Best news of the summer!

Corp000085

I would not have minded him here as a #7 or first call up from Rochester. If you take Jillson out of the mix(which is a no-brainer in my eyes), you have Paetsch who has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level and 3 guys who have no pro experience at any level(Card, Funk & Sekera). To me this is going to lead to the same problem the Sabres had last year when the injury bug hit the blueline.

I would not have minded him here as a #7 or first call up from Rochester. If you take Jillson out of the mix(which is a no-brainer in my eyes), you have Paetsch who has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level and 3 guys who have no pro experience at any level(Card, Funk & Sekera). To me this is going to lead to the same problem the Sabres had last year when the injury bug hit the blueline.

I'm ready to develop some fresh talent, like paetsch rather than having older journeymen guys like fitzpatrick waste a spot. I'll give it to you that fitz heightened his play during the latter half of the carolina series, however, he still ended up being a major reason why we lost game 7. I'm just sorry that he's a local.

Yes, great news indeed! We lose more experienced defensive depth! NHL caliber defensemen? We don't need no NHL caliber defensemen! Good call Corp! And Teppo, wherever you are, remember to take your vitamins! And your heart meds. And keep that old knee loose, and that old groin tight. Yessir. The bi*tch is dead! Ding .

Yes, great news indeed! We lose more experienced defensive depth! NHL caliber defensemen? We don't need no NHL caliber defensemen! Good call Corp! And Teppo, wherever you are, remember to take your vitamins! And your heart meds. And keep that old knee loose, and that old groin tight. Yessir. The bi*tch is dead! Ding .

Rory is not a top 6 defensemen... Apparently your stance is that the sabres #7 defenseman be an experienced guy, nevermind the upside... Mine is that we develop a younger defenseman with potentially less talent and/or experience but more upside. So yes, it was an excellent call by me!

Come on, Corp, we should be stockpiling experienced, NHL-ready defensemen at Rochester so we have the depth to survive a couple little bumps & bruises like last year's playoffs. I can't believe Darcy is neglecting the D-corps like this - why don't we have 9 or 10 NHL-ready defensemen on our depth chart?

Come on, Corp, we should be stockpiling experienced, NHL-ready defensemen at Rochester so we have the depth to survive a couple little bumps & bruises like last year's playoffs. I can't believe Darcy is neglecting the D-corps like this - why don't we have 9 or 10 NHL-ready defensemen on our depth chart?

Especially ones that qualify for 1 way contracts. That way, when the Sabres call them up to allieviate the inevitable injury crises, they can pay 50% of their salary to the team that they do end up playing for after they are claimed off recall waivers. (Where's that D'oh smiley when you need it?)

If the Sabres get to a point in the year when two of their top 6 blueliners are hurt at the same time and they need to recall Jillson because the only thing down on the farm are some green rookies, don't come crying to me about how bad Jillson sucks.

I'm not saying that they need to go out and sign another NHL top 6 dman, just go get a guy that may have some minor league experience and maybe even some NHL experience who they can sign to a 2 way contract as a #7 or a #8 blueliner.

I have to agree that severing ties with Fitz is for the better; both in the short-term and long-run.

That said, I have some pangs of conscience in piling-on the guy; he always seemed to leave it all on the ice (and, unfortunately, left loose pucks sitting between his skates as well).

I've said it several times...you are going into the season with 3 blueliners in Rochester who have yet to play a lick of professional hockey at any level(doesn't mean they won't be good two or three years form now), you have Paetsch who has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level and you have Jillson who flat out SUCKS. If they had re-signed Janik or Fitzpatrick and dumped Jillson, I'd feel a hell of a lot better right now.

If there is anybody out there who believes that Jillson is on par or better than Fitzpatrick??

PS Do you really view last years playoff injuries as a "couple of bumps and bruises"?? :blink: :blink:

I've said it several times...you are going into the season with 3 blueliners in Rochester who have yet to play a lick of professional hockey at any level(doesn't mean they won't be good two or three years form now), you have Paetsch who has had a cup of coffee at the NHL level and you have Jillson who flat out SUCKS. If they had re-signed Janik or Fitzpatrick and dumped Jillson, I'd feel a hell of a lot better right now.

If there is anybody out there who believes that Jillson is on par or better than Fitzpatrick??

PS Do you really view last years playoff injuries as a "couple of bumps and bruises"?? :blink: :blink:

Not to argue semantics, but I think the guys in Rochester are considered professional hockey players. You pretty much get that designation as soon as you start getting paid to play.

Would I feel better with someone like Rory as our no. 7? Sure, a little - as long as he's going to be a "fill in a couple games here and there" kind of guy. Long-term? I'd rather see Paetsch, or even Jillson, so they can get accumstomed to the speed of the NHL game, and continue to develop. While I am not a "fan"of Jillson, I also think he can be a servicable defenseman, like Rory was, if he isn't pressed into long-term service. For the record, I was surprised they let Janik go, and I think that will hurt in terms of depth.

As for the PS, that wasn't a serious comment; I was poking fun at those who suggested that we should keep stockpiling defensemen and keep them playing at Rochester, so we'll have some sort of NHL-ready depth that All-Star teams only dream of. Its that damn "fast reply" box - you don't get the popup list of smilies when you use that...

That said, I have some pangs of conscience in piling-on the guy; he always seemed to leave it all on the ice (and, unfortunately, left loose pucks sitting between his skates as well).

I don't think anyone can question his heart. It's just that he was more of a liability than an asset on the ice. He is 31 or 32 and isn't going to get any better. The guys in Rochester on the other hand have more room to improve at this point.

Not to argue semantics, but I think the guys in Rochester are considered professional hockey players. You pretty much get that designation as soon as you start getting paid to play.

He's talking about Card, Funk and Sekera. They have not played any professional hockey prior to this season (I'm not familiar with the European leagues, so it's possible that Sekera has).

The wild card in all of the discussion about which guy(s) to keep as the 7 (& 8) D-man is that Janik would have to have cleared waivers to go to Ra-cha-cha, Paetsch would have to clear waivers to go to Ra-cha-cha, and Rory will be on a 1 way contract (which means he would not go to Ra-cha-cha).

After the playoff performance that Doug and Nathan had, I don't see either one pulling a Pominville (i.e., making it to Rochester unclaimed). If Rory could get a 2 way contract (which in my reading of the CBA, he can't) or if Paetsch could go to Rochester without 1st passing through waivers (which he can't), then I would like to have seen Rory back.

If there was a reasonable likelihood that Paetsch or Janik could clear waivers without being claimed, then I would like to have seen them both back. I really liked the idea of having those 2 as the #7 and 8 heading into this season, but I don't see the Sabres keeping 8 D on the big roster and #8 would be claimed by someone if they tried to send him down.

The Sabres will probably have to pick up a journeyman to send to Ra-cha-cha, so they have someone besides Jillson and Panthers showing the young kids the ropes.

BTW, I hope Rory does well in Vancover, if that is where he ends up. He seems like a good guy, he just couldn't get a handle of the mental aspects of the "new NHL" well enough to be more than a legit #8 on this team.

He's talking about Card, Funk and Sekera. They have not played any professional hockey prior to this season (I'm not familiar with the European leagues, so it's possible that Sekera has).

Oh yeah, Card, Funk and Sekera. Who needs Kalinin? Play hardball, Darce! Actually, the best news of the summer would be for the Sabres to trade Dmitri's useless ass out of here. Who needs 'im? It would be the best news of the summer! Make that second best.

My mistake - I wasn't sure who he was referring to.

Oh yeah, Card, Funk and Sekera. Who needs Kalinin? Play hardball, Darce! Actually, the best news of the summer would be for the Sabres to trade Dmitri's useless ass out of here. Who needs 'im? It would be the best news of the summer! Make that second best.

:huh: :huh: :huh:

This proves that you go with your negative posts all the time just so you can start an argument. What does having 3 first year pros in Rochester have to do with Kalinen negotiations?

Dave, I'm no sold on the fact that guys like Janik and Paetsch would be claimed off of waivers. Better players have gone through unclaimed. If they're going to claim these guys, they need the NHL roster space for it and I doubt very many teams have that.

+14 in 55 games

+ 4 in 8 playoff games.

We could use another useless ass like that :P

The guy has a tremendous upside, but the stay at home role was already being played by

McKee when they needed it. I think he'll emerge this year in a big way.

This proves that you go with your negative posts all the time just so you can start an argument. What does having 3 first year pros in Rochester have to do with Kalinen negotiations?

Dave, I'm no sold on the fact that guys like Janik and Paetsch would be claimed off of waivers. Better players have gone through unclaimed. If they're going to claim these guys, they need the NHL roster space for it and I doubt very many teams have that.

You could be right, in which case, shame on the Sabres for letting Janik go.

I don't think Janik would clear waivers back down, but we might be able to find out if he would or wouldn't in 1-1/2 months. He's on a 2 way deal with TB, if they try to send him down, we can see if anyone grabs him.

Warpath, I'll consider it good news when I see someone better than Fitzpatrick step in when we have the inevitable injury bug at some point. We'll see how Sard, Cunk and Fekera do.

Sarcasm.

As in... shrader and X. Benedict are among our most perceptive posters.

And, oh yeah, don't anoint me Mr. Negative. Corp's post is about the third time this summer champagne corks have been popped when we've lost players. It doesn't get more negative and cynical than that.

For the record, from a team that was on the verge of winning a Cup a few months ago, we've now lost core players Jay McKee and J.P. Dumont, a huge role player in Mike Grier, a serviceable forward in Taylor Pyatt and decent depth at defense in Rory Fitzpatrick and Doug Janik. We've added Jaroslav Spacek. I pray that people more knowledgeable than I about our prospects are right that a bunch of them are ready to step in. And, no, this is not a post slamming Golisano's commitment to winning. I am happy with his commitment, to this point. It's just a statement of reality. We've lost a lot while at the same time locking up a good part of our young core for the near future. Will this be a team that takes a step back before taking two steps forward? Oops, just being negative. Sorry, can't have that here. It's gotta be lockstep down Main Street, singing Kumbaya.

Archived