I Love the New Logo

eggo

may be the best made point yet about these morons suggesting to "wait and see the jersey" :lol: :lol:

I think the approach should be more of a wait and see if this is the actual logo, for all we know, some kid in his parents basement on a computer has just pulled one of the biggest jokes in NHL History (well accept for the Leafs lack of a cup contendor, that may be the best joke)

I think the approach should be more of a wait and see if this is the actual logo, for all we know, some kid in his parents basement on a computer has just pulled one of the biggest jokes in NHL History (well accept for the Leafs lack of a cup contendor, that may be the best joke)

It's the logo. I know a guy in the Sabres' marketing/PR and he confirms it is, and they think winning some games come start of the season, and people will forget that they hate the logo and will actually buy the thing.

It's the logo. I know a guy in the Sabres' marketing/PR and he confirms it is, and they think winning some games come start of the season, and people will forget that they hate the logo and will actually buy the thing.

I simply don't see that happening (the buying of cruddy merchandise, jury's still out on a fast start out of the gate). EVENTUALLY, people will buy that crud, if that is all that is available to them. But it won't happen this season. (Yes, people will buy some stuff, but NO WHERE close to what they would buy if the marketing group didn't screw the pooch on this one.)

Yes, people ended up buying stuff with the r&b, but there were a few extenuating circumstances that helped get people to accept the change. 1st - the team was going to a new building and fans were given a long lead time to accept that the sweaters (and very likely, the logo as well) would change to reflect the start of a new era (in a new building). 2nd - the team was coming off a horrible season. It was an entertaining season (hardest working team in hockey) but lousy record-wise none-the-less. 3rd - the Sabres had EXACTLY ONE trip past the 2nd round in the past 12 years and won a grand total of ZERO games beyond the 1st round in that time. People were willing to forego "celebrating the tradition", especially when a team with the 3rd worst record in the conference the previous year won their division after the color change AND finally won A game in the 2nd round. 4th - While I would have preferred to keep the colors, the sweaters were pretty sharp, IMHO, and while not perfect, the Shatanic goat was at least tough looking, and let's face it r&b were trendy at the time when the Sabres go to those buildings.

None of those 4 circumstances exist at this time. Heck, not only doesn't the abomination look tough or mean, the darn thing is YELLOW and arcing DOWNWARD. How the heck is that a good combination? The marketers have TOTALLY dropped the ball on this one. Even if the styling of the sweater looks good (and I will throw them a bone and assume that it does), this is going to be one of the most embarrassing designs ever.

The point of making a change like this is to get people to buy the stuff TODAY, not 1 (or more) year(s) from now. I don't see people making a bee line to the Sabres Store to buy this junk. Heck, I think they'd sell more merchandise if they used Sabretooth as the logo rather than this joke. Although it would be cartoonish, it would at least be cartoonish with something people LIKE. (No, I am not suggesting they do put Sabretooth on the sweater, I just think it would be less sad than the current choice.)

My hope at this time is that the team play in their 3rd sweater for about 39 games and talk the Isles into wearing the Gorton's fisherman for 1 and the Canucks into wearing the V, so the team doesn't have by far the cruddiest uni on the ice at the time. I would then have them petition the league to be allowed to wear either the white b&g or r&b as a "throwback" for about 39 games and, once again, talk the Isles into wearing the Gorton's fisherman and getting the Blues to wear the abomination they designed but had the good taste and sense to never wear in the '90's.

That is one of the things I admire about the MLB Twins and Indians. They recognize their young talent and lock them up. And some of them turn out to be super players who are locked in to longer deals at a moderate value. And when the contract expires they move on.

Ah, yes, the Indians. Grady Sizemore, Travis Hafner, and Victor Martinez. Problem is, the Indians are still 20 games out because they are incapable of putting together a complete effort every game. One day (most days actually), the pitching sucks, then it's the fielding going down the toilet, the next game they can't run bases, and finally they score 2 runs per game for 3 games in a row when their pitching doesn't suck. Can you tell I'm a Tribe fan? Very frustrating, along with my Sabres and Bills! I'm a glutton for punishment, I tell ya! Oh yeah, I agree with the rest of your post, also.

I even like Screamin'Weasel's Avatar Logo

Current and Classic

I like it, too. I like it a lot!

Finally, someone else that appreciates the new logo. Pretty much everyone I know hates it so I figured I'd look it up. When I finally saw it, I thought it must have been something different because I couldn't see what everyone dislikes about it. When I came across this thread I figured I'd put my two cents in. So here's what I like...

-the colors: 2 colors is all you really need and the fact that they are primary colors and practically opposing colors means that they stand out.

-the simplicity, minimalism, whatever you want to call it: IMHO, "busy" or complicated logos are only cool if you're looking at them from 2 feet away, at a distance they just look like a conglomarate of blocks of color, the detail is lost. This new logo is bright and big, you can see it's details from quite a distance because there aren't many details and they're big.

-the sleakness: whether you dislike the color, or the specific design, you have to admit that it is sleak looking, like its moving fast or like a blade or whatever you want to liken it too.

Some other thoughts...

At first I thought it was dumb that it doesn't have anything to do with "a sabre". However, neither does the current logo. Would I like to see a sword of some sort? Sure, maybe along the bottom side of the design. When you look at the logo, imagine a sword slicing across the shirt. Think of the buffalo as "speed lines" showing the movement of a sword, a hockey stick, a puck or a player. People have likened it to other logos, and the fact that it is overall similar to other teams tells me that the designers are on to something (ie, the chargers...the chargers logo is a lightning bolt which invokes a feeling of power and speed...isn't that a good thing to be likened to.) The Sabres are not only a team but a brand. The logo should stand out and be easily remembered which is exactly what this logo will do. It has the colors to remind long time fans of "the good ol' days" and the style that should be attractive to new fans.

Finally, someone else that appreciates the new logo. Pretty much everyone I know hates it so I figured I'd look it up. When I finally saw it, I thought it must have been something different because I couldn't see what everyone dislikes about it. When I came across this thread I figured I'd put my two cents in. So here's what I like...

-the colors: 2 colors is all you really need and the fact that they are primary colors and practically opposing colors means that they stand out.

-the simplicity, minimalism, whatever you want to call it: IMHO, "busy" or complicated logos are only cool if you're looking at them from 2 feet away, at a distance they just look like a conglomarate of blocks of color, the detail is lost. This new logo is bright and big, you can see it's details from quite a distance because there aren't many details and they're big.

-the sleakness: whether you dislike the color, or the specific design, you have to admit that it is sleak looking, like its moving fast or like a blade or whatever you want to liken it too.

Some other thoughts...

At first I thought it was dumb that it doesn't have anything to do with "a sabre". However, neither does the current logo. Would I like to see a sword of some sort? Sure, maybe along the bottom side of the design. When you look at the logo, imagine a sword slicing across the shirt. Think of the buffalo as "speed lines" showing the movement of a sword, a hockey stick, a puck or a player. People have likened it to other logos, and the fact that it is overall similar to other teams tells me that the designers are on to something (ie, the chargers...the chargers logo is a lightning bolt which invokes a feeling of power and speed...isn't that a good thing to be likened to.) The Sabres are not only a team but a brand. The logo should stand out and be easily remembered which is exactly what this logo will do. It has the colors to remind long time fans of "the good ol' days" and the style that should be attractive to new fans.

Welcome aboard Clay.

Some comments.

1. The logo doesn't have 2 colors, it has 4 colors (5 if you count white).

2. I agree simplicity can be good. But just because this abomination isn't "complex" (although it appears to be more complex than you give it credit for, as you didn't notice the silver or red in it) doesn't mean it is good. A stick figure of a buffalo would be simple and would be a lousy professional team logo (but would probably be better than this).

3. Yes, it is "sleek". So is a grease stain. Doesn't mean I want the team I am rooting for to wear one, although, again, I may actually prefer that to what has been proposed.

4. If we are imagining a saber or 2, why don't we stop imagining and actually place 1 or 2 on the logo. The entire sweater piping could be sabers, but that wouldn't mean that they would ever be shown on the graphic when the scores are being shown on TSN or regional sports outlets.

5. You are correct that the current logo doesn't have any sabers. That doesn't seem to help your argument that this new logo is good as the Shatanic goathead is very detailed and seems to assail your previous point about simplicity.

6. You are completely correct that the logo should stand out and be easily remembered. But remember, the Gorton's fisherman was easily remembered but was a truly horrible idea. A YELLOW thing (remember, we wanted BLUE and GOLD; not gold and blue and definitely not cowardly yellow) does not project positive images or connotations, especially when it is as abstract as this is. If you don't believe me on that one, check out the Canucks sweater from the mid-80's.

Once again Clay, welcome aboard.

I respect the opinion of people who like the logo, it's personal taste ... but if you need to explain why you like it to the tune of two long paragraphs and 3 bullet points, well ... the average consumer isn't going to take the time to listen to your pitch. Either the thing looks good to you or it doesn't ... and the vast majority seem to hate it.

What does everyone think about the new logo for the UB Bulls? Sorry, no linky.

Now the UB logo, I actually like. I have hated the disembodied, floating bull's head for as long as they have used it, and I didn't like the horns on the side of the helmets.

This logo I think is very good.

http://buffalonews.com/editorial/20060719/1048720.asp

http://www.ubathletics.buffalo.edu/headlin...2006-logo.shtml

new-logo-top_story.jpg

I agree with the majority opinion around here -- the hairy slug is awful and I would personally not wear anything with that thing on it. If ever there was an easy decision to make, the new Sabres logo should be it -- screw Madison Ave., go with something along the lines of Celsius Design's concepts, and the fans will buy merchandise like crazy. One need only look at the merchandise worn by fans at the playoff games this year: 10 years after the change to red and black, nearly half of the fans still wore the gold and blue.

A poor choice of logo will lead to fewer dollars in merchandising, which could lead to not having the money needed for a positional upgrade on the roster, which could lead to falling just short of the cup again. It's not a minor issue about a matter of taste. It's a critical issue for a small market team.

Some other thoughts...

Wow, it seems like you've given this alot of thought. You see I starting watching and following the sabres in the early eighties, whenever i see the old blue and gold uni's I think: "those are the real sabres uniforms" I didn't understand why they changed the look so drastically with different colors and all in '97

So when they said they would return to the "blue and gold" you can understand that I was thinking they'd go back to something similar perhaps an updated version of what they used to be.

I think alot of fans were thinking in a similar way.

Some other thoughts...

Alot of thought - yes ... But to me this again soounds like someone who might of had something to do with the design of the logo.

There are a lot of companies out there that have people create a buzzzzzzz about a product on message boards. I work for one such company. Anywho .... I am sure they are watching this board and wouldn't put it past anyone to not try to plead their case.

I agree with the majority opinion around here -- the hairy slug is awful and I would personally not wear anything with that thing on it. If ever there was an easy decision to make, the new Sabres logo should be it -- screw Madison Ave., go with something along the lines of Celsius Design's concepts, and the fans will buy merchandise like crazy. One need only look at the merchandise worn by fans at the playoff games this year: 10 years after the change to red and black, nearly half of the fans still wore the gold and blue.

A poor choice of logo will lead to fewer dollars in merchandising, which could lead to not having the money needed for a positional upgrade on the roster, which could lead to falling just short of the cup again. It's not a minor issue about a matter of taste. It's a critical issue for a small market team.

Holy cow.

The lightbulb just went on. (OK, so it's flickering, but on nonetheless. ;) )

This IS the Sabres real logo for next season and it was probably the preferred choice of Reebok and the NHL. I just figured out WHY the Sabres would go along with this abomination for next season, or possibly even the next 2 seasons (how ever long it takes to get rid of this) even though anyone remotely associated with the team would or should know that this would go over like a lead zeppelin.

The Sabres in all likelihood will be in the bottom half of revenue in '06-'07 and the foreseeable future. So they are eligible to get a full share of revenue sharing, provided they meet certain criteria after this next season. The criteria are based upon attendence (which the Sabres currently project to meet the target thresholds) and revenue increases on a %age basis (which may or may not be doable). (I don't know individual revenue breakdowns for each team, so I have no way of knowing where the Sabres will be falling on that spectrum.)

2 ways to boost revenue are from increasing TV revenue (it was posted by others here earlier that the Sabres TV contract is in limbo) and through merchandising sales. The TV contract will be what it will be, but I'd guess that the Sabres will have an escalator clause in it to make certain that the $'s that come in are higher at the end than at the beginning (thus boosting team revenue). (Increasing ticket prices can also boost revenues provided the increases aren't so great as to cause the demand to be elastic. I'd expect the Sabres to boost ticket prices comparably to other teams in the league, and doubt that this is where the team would look to increase revenues at a better clip than the rest of the league, as any HUGE ticket price increases will probably be met with empty seats.)

I also doubt very highly that the Sabres want their baseline year of merchandising revenue to be that of the 1st year with a uniform and logo design that the fans love and buy in droves. Let's face it, there aren't many idiots like me who will get something new with Sabres on it each year. '06-'07 is the baseline year, the Sabres would have been in good shape if they could have had the new duds this past season (as next year's sales would have been level or dropped off from this year's sales), but they will be hosed if stuff sells like crazy this coming season.

It actually is in their best interest to have stuff that people HATE this year (both sweaters and logo). That way, they can change to a good logo next season, and then a good sweater the following year. Revenues go up at a rate higher than the league average and the Sabres get a few million greenbacks added directly to the bottom line.

OK people, please feel free to punch holes in the theory.

I don't think there's any question we are starting to see some "push back" on the part of the Sabres and the design team. First the show on WGR and now the apparent planting of folks on message boards. It shows how desperate they are to turn the tide of opinion, but it won't work. This sled's going down an icy hill in a hurry. It's not coming back, Larry. Again, if the Sabres just owned up to the mistake and announced that they will play one more year in the goathead while designing a new uniform with lots of fan input, everyone could accept that. And they would score points with people for being a stand up organization, one that listens to its fans. Golisano can easily eat the costs of the failed design. Turning a negative into a positive is a good thing in public relations.

Dave, I wouldn't put too much stock in the colors you see on your screen. They don't usually match up with the actual color. The PMS colors indicated on the "confidential" logo sheet are pretty nice. The blue is darker than the original blue, and the "gold" is in the same neighborhood as the original -- more orang-y than yellow. I don't think calling the slug a "banana slug" is a fair representation of the actual color that the slug will be. :)

Holy cow.

The lightbulb just went on. (OK, so it's flickering, but on nonetheless. ;) )

This IS the Sabres real logo for next season and it was probably the preferred choice of Reebok and the NHL. I just figured out WHY the Sabres would go along with this abomination for next season, or possibly even the next 2 seasons (how ever long it takes to get rid of this) even though anyone remotely associated with the team would or should know that this would go over like a lead zeppelin.

The Sabres in all likelihood will be in the bottom half of revenue in '06-'07 and the foreseeable future. So they are eligible to get a full share of revenue sharing, provided they meet certain criteria after this next season. The criteria are based upon attendence (which the Sabres currently project to meet the target thresholds) and revenue increases on a %age basis (which may or may not be doable). (I don't know individual revenue breakdowns for each team, so I have no way of knowing where the Sabres will be falling on that spectrum.)

2 ways to boost revenue are from increasing TV revenue (it was posted by others here earlier that the Sabres TV contract is in limbo) and through merchandising sales. The TV contract will be what it will be, but I'd guess that the Sabres will have an escalator clause in it to make certain that the $'s that come in are higher at the end than at the beginning (thus boosting team revenue). (Increasing ticket prices can also boost revenues provided the increases aren't so great as to cause the demand to be elastic. I'd expect the Sabres to boost ticket prices comparably to other teams in the league, and doubt that this is where the team would look to increase revenues at a better clip than the rest of the league, as any HUGE ticket price increases will probably be met with empty seats.)

I also doubt very highly that the Sabres want their baseline year of merchandising revenue to be that of the 1st year with a uniform and logo design that the fans love and buy in droves. Let's face it, there aren't many idiots like me who will get something new with Sabres on it each year. '06-'07 is the baseline year, the Sabres would have been in good shape if they could have had the new duds this past season (as next year's sales would have been level or dropped off from this year's sales), but they will be hosed if stuff sells like crazy this coming season.

It actually is in their best interest to have stuff that people HATE this year (both sweaters and logo). That way, they can change to a good logo next season, and then a good sweater the following year. Revenues go up at a rate higher than the league average and the Sabres get a few million greenbacks added directly to the bottom line.

OK people, please feel free to punch holes in the theory.

Sounds a little too convaluted ... your reasoning makes sense, but couldn't they achieve almost the same result by keeping the goathead one more year and not alienating their fan base? Sure I'd be annoyed if they had announced they had to wait another year to change, but not as much as I will be with the slug.

Not to mention the fact that what if it doesn't work ... what if they win the Cup next year and people buy all kinds of stuff that says STANLEY CUP CHAMPS or something and now your base-line plan is screwed anyway ...

I don't know ... if the master plan of a franchise is to keep the team above water is to produce LESS revenue on purpose so that you can get some from the league, maybe that franchise should not exist. Either you are viable or you are not. I can't imagine the plan being to make less money on purpose.

Dave, that's interesting, but why not just keep the goathead for another season if they want to keep merchandise revenues low? Why risk a PR disaster that might make fans so disgruntled it could impact revenues in other areas?

Isn't what you are speculating kind of like sh*tting in your own yard?

A YELLOW thing (remember, we wanted BLUE and GOLD; not gold and blue and definitely not cowardly yellow)

I'm gonna have to argue this part, the old jersey's were more of a Blue and Yellow then Blue and Gold. (But its kind of splitting hairs arguing this cause Gold is really just a darker, and shinier yellow when you think of it) I find the new "Gold" looks more orange then anything else

Sounds a little too convaluted ... your reasoning makes sense, but couldn't they achieve almost the same result by keeping the goathead one more year and not alienating their fan base? Sure I'd be annoyed if they had announced they had to wait another year to change, but not as much as I will be with the slug.

Not to mention the fact that what if it doesn't work ... what if they win the Cup next year and people buy all kinds of stuff that says STANLEY CUP CHAMPS or something and now your base-line plan is screwed anyway ...

I don't know ... if the master plan of a franchise is to keep the team above water is to produce LESS revenue on purpose so that you can get some from the league, maybe that franchise should not exist. Either you are viable or you are not. I can't imagine the plan being to make less money on purpose.

They could, except they've been telling people since the end of the '02-'03 season that they're going to go back to b&g. If you're Larry Quinn, do you want to hear for yet another year "you told us you were going back to b&g, that's not happening, what else are you lying to us about" (or something to that effect)?

Didn't Pittsburgh change sweaters and logos immediately following their 2nd SC win? I'm pretty sure people still bought tons of that stuff that next year. Actually, if the Sabres win the SC this season, MOST of the merchandise sales of SC related items would occur over the course of the next season and not all within the 3 weeks between the hoisting of Lord Stanley's Chalice and the beginning of the new league fiscal year. It would work perfectly with that, as people would (most likely) buy merchandise that showed the SC being held aloft by a phantom ferret (I might even as well) and will then buy merchandise with a GOOD logo on it.

As for a plan being set up to make less money on purpose, have you never heard of a salesman who upon making his quota doesn't have a customer hold off on a purchase until the next period because he has nothing left to gain by making the sale in the current one? (Or at a minimum doesn't bust his butt trying to make that next sale because there is nothing in it for him today, plus his quota may go up for the next period). They aren't actually trying to make less money (overall) they are just trying to manage the cash flows to fall into a more advantageous pattern for themselves.

I realize it's far fetched, but isn't gaming the system the national pastime for most? Plus, after leaguewide revenues exceed $2.2B and prior to them reaching $2.7B, every extra $ another team earns costs the other teams money because the players' share of the total pie goes up. So while the big market teams want to see the small market team revenues go up (so they don't have to subsidize them as much and would thus be inclined to frown on such a scheme) they also don't necessarily want them to go up too quickly because they then have to give the players a bigger chunk of the pie and provide more subsidy to the small teams as the target payroll increases (and thus might think it's just crazy enough to work). It's a vicious circle. ;)

Besides, isn't it more fun to think of management as being evil geniuses rather than dolts that couldn't see the problems with this one coming from a mile away?

I'm gonna have to argue this part, the old jersey's were more of a Blue and Yellow then Blue and Gold. (But its kind of splitting hairs arguing this cause Gold is really just a darker, and shinier yellow when you think of it) I find the new "Gold" looks more orange then anything else

My point wasn't really about it being gold, yellow, or orange. (According to PA and others with access to the color chips, it is actually far closer to the old "Sabres' gold" than it is to the orange that shows up on my screen.) It was more that for the Sabres, the gold is essentially a dark yellow, so if the logo's main color is "Sabres' gold", the logo will appear yellow. I never even entertained the thought that the team would be considering going with a gold logo. To me, any b&g logo would primarily be blue with gold (and possibly silver) highlights, not the other way around. IMHO, something that is blue with gold trim is regal, something that is yellow with whatever color trim, especially when it's face is pointing downward is cowardly. (Although I don't tend to think the Swede's national sweaters look cowardly, and they are definitely yellow, so I guess that it is a situational opinion.) Sorry about not being clearer about that.

Just like, I don't think any of us expect to see the primary sweater color be gold. Everyone I know is expecting the b&g sweaters to be primarily blue. Yeah, a gold sweater w/ blue trim would meet the definition of b&g technically, but to me that would be g&b, which is not what I want to see.

Archived