Paetsch & Janik played great - Jillson ok

Barnabov

I feel bad for Rory Fitzpatrick - he played to the best of his ability but goals 2 & 3 will be tough for him to watch.

Not a time to have 20/20 hindsight but keeping him for our 7th Defenseman sure bit us in the rear. I think the rookies played beyond all expectations - Jillson scares you but good a couple of times but maybe it's correctable.

Still, Regier et co had better not offer up any excuses come FA - send Janik, Paetsch & Jillson back to Rochester (and Rory too) and sign some proven NHLers for next years run to the Cup!

Anyone know who's coming available? I think we have like 15 million in salary cap to work with and with all the new season ticket sales, it's time to make an investment!

It isn't fair to Rory since he logged a hell of a lot more time than he would have ever have thought. That just makes more opportunities to make mistakes. He was #3 today, so I don't think he bit us in the ass at all.

Yeah Rory bagged it on the 3rd goal, but he did well for a guy considered the 7th or 8th D-man. The way some of you guys talk you would think we can grab Pronger to come in and be our 7th.

First off, who could have foresaw losing 4 of our top 5 d-men in the playoffs.

Second, guys are considered 7th or 8th defensmen for a reason. Rory did more than you can hope for someone in that position...same with the other AHL guys. Bringing in someone elses 5th or 6th wouldn't have gained us anything.

I like Rory but he shouldn't have been 7th on the depth chart.

Hard to say who you sign for such a role.

James Patrick was a perfect fit as the extra defenseman who you could rely on to come in and play a solid game whenever asked. Too bad it was decided to send him packing this year.

Anyway, resign Jay McKee and then you also have Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin and Campbell. Get the absolutely best available defenseman possible from Free Agency and then sign a proven veteran for the 7th slot rotate in. Numinnen might be a great 7th guy but he'd be a gamble to have around at playoff time.

As for Forwards, not many changes needed there - I'd be happy if we dealt Kotalik and/or Afinogenov to get that # 1 D man.

I hope Biron takes less salary and stays - don't think he's ready to be stand-alone # 1 but he's the best 1.5 in the league.

I like Rory but he shouldn't have been 7th on the depth chart.

Hard to say who you sign for such a role.

James Patrick was a perfect fit as the extra defenseman who you could rely on to come in and play a solid game whenever asked. Too bad it was decided to send him packing this year.

Anyway, resign Jay McKee and then you also have Tallinder, Lydman, Kalinin and Campbell. Get the absolutely best available defenseman possible from Free Agency and then sign a proven veteran for the 7th slot rotate in. Numinnen might be a great 7th guy but he'd be a gamble to have around at playoff time.

As for Forwards, not many changes needed there - I'd be happy if we dealt Kotalik and/or Afinogenov to get that # 1 D man.

I hope Biron takes less salary and stays - don't think he's ready to be stand-alone # 1 but he's the best 1.5 in the league.

No way Biron stays. I'd love to have him around too, but the guy deserves to be a #1. Patrick was just too old to play this year, and he has a bad back, so I don't think he'd be that reliable. They won't sign McKee AND the best defensemen in FA, they just won't have the money.

They're better off signing McKee, signing a low range veteren (like Teppo, if he doesn't come back) and developing Janik and Paetsch to be the 7th and 8th Dmen.

I don't think Rory will improve all that much, so the job has to go to the rookies.

A full year from Kalinen will be a huge help to the defense. He was solid in the playoffs until his injury.

I thought Janik played out of his mind for someone with so little NHL experience. Paetsch did not embarrass himself by any means. Jillson on the other hand has probably played his last game as a member of the Sabres organization and last night showed why. He had several giveaways and just didn't play well in his limited time on the ice.

I thought Janik played out of his mind for someone with so little NHL experience. Paetsch did not embarrass himself by any means. Jillson on the other hand has probably played his last game as a member of the Sabres organization and last night showed why. He had several giveaways and just didn't play well in his limited time on the ice.

When the injuries started hitting us, I wanted Paetsch and Jillson, and didn't think too much of Janik. Now that I've seen more, my opinions of Janik & Jillson have switched, and I am looking forward to when Paetsch is ready to stay on the big club - he was fearless jumping into the play, and I can't remember any plats where he hurt us or put the team in trouble.

I feel bad for Rory, being put in over his head as a #3 last night, but I get so frustrated watching him sometimes - he'll play three, four good, solid games, then have a meltdown where he tries to do too much or just makes a couple dumb plays that end up in our net. I can't blame him directly for the 2nd goal, but I think he is going to have a hard time watching the replays of the 2nd & 3rd goals...

When the injuries started hitting us, I wanted Paetsch and Jillson, and didn't think too much of Janik. Now that I've seen more, my opinions of Janik & Jillson have switched, and I am looking forward to when Paetsch is ready to stay on the big club - he was fearless jumping into the play, and I can't remember any plats where he hurt us or put the team in trouble.

I'm not sure it's fair since he has played so little, but Janik looks like he could be fill the role of 7th defenseman on the team.

I'm not sure it's fair since he has played so little, but Janik looks like he could be fill the role of 7th defenseman on the team.

I could be off base, but I thought the plan for Nathan and Doug was to be with the big club this coming year. I think they could be our 6th and 7th D-men next year.

I feel bad for Rory Fitzpatrick - he played to the best of his ability but goals 2 & 3 will be tough for him to watch.

Not a time to have 20/20 hindsight but keeping him for our 7th Defenseman sure bit us in the rear. I think the rookies played beyond all expectations - Jillson scares you but good a couple of times but maybe it's correctable.

Still, Regier et co had better not offer up any excuses come FA - send Janik, Paetsch & Jillson back to Rochester (and Rory too) and sign some proven NHLers for next years run to the Cup!

Anyone know who's coming available? I think we have like 15 million in salary cap to work with and with all the new season ticket sales, it's time to make an investment!

If the Sabres bring back Teppo & McKee, they may be okay with Janik & Paetsch as their #6 and #7, however, if neither of these guys are re-signed, it will be a must for Darcy to bring in veteran defensemen to replace them.

Paetsch was a pleasant surprise. Got to give the guy alot of credit for stepping in the way he did. Janik kept improving from his horrible first game.

You still have to resign Jay, and soon.

Hopefully this infection and missing game 7 gives McKee a feeling of unfinished business, so he looks to sign with the Sabres first.

Yo Niles, get it done, and get it done now.

I'd be very comfortable with Paetsch as the #6 next year.

I thought Paetsch played a great game, considering the circumstances. He looked pretty comfortable out there.

If the Sabres bring back Teppo & McKee, they may be okay with Janik & Paetsch as their #6 and #7, however, if neither of these guys are re-signed, it will be a must for Darcy to bring in veteran defensemen to replace them.

Well, even if the Sabres lose those 2, they now have 4 other veterans on D (Soupy and Henrik both moved up the experience chart with this year's effort). I do agree with you, though, that the team will need at least 1 "grizzled" veteran.

I remain hopeful that Jay will be signed. If he is, I would not be surprised to see Teppo gone next year as $2MM is a lot of money for an older player who MAY be becoming injury-prone. (He missed 20 games in Dallas and several more this season.)

If all 6 D are re-signed, I would expect Paetsch and Janik to put on a battle royale for the 7th D spot. If only 5 are back then it's a great battle for #6.

It'll be interesting to see whether the Sabres go with 1 or 2 "grizzled" vets next year.

Archived