When you just know it's a Lance Lysowski article

• PASabreFan changed the title to When you just know it's a Lance Lysowski article
13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Headline:

Charting a course for another eventful offseason

(I realize the writers don't write the headlines, as far as I know.)

I betcha most of them do; the Buffalo News is held together by duct tape and IOUs right now.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

What am I missing, here?

Lance could write for sabres.com. Another eventful offseason?

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Nothing.  To PA, life is a series of running gags that only he understands.

Why make it about me? Do you want to comment about Lance's coverage of the team?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why make it about me?

Because you draw conclusions from things no one else draws.

Maybe you're just more clever than the rest of us.  I don't know.

Edited by Doohickie

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Because you draw conclusions from things no one else draws.

Maybe you're just more clever than the rest of us.  I don't know.

I mean, yeah. Not hard in this crowd.

If Lance thinks last offseason was eventful, is that notable?

Ah, forget it. This is beyond you. Just tell us stories about living in Detroit in the 90s.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Why make it about me? Do you want to comment about Lance's coverage of the team?

Is there a link I don’t see to said article?

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I am with you.  Lance is a buttercup.  I get almost nothing from his writings because he is just a cheerleader. 

Jim Kelley of the Buffalo News (aka Buffalo Evening News) is the level I want.   I know that is asking a lot, and why would a Sabres fan do that?   

I could be on a business trip in LA, Chicago, Boston, or St Louis and read what Kelley wrote because their local hockey writers referenced him for insider information.   Jim Kelly was the one of the most respected Hockey Writer's of his time. A three time president of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, highly decorated as a Hockey Journalist, and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.  This is the level we once had, and what we should be expecting.  

We Buffalo Hockey fans, including our fans in Southern Ontario and all over, are getting the shaft.  Not only for the lousy team play for the past 15 years, but the team coverage, the home game experience, and the acceptance of mediocrity that has become this once proud franchise.   

With RJ gone there is nothing left that connects us to the better days.   Now it is all on Ruff to turn this thing around.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Lance seems like a nice fella.

He is mostly useless as a Sabres beat reporter.

As PA notes, he is on par with the position that Chris Brown used to have with the Bills -- one now occupied by Maddy Glabb (sp?). 

Also, I don't think that Lysowski writes his story's headlines. But, with today's shoe string budgets, who knows.

• Like (+1) 1

The headlines aren't even always written by humans.  And sometimes the AI changes the headline multiple times throughout the day in an effort to capture the maximum amount of eyeballs.  The algorithm pushes the language towards the provactive - the goal is to generate traffic and discussion.  Looks like it's working.

Edited by Cascade Youth
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

The headlines aren't even always written by humans.  And sometimes the AI changes the headline multiple times throughout the day in an effort to capture the maximum amount of eyeballs.  The algorithm pushes the language towards the provactive - the goal is to generate traffic and discussion.  Looks like it's working.

AI is better than I thought. It knows last season wasn't eventful (it would see that events happened tho), so it ironically put the word eventful in the headline to trigger me, the leading Sabres influencer on the Internet. Damn.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 5/28/2024 at 10:16 AM, Pimlach said:

I am with you.  Lance is a buttercup.  I get almost nothing from his writings because he is just a cheerleader. 

Jim Kelley of the Buffalo News (aka Buffalo Evening News) is the level I want.   I know that is asking a lot, and why would a Sabres fan do that?   

I could be on a business trip in LA, Chicago, Boston, or St Louis and read what Kelley wrote because their local hockey writers referenced him for insider information.   Jim Kelly was the one of the most respected Hockey Writer's of his time. A three time president of the Professional Hockey Writers Association, highly decorated as a Hockey Journalist, and a member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.  This is the level we once had, and what we should be expecting.  

We Buffalo Hockey fans, including our fans in Southern Ontario and all over, are getting the shaft.  Not only for the lousy team play for the past 15 years, but the team coverage, the home game experience, and the acceptance of mediocrity that has become this once proud franchise.   

With RJ gone there is nothing left that connects us to the better days.   Now it is all on Ruff to turn this thing around.  

Jim Kelley was famous for making up trade rumors. He would call another writer in another town and they would be each others "sources." Players and execs hated him for that. Those rumors were hurtful to players and their families. No internet meant no one could call BS on him. Kelley would be a jerry Sullivan level hack today as he would have no information that we would not already have on internet or through Elliotte Friedmans of the world.

22 minutes ago, xzy89c1 said:

Jim Kelley was famous for making up trade rumors. He would call another writer in another town and they would be each others "sources." Players and execs hated him for that. Those rumors were hurtful to players and their families. No internet meant no one could call BS on him. Kelley would be a jerry Sullivan level hack today as he would have no information that we would not already have on internet or through Elliotte Friedmans of the world.

This is a take I would expect from you.  Should he removed from the Hockey HoF and the Buffalo Sports HoF based on your insider information? 

Evil Plan Plotting GIF by Red Fang

If only we had the internet to police Jim Kelley.

Troll on.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

This is a take I would expect from you.  Should he removed from the Hockey HoF and the Buffalo Sports HoF based on your insider information? 

Evil Plan Plotting GIF by Red Fang

If only we had the internet to police Jim Kelley.

Troll on.   

that is what the writers did back then. That is why their Inside Hockey columns were so similar. We just did not know better due to lack of info. No way to read all the papers. He was elected by his friends to HOF so that is not a great thing to point out. No criteria other than longevity. Buffalo Sports HOF. LOL who cares.

2 hours ago, xzy89c1 said:

that is what the writers did back then. That is why their Inside Hockey columns were so similar. We just did not know better due to lack of info. No way to read all the papers. He was elected by his friends to HOF so that is not a great thing to point out. No criteria other than longevity. Buffalo Sports HOF. LOL who cares.

Oh, so now you want us to believe that all sports writers lied and made stories up with impunity, but it is better now because of the internet and social media?  And Kelley made the HoF solely on popularity and longevity (even though he died at 61).  

Discover No Way GIF by ADWEEK

On 5/28/2024 at 8:09 PM, ShadowOnTheDoor said:

I think he gets a stipend every time he mentions Scott Laughton

Cha CHING! Lance chalks up enough scratch for another Iced Blonde Vanilla Latte!

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/henri-jokiharju-contract-negotiation-buffalo-sabres-defensemen-nhl/article_b8b4df50-2330-11ef-b68f-bb1efdba8381.html#tracking-source=home-top-story