Sabres walk away from Dumont

phSabres84

Dave, given the latest Marty developments, do you think the team's snugness to the cap plus an expensive backup are setting the plate for some sort of multi-player trade, including (but not limited to) Max & Kotalik, or someone else? I mean there have to be other teams out there that need wingers, and still have some room under the cap, especially to pickup a couple young players who are locked up for three years.

Don't know if you caught Darcy on the radio, but he without hesitation referenced that player movement is not done, calling the cap a "work in progress". Things have not fully shaken out yet, for anyone... B-)

All right, my eyes are playing games with me. Your post says that JP was awarded 600k LESS than Kotalik's average salary. Wasn't Dumont awarded 2.9 and Kotalik's average contract 2.3? :blink:

Ugh brainfart on my behalf in the way I typed that, you're right I should have wrote JP was awarded 600k MORE than Kotalik's average salary.

I wonder, like many of you, if Briere will realize his salary caused his friend to leave. I wonder if instead, he'll blame the Sabres somehow and try to make Regier look bad.

With or without Briere, there was no way they were going to keep Dumont at $2.9 million.

Simply put, dumont was not worth that kind of scratch. I liked him and he was a steal for our team when we got him, but it's time to move on.

I don't want to hear Briere crying about it though. He got his big payday and he better accept that his salary has some input on the Sabres' decision to walk away from J.P.

J.P. won't get anywhere near $2.9 from someone else. I'm sure he will get around $1.9 which the Sabres would have honoured I do believe. It's too bad J.P. wouldn't take that here, but you can't blame him either.

I guess the Habs will be calling. Could be interesting.

Rangers

Don't know if you caught Darcy on the radio, but he without hesitation referenced that player movement is not done, calling the cap a "work in progress".

No, I didn't catch it. Thanks for the update!

Sorry, I tend to get attached to players who are key contributors to teams that come *this* close to winning a Cup. Please, let's forget the bean-counting for five seconds and agree that losing J.P. Dumont is not a good thing. I'm sure that's not possible. How 'bout we pop the champagne corks instead and celebrate his departure? And here's to losing Jay McKee and Mike Grier too.

Getting attached is one thing, but rosters change. Considering what was staring us in the face at the beginning of the off season, I'm pretty damn happy with what we have here. Losing JP sucks, he really could finish but I love the young players on this team and in the system. I think in the end, this moment will be but a blip on the radar.

Sorry, I tend to get attached to players who are key contributors to teams that come *this* close to winning a Cup. Please, let's forget the bean-counting for five seconds and agree that losing J.P. Dumont is not a good thing. I'm sure that's not possible. How 'bout we pop the champagne corks instead and celebrate his departure? And here's to losing Jay McKee and Mike Grier too.

Cheer up dude its Christmas.............. B-)

Two other players? I know one is Jillson, who's the other? Either or Jillson or Paetch will be in Rochester, so that won't cost against the cap and their actual salary will be relatively low due to a two way contract.

Also dave, I think there some be some kind of penalty for walking away from an arbitration, so the team should be allowed to re-sign the player.

edit: According to nhlpa.com, Novotny and Thorburn haven't signed yet. Is one of them the 2nd player you're talking about?

Sabres have 19 NHLers (if Paetsch is included) signed currently. An NHL roster typically has 23 players. Ryan and Kalinin will in all probability be on the roster. That leaves 2 more slots to fill (assuming the team goes with 23).

I would guess that the 2 other players will be Novotny and Thorburn, but they could be any combination of those 2, Paille, Jillson, MacArthur, and/or a player picked up for Marty or Ales(?).

I'm not sure what you intended to say regarding walking away from arbitration. I think you were trying to say that there should be a penalty for a team that walks away from a decision. There IS a penalty for walking away from it, the team no longer has exclusive negotiating rights with that player.

Or would you prefer to see a situation where the Sabres would have to let Kotalik go because they cannot drop Dumont's deal to get back under the cap? A situation like that could have been extremely harsh had Danny's hearing been the last one and had the team budgeted for him to get a $3.5MM award but instead of getting $5MM he got $6MM because Havlat did.

I'm getting in on this late, so please pardon my failure to address responses by name. But those who are calling out Briere, think of this (and if this has been posted previously, my apologies): at $4.5M, where the Sabres wanted him, would the Dumont deal still be possible? Nope, not with the cap.

We wanted the cap, it's good that we have the cap, it's sad that we lose JP. Is all. Let's hope he doesn't sign in the division.

Dumont will sign with the Canadiens or the Red Wings, there's no doubt in my mind. Montreal is a perfect fit for him and you know they are going to have interest in him considering he's french canadian. And Detroit was supposedly trying to sign Anson Carter but wouldnt commit to $3 Million/year. Dumont is a good fit there too. Either way, you're crazy if you think he'll re-sign in Buffalo. We can't afford to pay him anyway.

And if Briere complains about this he can look in the mirror and see why his buddy is wearing a Canadiens sweater next season.

Unless you can name someone who's better than Dumont who's ready to step in, it's not good news. I understand why it happened, and I hope we can somehow get him back as a FA. But there's no way it's good news. It's terrible, depressing news.

Pominville will fit in nicely. Mair is healthy and back on the fourth line. There was another thread with mock line-ups that pretty much covered it in addition to the post above.

The thing that disturbed me the most about what Darcy said about shopping Dumont is that

there was interest but every team that wanted him only wanted him if they could dump salary by

forcing a player on Buffalo.

That doesn't bode well at all for horsetrading.

See Ya JP.

Either Paille or Stafford need to step up the way Pommy did last season.

Archived