What is our window of opportunity?

SDS

let's face it, teams around the league are going to reassess how to build their teams and Buffalo will no longer be unique. While the salary cap will help, it will be much tougher to pick up certain playersnow that all the teams know what type of player will be successfull...

I fear this was our chance and now it will be gone for a long time...

let's face it, teams around the league are going to reassess how to build their teams and Buffalo will no longer be unique. While the salary cap will help, it will be much tougher to pick up certain playersnow that all the teams know what type of player will be successfull...

Great. Pour some more salt in our fresh wounds dude.

I'm not sure about that. I like the thought that these guys are the hockey version of the Patsies...

Our front office has some serious work to do - we have only 3 players signed for next year. Granted many are RFA, but i see some battles over cash occuring, and mckee getting offered some serious cash after showing he can play well in the new nhl.

Based on tonight's performance by the kids on D, I'm not sure McKee doesn't walk.

Don't know if that's true. Tampa and Toronto are dropping huge money on big name players, and Chara is going to break the bank, so some teams are still in the dark.

We've also seen that some guys like Tallinder, Connolly, and Lydman are better than we thought. The Rookie crop this year was exceptional, with Miller, Pominville, Vanek, and Roy poised to get better. Janik also looks extremely promising.

And Drury, Briere and McKee bring an unbelievable amount of leadership to the team.

It's not as easy as putting some inexpensive fast guys on the ice. The Sabres showed that they have some strong talent and leadership to go along with their speed and quickness. Throw Ruff into the mix and the Sabres future looks bright.

I've worried about this issue since January. I really thought this was The Season, and I have to admit, I'm crushed. I just feel so bad for these guys, having been stricken so badly by injuries. I love this group of guys and I'd like to see them get locked up long-term. They have unrivaled chemistry and will to win, but lets face it, this game was a battle of of attrition, and we didn't have the right guns. The Amerks played just fine; even excellent in spots. It wasn't their play that sank us, it's just that their games aren't as well known and there's nothing you can do to replace familiarity. Opportunities are won and lost by inches and subtle angles and wordless messages between players.

I'll really miss these guys.

sniff

Lets not forget Thomas Vanek...this is a potential 50 goal scorer in the league...25 as a 22 year old rookie is pretty good...

Hopefully he will realize that hard work is not optional on this team and that he needs to bring it every night, not only the games he feels like

Sure, other teams can try and copy our style, try to sign players with our skill sets. But good luck slapping together a team with our heart and chemistry and courage and character. Good luck, NHL!

I agree. I don't think another team can patch together a roster like this in one offseason. We've had a lot of these guys in the system for years.

Miller, Briere, Hecht, Kalinin all played in the dreadful 2002-2003 season. Back then Lindy played with what he had and with the way the league set up the game at the time... so Peters would go out and pick fights. Our current stars were struggling to get going then.

Kotalik came out the next season and we started to see some beautiful things. They had the lockout to play in Rochester and in international leagues. Lindy spent all that time in Rochester.

Unless other teams have been paying this much attention to their AHL clubs and draft picks, I don't see many teams successfully duplicating this team next year.

Well at least Toronto still doesn't get it with signing an overrated defensemen today to a mega-deal. I'm pretty sure Philadelphia won't get it either.

I think we have next year and maybe one more after to Win that cup...

Not true - Look at Tampa and Toronto handing out huge contracts to single players.

Plus, a lot of of these old slow morons like Hatcher are on multi-year deals, so no getting rid of them.

It'll take a while for these teams to wait for all these huge contracts to expire, and since buyouts count against the cap, they're screwed.

Buffalo on the other hand, only need to resign their core guys, and go from there. Let's face it, if Kotalik ends up asking for 3-4 mill. you kick him out of town, but guys like Connolly, Briere, Drury, Miller and McKee NEED to be locked up.

Other than that, we're talking fringe players. And dealing Max for a nice two top-4 dman would be a smart move, we saw what he could do in the playoffs this year, which was nothing at all.

If we can keep the team together with one or two additions, they have to be a favorite next year.

Sure, other teams can try and copy our style, try to sign players with our skill sets. But good luck slapping together a team with our heart and chemistry and courage and character. Good luck, NHL!

One needs look no further than to the Patsies as an example - many NFL teams try to copy them each year but can't replicate the chemistry, the trust in the players and experience the coaching staff has, etc.

Buffalo has a lot of young, talented, versatile players who are on the rise, rather than a lot of older, experienced players hanging on for one last shot at the Cup. I like that our young team fought through some pains and struggles this year, and matured as players in both the regular season and in the playoffs, and those experiences will only help them next year.

I think there are some question marks for next year, and there is always fantasy team/"wish list" moves we can debate for the next three months, but overall I am optimistic for the future.

Last night's loss still hurts like hell, though, and I imagine it will for quite a while...

Not overpaying and keeping the right players will be the key. Reports are that the Rangers are ready to offer Chara $8M a year! And the NHL reportedly made $300M more than estimated this past year, so the salary cap should rise by ~$4M next year, to ~$43M.

gloom and doom the rest of NHL will figure us out and we will be back to being a hardly make the playoffs team. We are just a young bunch f guys who got lucky.

Archived