and gloom.

Good point. Maybe I should have said "when I see someone as good as Fitzpatrick. I just don't know what's down on the farm. One game of NHL experience, I think.

hopeles, you talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? No predictions here, just worries that we're thin on D. But I can see how there isn't much the Sabres can do about it, given the budget. Then again, there WAS something they could do about it last year, and they still didn't do it.

Good point. Maybe I should have said "when I see someone as good as Fitzpatrick. I just don't know what's down on the farm. One game of NHL experience, I think.

hopeles, you talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? No predictions here, just worries that we're thin on D. But I can see how there isn't much the Sabres can do about it, given the budget. Then again, there WAS something they could do about it last year, and they still didn't do it.

Yes I was talking to you actually. I disagree with you big time about Teppo as well. While Teppo may have had his problems last year, and he is another year older, there are a few reasons why I see this year being different.

1. He had heart surgery, and the doctors cleared him to play. Since I am not an expert in medicine, I am going to go with the Dr.

2. This season has an easier schedule. Last year, Teppo had a very busy Olympic break, playing all the way to the gold medal game, and then came back and had a very busy March, and it pretty much continued through the playoffs. That schedule could wear anyone down.

3. I think Paetsch is ready to fill in when needed to give Teppo a rest.

I am anxious to see Paetsch during training camp and the preseason games. He really came out of nowhere as an "overager" that the Sabres drafted in one of the late rounds. From what I read he made some good strides in his defensive game last year, but it's a big jump up to the NHL.

I am anxious to see Paetsch during training camp and the preseason games. He really came out of nowhere as an "overager" that the Sabres drafted in one of the late rounds. From what I read he made some good strides in his defensive game last year, but it's a big jump up to the NHL.

I agree it's a big jump to the NHL, but if he makes the jump as a #7 defenseman, it's going to take some pressure off.

I honesty just don't think Ftizpatrick is a good defenseman. Watching the CF last year, even with all our injuries and all the rookies, he was STILL our worst defenseman. I was really suprised when i read he got a 1-way contract. Two years ago when the clutching and grabbing was still in the game, I actually thought he could be a top 4 defenseman. Last year, his inepititude was glaring. I can't remember how many times I saw him either get burned or take a holding penalty. Also he was a liability breaking the puck out of our zone. Point being, I'd rather have any of those other guys that stepped in last year over Fitzy.

Congrats on the contract Fitzgerald, but I am glad to see you go.

I honesty just don't think Ftizpatrick is a good defenseman. Watching the CF last year, even with all our injuries and all the rookies, he was STILL our worst defenseman. I was really suprised when i read he got a 1-way contract. Two years ago when the clutching and grabbing was still in the game, I actually thought he could be a top 4 defenseman. Last year, his inepititude was glaring. I can't remember how many times I saw him either get burned or take a holding penalty. Also he was a liability breaking the puck out of our zone. Point being, I'd rather have any of those other guys that stepped in last year over Fitzy.

Congrats on the contract Fitzgerald, but I am glad to see you go.

If that's the case, it was probably the only way they could get him to sign with them.

As an aside, earlier in this thread, I posted that Rory had to get a 1-way deal. I was incorrect on that. Had he been an RFA, he would have to have received a 1-way QO due to the # of games he played last season and in the last 3 seasons and because he didn't clear waivers last season. The requirement for a 1-way offer is only for QO's. The team and player can negotiate 1 or 2 way deals for all other SPC's except Entry Level deals which must be 2-way deals. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

If that's the case, it was probably the only way they could get him to sign with them.

As an aside, earlier in this thread, I posted that Rory had to get a 1-way deal. I was incorrect on that. Had he been an RFA, he would have to have received a 1-way QO due to the # of games he played last season and in the last 3 seasons and because he didn't clear waivers last season. The requirement for a 1-way offer is only for QO's. The team and player can negotiate 1 or 2 way deals for all other SPC's except Entry Level deals which must be 2-way deals. Sorry if I caused any confusion.

I've been trying to find the explanation for that one, stupid legal wording used throughout the CBA. It makes perfect sense that he is allowed to sign a two-way deal. They'd be screwing the older journeyman-type players, the Chris Taylor's of the would, out of jobs if they could only sign one-way deals.

• 1 month later...

If Rory hurries, maybe he can nab Mika's old apartment. :P

Ouch! That was harsh. :ph34r:

Yes I was talking to you actually. I disagree with you big time about Teppo as well. While Teppo may have had his problems last year, and he is another year older, there are a few reasons why I see this year being different.

1. He had heart surgery, and the doctors cleared him to play. Since I am not an expert in medicine, I am going to go with the Dr.

2. This season has an easier schedule. Last year, Teppo had a very busy Olympic break, playing all the way to the gold medal game, and then came back and had a very busy March, and it pretty much continued through the playoffs. That schedule could wear anyone down.

I'm glad to see someone not only cut Teppo some slack, but to also give him more than the benefit of a doubt. From what I observed from last season, he was actually quite productive. Never mind what his +/- rating was or how many goals he scored, he contributed to all those assists.

BTW, Teppo. If you're reading this, you have nothing to be ashamed about with last year. Even if you didn't get the Gold Medal, Silver is better than nothing. Look at what happened to Team USA and Team Canada!

Archived