What's In Your Gut About Jay McKee?

bob_sauve28

My gut says he is gone. Here's what I believe will be the Sabres thought process...

1.When the season starts McKee will have just turned 29 with a lot of wear and tear on his body due to his style of play.

2.In 02-03 and 03-04 he had injury plagued seasons.

3.Young players to sign and lock up before they hit UFA status. Breire, Lydman & Tallinder to name a few.

4.One dimensional player who doesn't have a lot of offensive game who could probably be replaced by a similiar player at a cheaper salary.

Keep in mind this is what I believe the Sabres thought process will be, not what I want to happen.

I agree with a lot of what LaBatt said. There's no way there forking over more than 3 million a year, and I'm sure there' s team out there that's willing to do that. I expect they will replace him with a UFA. A lot of solid d-man out there. Niclas Wallin, Filip Kuba, and Danny Markov to name a few, that would be cheaper, but still solid additions to the blueline.

20/20 is all fine and dandy.

The fact is nobody knew how the new game would look on McKee. Obviously he excelled, but did we honestly think he would in the new style?? I didn't.

If he loves Buffalo as much as he says he does, he'll take less to stay and finish the job. If money is more of a factor, he's gone.

It's all cyclical. Another one comes in and hopefully does as well if not better. Paetsch looked great in game 7. He's a keeper.

Love Jay, but I think he's gone.

I agree with a lot of what LaBatt said. There's no way there forking over more than 3 million a year, and I'm sure there' s team out there that's willing to do that. I expect they will replace him with a UFA. A lot of solid d-man out there. Niclas Wallin, Filip Kuba, and Danny Markov to name a few, that would be cheaper, but still solid additions to the blueline.

I agree. Love Jay, love the way he plays, but I wouldn't pay him over $2 million. I really hate the business part of sports. The kid in me just wishes we could be a big happy team and money was not all apart of it. Oh well

I'd pay 3.5-4.0 at the most. Even then, I think he'll get a 5mil offer from someone else.

There is no way that McKee gets close to that kind of scratch. You can't pay a defensive defenseman $5MM per. If you do, your 3rd line left winger will be expecting at least $3MM and you burn through $42MM very quickly.

I don't see the Sabres offering more than $8 million for 3 years. I think someone else will offer him $12-$13 million for 4 years and he will be gone. This btw will be the right decision for him -- I don't want to hear people criticizing him for only caring about the money, etc. This is the one shot he's going to have in his whole life to hit it big, and there is no way he should turn down $4 or $5 million (ie 50% or more above what the Sabres will offer) just to live near his wife's family. (If I had it, I might pay that much to get further away from my wife's family, but that's another story.)

Now, if my prediction is totally out to lunch (which is highly likely), and the choice is $8 million from the Sabres or $9 million from someone else, I think he will stay. But I think he's good enough and got enough publicity during the playoffs that someone (and it only takes one GM) will give him a big offer.

This the reason why Regier should be finalizing a contract with him RIGHT NOW. Why let hiom enter FA and see what he can get on the open market, give him a reasonable contract offer now and hope he signs it. If McCabe can get over 5 mil from the Leafs, they are probably willing to give up that much for the leagues top shot blocker (something that seems to be at the top of the list for being good in the new NHL) Buffalo can't let important parts of last years successful team walk and try to fill their spot with a rookie and not expect a drop off from last years play.

TG may want to keep a tight budget every year to make sure the team is in the black every year, but he may have to spend a little sometimes to keep the team successful and keep the fans coming back to fill the arena, otherwise it won't matter how much of a budget he gives Regier, the team will be in the red

This the reason why Regier should be finalizing a contract with him RIGHT NOW. Why let hiom enter FA and see what he can get on the open market, give him a reasonable contract offer now and hope he signs it. If McCabe can get over 5 mil from the Leafs, they are probably willing to give up that much for the leagues top shot blocker (something that seems to be at the top of the list for being good in the new NHL) Buffalo can't let important parts of last years successful team walk and try to fill their spot with a rookie and not expect a drop off from last years play.

TG may want to keep a tight budget every year to make sure the team is in the black every year, but he may have to spend a little sometimes to keep the team successful and keep the fans coming back to fill the arena, otherwise it won't matter how much of a budget he gives Regier, the team will be in the red

Looking at the article from the News today, it looks like we won't sign any of our UFA's before July 1. Oh well.

Looking at the article from the News today, it looks like we won't sign any of our UFA's before July 1. Oh well.

That sounds like a smart move :rolleyes:

"Lets wait to see what other teams are willing to pay for guys who had an impact on a SC contending team so that we can be absolutly sure we don't overpay them and we can keep them cheap"

Sounds like they are not planning on doing anything until they see how the draft plays out this weekend. There will be more wheeling and dealing as teams try to clean up their salary cap mess. Just read this on TSN http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=169195&hubname=nhl This puts Buffalo just above the minimum! I did the like in the Buffalo News article that Regier said 4-6 million in possible increases. He said Tom and Larry know... I'm sick of waiting.... Get it underway!!

This is one area where I will agree with Darcy's critics and say he dropped the ball. Jay wanted a long term deal last year.

Honestly though, last time McKee got an extension and a raise, he honored the confidence with his worst season to date, so even though I'm no big Darcy fan, I kinda understand where he was coming from.

Plus he's been injured a lot in his career, this was probably his healthiest season yet.

I don't see the Sabres offering more than $8 million for 3 years. I think someone else will offer him $12-$13 million for 4 years and he will be gone. This btw will be the right decision for him -- I don't want to hear people criticizing him for only caring about the money, etc. This is the one shot he's going to have in his whole life to hit it big, and there is no way he should turn down $4 or $5 million (ie 50% or more above what the Sabres will offer) just to live near his wife's family. (If I had it, I might pay that much to get further away from my wife's family, but that's another story.)

Now, if my prediction is totally out to lunch (which is highly likely), and the choice is $8 million from the Sabres or $9 million from someone else, I think he will stay. But I think he's good enough and got enough publicity during the playoffs that someone (and it only takes one GM) will give him a big offer.

Maybe it's just me, but making $8-9 mill over 3 years, or $10-12 mill. over 3 years, really shouldn't be a deal breaker in anyone's book, UNLESS.... You only care about the money.

Maybe it's just me, but making $8-9 mill over 3 years, or $10-12 mill. over 3 years, really shouldn't be a deal breaker in anyone's book, UNLESS.... You only care about the money.

Yes, of course, if it's $9 million vs $10 million then other factors can enter into a decision. But if it's $8 million vs $12 million then you have to take the money. And the length of the contract is a critical point. Remember that NHL contracts are guaranteed -- so if McKee gets a 4-year deal from someone else and only a 3-year deal from us, he's almost certainly going to take the 4-year deal, because the moment he signs he's guaranteed himself a LOT more cash.

Yes, of course, if it's $9 million vs $10 million then other factors can enter into a decision. But if it's $8 million vs $12 million then you have to take the money. And the length of the contract is a critical point. Remember that NHL contracts are guaranteed -- so if McKee gets a 4-year deal from someone else and only a 3-year deal from us, he's almost certainly going to take the 4-year deal, because the moment he signs he's guaranteed himself a LOT more cash.

I agree with those points, but the point I was trying to make was that with either 8 or 12 million, the man and his family, and most likely a generation to come, are SET.

Now, I don't know his spending habits nor do I care, I guess I just feel these guys are still making way too much money.

Who's to say his agent isn't advising him to NOT talk to the Sabres until you see what other teams think you're worth?

This is a business, and that sucks, but that's the way it is. If I were a player, that's what I'd do. Hopefully, he'll tell Buffalo what the other teams are offering and offer to cut that by a percentage to stay here, but that number may still be too high.

I love Jay McKee. He's a defenseman's defenseman, but he's as good as gone, and that just hurts.

I agree with those points, but the point I was trying to make was that with either 8 or 12 million, the man and his family, and most likely a generation to come, are SET.

Now, I don't know his spending habits nor do I care, I guess I just feel these guys are still making way too much money.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that pro atheletes are overpaid. But it is what it is. If my son were in Jay's position, and the offers were $8 million from Buffalo or $12 million from Nashville/Phoenix/Calgary/Anaheim/Tampa Bay/wherever -- I would tell him to take the $12 million in a heartbeat. McKee will be 32 or so when the contract is up. He might get hurt and not get another contract after this. Or he might slow way down and get the veteral minimum next time.

This is most likely his one shot in his life for a big score financially -- one that has to last him for the next 50 years or so of his life. After taxes, $12 million divided by 50 years is about $120K per year. Pretty good, but not crazy.

My point is simply that if the above happens and McKee leaves, he's not being greedy or selfish. He's just trying to obtain long-term financial security and he's taking what is probably the one chance in his life to get a rich reward for a lifetime of hard work. I also think 99% of us would do the same thing.

Archived