Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I absolutely did. Total wins is NEVER an appropriate or valuable statistic to use. I already mentioned why. It's what we call a "vanity metric". Winning percentage is infinitely more valuable and applying winning percentage over X games gives you an apples to apples comparison against peer groups.

But you don't get the OPPORTUNITY to do a thing for that long unless you do it fairly well. That is just obvious. 

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I absolutely did. Total wins is NEVER an appropriate or valuable statistic to use. I already mentioned why. It's what we call a "vanity metric". Winning percentage is infinitely more valuable and applying winning percentage over X games gives you an apples to apples comparison against peer groups.

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. Even without knowing their winning percentages, if you tell me the coach or player who has the most wins all time in their sport, I think that is an excellent indicator of above average success. I think it’s a function of longevity, which in sports tends to be a function of success.

• Like (+1) 1

Truthfully, if Lindy is a bridge to the next guy that gives you a Cup run, I'm pretty ok with it.

My immediate issue is I do not see Lindy as a coach that can get this organization a Stanley Cup, but maybe I'm aiming too high. I still believe we have a good enough young core that that should be the expectation in the near future. But, after 13 years in the muck, if Lindy can get this team to 105 points and playing into late April/May...I should be fine with that. If he stalls out in the first/second round, you're in a much better position to attract a Stanley Cup calibre coach to get to the promised land 

I just see THIS as a high floor/low ceiling hire. But it should lead to an improved product on the ice, which is a start.

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

People told me he was washed last year and would be a horrible signing. Sometimes I get the feeling people on message boards don’t know everything.😜

Did the Wings make the playoffs with Kane? Is he going to be on their team next year?

2 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Truthfully, if Lindy is a bridge to the next guy that gives you a Cup run, I'm pretty ok with it.

My immediate issue is I do not see Lindy as a coach that can get this organization a Stanley Cup, but maybe I'm aiming too high. I still believe we have a good enough young core that that should be the expectation in the near future. But, after 13 years in the muck, if Lindy can get this team to 105 points and playing into late April/May...I should be fine with that. If he stalls out in the first/second round, you're in a much better position to attract a Stanley Cup calibre coach to get to the promised land 

I just see THIS as a high floor/low ceiling hire. But it should lead to an improved product on the ice, which is a start.

He’s a bridge. We can’t talk Cup until we turn this culture around. 

Let’s get out of this rut and get above water and the good options will start to open up. Lindy will get us to that point. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Spin it? You're the only one here doing that. Hell, the poll doesn't even measure what you're claiming and a whopping 72% voted for someone else. That's not spin kid, those are called facts. 

So according to you the most popular choice for Sabres head coach is "anybody but Lindy." 😂

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So according to you the most popular choice for Sabres head coach is "anybody but Lindy." 😂

Dude, stop. You're straight up wrong. The poll was "who do you think will be head coach" for 1. For 2, 72% of respondents went with someone else. Walk away, you failed at math. 

This is a "fine" hire. I am not super excited and not unhappy with it. I think we definitely could have done worse. Outside of actual coaching I like this because I hope it sets the tone for a POH and push Pegula a little further away from hockey meetings. Either everything works great, Adams completes this roster, we are competitors, and Lindy eventually retires in some senior advisor role. OR the roster crashes and burns, Adams is fired and Lindy is moved to President of Hockey Ops and hires a real life NHL GM and runs the org. 

Both of scenarios are upgrades to the current. 

I will say it for the 100th time, but any hire for HC has to meet the center of a venn diagram between 1. Best candidate 2. Willing to take the job 3. Terry is willing to offer the job. And under that criteria I think Lindy is likely in the top tier of candidates available. 

What I am upset about is that there seemed to be no legitimate coaching search. Granato was fired 6 days ago. It feels like Adams didn't even effing try and put together a stack of candidates. Either that or nobody wants to work here. Probably a little bit of both. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, eman said:

Maybe both told Kevyn "Thanks, but no thanks"? I am also open minded to Lindy. Emotion we will get and I don't think that's a bad thing. I agree, the rest of the staff is a huge key!! Let's see what New Jersey does next season under Green before you write him off. Hopefully Lindy does much better than Travis but I believe a full season under Green and Jake Allen in goal will get the Devils on the right path once again.

The Canucks weren't very good under Green. Look at 'em now...

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

The question was who will be the next coach. I voted Ruff. I did not want Ruff. This was a predictable, PR move that may or may not work but either way staves off season ticket holder exodus another year. 

I should have posted two poll questions; who do want to be the next coach and who you think will be the next coach.  I wanted someone other than Ruff, but thought the day DG was fired that Ruff would be the next coach.  I’m actually surprised on 28% of Sabrespace thought Ruff was going to be the man.  I thought it was an obvious TP hire.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, StuckinFL said:

Peters is gonna absolutely lose his mind. I can't wait to hear him and Rivet argue about this.

He said the other day he'd be fine with Lindy.

FWIW, Rivet must have read Sabrespace over the weekend because today he floated my idea to trade Power.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If any Amerks "earn spots" this offseason,  Kevyn Adams failed miserably.

Serious question - have you ever, I mean ever said anything remotely positive on this forum? Even once? It's tedious having to scroll through your always predictable, always negative posts.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, eman said:

To whom? If this truly was the case, Berube and Gallant's agents would have contacted the club regarding the coaching vacancy. Apparently that hasn't happened. I can't see Lindy getting the job over either of those 2 if they made themselves available to the Sabres organization. I'm good with the Lindy hiring but I do feel we, as Sabres fans, over value the players in the organization. Let's see what Lindy can do with them or we see who stays and who gets shipped out for next season. I'm not completely 100% sold on the players in the organization. Some will bloom, others will fail.

Apparently your guessing. It's been raised and I think likely that Ruff was the guy even before Adams presser.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, ... said:

He said the other day he'd be fine with Lindy.

FWIW, Rivet must have read Sabrespace over the weekend because today he floated my idea to trade Power.

Peters wants Lindy back. Rivet doesn't and has expressed his dislike for Ruff many, many times.

13 minutes ago, Richard Noggin said:

But you don't get the OPPORTUNITY to do a thing for that long unless you do it fairly well. That is just obvious. 

How is that obvious? You've never worked with people terrible at their jobs with 30-50 years of experience? You must be truly blessed. Sports especialy are riddled with retreads that get job after job despite disappointing results. Jeff fisher coached for 22 years and made the playoffs 6 times. Lindy made 11 playoffs in 23 seasons.

Barry Trotz made 14 playoffs in 23 years and won a cup
Quenneville made 20 out of 25
Hitchcock is 14 out of 22
Tortorella is 12 out of 22

The list goes on. Lindy has the 2nd lowest winning percentage behind Paul Maurice of coaches in the top 10 games coached (Lindy is 4th in total games).

I just don't see how you can get amped about a guy who has only had 2 seasons with a winning record out of the last 8 years. once he was fired from the Stars they've become a perennial playoff team and are a cup favorite this year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Serious question - have you ever, I mean ever said anything remotely positive on this forum? Even once? It's tedious having to scroll through your always predictable, always negative posts.

His posts may look like a dot if your perspective is from the edges. In reality his newest content is merely the latest in a long line of varying opinion 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1