I Love the New Logo

eggo

Besides, isn't it more fun to think of management as being evil geniuses rather than dolts that couldn't see the problems with this one coming from a mile away?

Nothing to do with this logo switch is fun. But I still can't imagine someone coming up with that plan and getting others to agree to it ... it's one thing for you to think it up and post it here, it's quite another for Quinn or someone to walk into Tommy G's office and say "Here's my plan ... remember my great idea to change the colors back to get the fans excited and make us more cash? Forget that ... let's piss off our fans with a HORRIBLE logo so they DON'T buy it, then a year later we'll come back with a good logo AND get more revenue sharing money because the first one tanked!"

Sounds like something they would come up with on Long Island...

back to the new UB logo... I like it, a lot.

only problem is that the uniforms and helmet are almost exactly like Kentucky... the comparisons were posted in a forum at sportslogos.net and they are 99.9% the same. Not that I care, anything is better than the old uni's and helmet.

We definitely need a woman here to help us men detect subtle differences in colors. Women have that gene that allows them to see 11 shades of navy blue. I THINK the gold in the proposed logo is a darker shade of yellow than in the original logo. It seems to be on its way to orange. Then again, unless you are looking at an authentic Sabres blue and gold uniform, it's kind of hard to say. I'm looking at color photos, a jacket I have, etc. Bottom line here is that they updated the colors a bit, but not dramatically. It's still blue and gold and that will make people happy. The colors are not the problem here.

Since I'm in a major minority, I had a feeling that people would think that I worked for the company that designed the logo or the Sabres or something like that....and they were right...Just kidding :) I'm just a lowly fan. I know that because of the anonymity of the web there's not really anything I can say that will prove that, but its the truth.

It's funny because, just like most people can't understand what I like about it, I have no idea what everyone hates about it. I know its all personal opinion and I think it has alot to do with personal expectation. When everyone heard 'blue and gold' they immediately thought 'vintage logo' so when the design was leaked and it wasn't vintage looking everyone was disappointed. However, if you take the words for what they are then, like myself, you would be just expecting a color change. Personally I thought they would just change the current logo to blue and gold(yellow). Since I absolutely hate the angry goat I was bummed at this idea, but thought a color change was in order. When I saw that there were new colors AND a new logo I was thrilled.

On the other hand if everyone hates it as much as it seems, then I would surprised if they would go with it. However, maybe their marketing research showed that this logo screams out to a specific demographic that they are trying to target, in which case, maybe they will be selling to a group that previously had little interest. Or maybe they didn't do any research or didn't give much thought (which would be stupid) and took the first idea they had. Either way I like it.

Since I'm in a major minority, I had a feeling that people would think that I worked for the company that designed the logo or the Sabres or something like that....and they were right...Just kidding :) I'm just a lowly fan. I know that because of the anonymity of the web there's not really anything I can say that will prove that, but its the truth.

It's funny because, just like most people can't understand what I like about it, I have no idea what everyone hates about it. I know its all personal opinion and I think it has alot to do with personal expectation. When everyone heard 'blue and gold' they immediately thought 'vintage logo' so when the design was leaked and it wasn't vintage looking everyone was disappointed. However, if you take the words for what they are then, like myself, you would be just expecting a color change. Personally I thought they would just change the current logo to blue and gold(yellow). Since I absolutely hate the angry goat I was bummed at this idea, but thought a color change was in order. When I saw that there were new colors AND a new logo I was thrilled.

On the other hand if everyone hates it as much as it seems, then I would surprised if they would go with it. However, maybe their marketing research showed that this logo screams out to a specific demographic that they are trying to target, in which case, maybe they will be selling to a group that previously had little interest. Or maybe they didn't do any research or didn't give much thought (which would be stupid) and took the first idea they had. Either way I like it.

It's all a matter of personal taste, and you happen to like the logo. That's cool.

As for the not understanding what people hate about it, there are over 20 threads on this one site alone discussing the proposed new logo. If you read 3 or 4 of them, you should have a pretty good idea of what people don't like about it. (You may still have questions regarding "why" they don't like it, but you will definitely know "what" they don't like.)

As for why the team would still run with it for '06-'07, there have been several plausible theories (and some implausible ones as well B-) ) generated in those threads as well.

I don't love the new logo but I definitely don't hate it with a passion like some of you guys. If that's what the Sabres want to roll out then fine, I'll give it a chance and support them. They listened to the fans and went back to blue & gold so for that I'm happy. It seems like the only way to make everyone happy is to go back to the 1970's old logo and uniforms. Sorry, but that era is over. I'm happy to see the retro uni's 8 times a year or whatever but not full time. I never understood the Buffalonian mentality that everything has to stay old. Anything progressive in this city is shot down. Build a nice new glass high rise hotel??? No, let's gut an old eyesore building instead of building new. I'm surprised we actually have a modern airport here instead of a 1950's style red brick building for a terminal?!?!?

Anyway, my point is that people are getting way too uptight about this new logo. I think the mob mentality has really made it out to be something horrible. Get a life folks. The team just came off a fantastic season and all I hear this offseason is bitching and whining about a logo. We should thank our lucky stars that we have a great owner that kept the team here.

It seems like the only way to make everyone happy is to go back to the 1970's old logo and uniforms. Sorry, but that era is over.

At the risk of repeating myself, NO ONE wants the logo and uniforms duplicated from the '70's to a T. A blue and gold scheme with an updated logo BASED on the original one is all people are asking for.

At the risk of repeating myself, NO ONE wants the logo and uniforms duplicated from the '70's to a T. A blue and gold scheme with an updated logo BASED on the original one is all people are asking for.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING. We have a winner!!!

I loved the old white jerseys, but I was never very fond of the blue road jerseys. I thought they needed another color. The white jerseys had the 3 colors, which I think looked better than the road jerseys with just 2 colors.

Just my opinion.

You would still have at least 50% of the people absolutely hating it. No one can agree on an updated Buffalo with the swords logo on any message boards. Face it, people love to complain,,,,,and people hate anything new and different. Add these two facts together and you will never get consensus agreement on anything.

You would still have at least 50% of the people absolutely hating it. No one can agree on an updated Buffalo with the swords logo on any message boards. Face it, people love to complain,,,,,and people hate anything new and different. Add these two facts together and you will never get consensus agreement on anything.

Well I think there's an overwhelming opinion AGAINST the SLUG!

No friggin' way would 50% of the people hate what I just described. After seeing the slug logo being tossed around, an updated version of the original uni's and logo would have a 90% approval rating or higher.

No friggin' way would 50% of the people hate what I just described. After seeing the slug logo being tossed around, an updated version of the original uni's and logo would have a 90% approval rating or higher.

I agree with the last part. It's gotten to the point where anything they roll out that is not the "slug" will be well received.

I loved the old white jerseys, but I was never very fond of the blue road jerseys. I thought they needed another color. The white jerseys had the 3 colors, which I think looked better than the road jerseys with just 2 colors. Just my opinion.

I always thought the blue ones looked horrible on TV, but when I went to a couple road games I thought they looked REALLY good in person. Weird thing. And yes, I have added nothing to the discussion. I am so annoyed by it I wish it would go away.

You really ought to put that in your sig, or under your avatar, or somewhere so everyone sees it and you can stop repeating yourself. Seriously, that "the 70s are over, why don't we go back to the Aud with Perrault, LaFontaine & co. while we're at it?" attitude is getting tiresome. Seems like there are two or three of those comments on every page of every logo discussion. I don't want to go back to the original logo & uniforms at all, but I just want an updated blue & gold scheme - with an updated BUFFALO SABRES logo. I have no idea what that slug is supposed to be, but it ain't a Buffalo and it has nothing to do with our team.

I hate to keep banging the drum for Slabyk and the Celsius Designs concepts, but he really showed how the original logo - Buffalo and Crossed Sabres - could be updated for the new color scheme and not be too gimicky. Instead of going with a solid, traditional logo (uh-oh, there's that word, guess I am also wishing for Grant Fuhr and the Orange Seats as well) they're looking in the other direction - shoving a crappy futuristic logo that no one likes down our throats. Listening between the lines to Gilbert's interview on WBEN, the team seems to be willing to give the finger to the fans (i.e. its customers) and push forward with it.

Does anyone honestly think if they rolled out a modified logo that 50% of the fans would hate it? I mean really, 50%? I could see 15% - mostly younger fans who grew up with the black & red - fighting it, but a 50% complaint rate seems way high for that. Besides, like Labatt said - now that we have focused our venom towards the slug, almost anything will seem like an improvement.

If the team does try to force the slug down our throats, the only recourse is this - don't buy it. No jerseys, no t-shirts, no beer mugs, no license plate holders, no car flags - nothing with the slug on it. Sagging merchandise sales are the only way they'll understand we, the fans (not TG, Darcy, Larry Quinn, et al) are the consumers and the source of their financial success.

Does anyone honestly think if they rolled out a modified logo (i.e. the one in my avatar - hint hint) that 50% of the fans would hate it? I mean really, 50%? I could see 15% - mostly younger fans who grew up with the black & red fighting it, but a 50% complaint rate seems way high for that. Besides, like Labatt said - now that we have focused our venom towards the slug, almost anything will seem like an improvement.

Wolfie's got the best logo that I've seen. A mean Buffalo head coming at you, over crossed Sabres. Brilliant!

The team just came off a fantastic season and all I hear this offseason is bitching and whining about a logo. We should thank our lucky stars that we have a great owner that kept the team here.

Amen Brother, I don't like the logo either but think we need to get a grip and enjoy the summer. I think it's a bad decision to go with the new logo, but how does that really change our lives any?

• 3 weeks later...

It seems the online petition is slowing down. Perhaps people are starting to like the idea of a new logo. I can't wait 'til September 25th!!

No...the new logo is still a slug, will always be a slug and none of my money will ever go towards slug related merchandise. :angry:

It seems the online petition is slowing down. Perhaps people are starting to like the idea of a new logo. I can't wait 'til September 25th!!

Larry, is that you? You'd done so well in hiding, how could you slip up now?

Archived