NHL Playoffs (First Round) discussion

SwampD

37 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The thing for me is it was 2 years in a row. They got their cup and then the audacity to do it again and so blatantly just made me hate them a lot. I'm over the Eichel hate. If he hadn't won a cup I'd want him never to win one but he already did so like ROR it's over. For me anyway. 

Not quite over my hatred on Eichel for being a traitor but is no longer quite as a burning sensation. As Perrault said though, it’s the 3 straight years of him getting hurt within a week of each other just prior to the deadline only to return for Game 1. The first time they missed the playoffs entirely but seemed to find a trick to it because they’ve repeated twice since.

40 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He wasn’t very good in the series and was clearly not 100%. Keep being big mad 

If he’s still in rough shape, don’t play him. If he’s healthy enough to play game 1 and score the opening goal then I think it’s pretty safe to assume he could play Game 82 only 3 days or so prior. I don’t get the whole big mad comment; this is a Sabres forum not somewhere I should feel the need to respect a team that doesn’t just exploit loopholes but likely does unspeakable acts to loopholes. It wouldn’t matter if Eichel weren’t on the Golden Knights; I’d still loathe their abuse of the rules as well as their destruction of traditional team building principles 

• Like (+1) 1

I find it strange that Canucks and Oilers, who both ended their series before the weekend don't start until Wednesday but Bruins have to play in Florida on Monday. I don't think it really matters as Florida will win that regardless but it seems a little unfair. 

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I find it strange that Canucks and Oilers, who both ended their series before the weekend don't start until Wednesday but Bruins have to play in Florida on Monday. I don't think it really matters as Florida will win that regardless but it seems a little unfair. 

It has to do with tv scheduling and arena availability. The league wants at least one game on every night, but no more than one east and one west.

7 hours ago, sabremike said:

I mean it's not like Dallas cheated to win their cup on an illegal goal or anything...

The problem there was the officiating, not a player reacting in the heat of the action.

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Not quite over my hatred on Eichel for being a traitor but is no longer quite as a burning sensation. As Perrault said though, it’s the 3 straight years of him getting hurt within a week of each other just prior to the deadline only to return for Game 1. The first time they missed the playoffs entirely but seemed to find a trick to it because they’ve repeated twice since.

If he’s still in rough shape, don’t play him. If he’s healthy enough to play game 1 and score the opening goal then I think it’s pretty safe to assume he could play Game 82 only 3 days or so prior. I don’t get the whole big mad comment; this is a Sabres forum not somewhere I should feel the need to respect a team that doesn’t just exploit loopholes but likely does unspeakable acts to loopholes. It wouldn’t matter if Eichel weren’t on the Golden Knights; I’d still loathe their abuse of the rules as well as their destruction of traditional team building principles 

What are you even talking about? It’s not a surprise, at all, that a non-healthy Stone would decline game 82 of the regular season and suck it up for a playoff game. Use your noggin 

Occam’s razor just once 

Teams have been doing the LTIR then back for playoffs thing for ages. Tampa did it. Your issue is with the league, not the teams 

Vegas just burns more (by the way, you should get that checked out) because of how much Eichel lives in your head rent free. You can admit that, right?

They aren’t sitting a healthy stone out to expose and take advantage of a loophole: that’s a conspiracy theory. They are utilizing an arguably unfair rule because they have a legitimate injury 

Edited by Thorny

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Understand your concern but in addition to TV considerations there is also arena availability. Dallas and Boston each have basketball and hockey in addition to everyone having concerts and other events that were scheduled long before the playoffs.

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

What are you even talking about? It’s not a surprise, at all, that a non-healthy Stone would decline game 82 of the regular season and suck it up for a playoff game. Use your noggin 

Occam’s razor just once 

Teams have been doing the LTIR then back for playoffs thing for ages. Tampa did it. Your issue is with the league, not the teams 

Vegas just burns more (by the way, you should get that checked out) because of how much Eichel lives in your head rent free. You can admit that, right?

They aren’t sitting a healthy stone out to expose and take advantage of a loophole: that’s a conspiracy theory. They are utilizing an arguably unfair rule because they have a legitimate injury 

Am I not surprised he chose to play Playoffs Game 1 over Game 82, not in the slightest. I have issues with reports of his return not appearing until after Game 82. It feels contrived to think it just kind of magically happened that after the season ended he was suddenly healthy enough to play after radio silence for nearly 2 months.

Occam's razor would say something smells funny about a player who seems to leave for indefinite periods prior to the deadline only to comeback each time at Game 1's timing. It just feels fishy for it to happen three consecutive years prior to the deadline. Especially this year since he had no other injuries the entire season. I'm not saying he didn't get hurt; I'm saying that the timings of his returns are overly suspicious.

21-22

Feb. 9, 2022 - Mark Stone has an injury to his back. The expected duration is unknown.

March 21st - Deadline Day

Apr. 11, 2022 - Mark Stone's undisclosed injury status has been updated. The expected duration is game-time decision.

Apr. 12, 2022 - Mark Stone is cleared to play.

Missed Playoffs

22-23

Feb. 1, 2023 - Mark Stone's back injury status has been updated. The expected duration is indefinite.

March 3rd - Deadline Day

Apr. 15, 2023 - Mark Stone's back injury status has been updated. The expected duration is day to day.

Apr. 17, 2023 - Mark Stone is cleared to play.

Won Stanley Cup

23-24

Feb. 21, 2024 - Mark Stone has an injury to his upper body. The expected duration is week to week. (Interesting since the NHL stated indefinite)

March 8th - Deadline Day

Apr. 22, 2024 - Mark Stone is cleared to play.

Lost in 1st Round

LTIR was done differently by Chicago

Chicago lost Kane for 21 games in 14-15 and used the LTIR saving of 6.3mil to acquire Kimmo Timonen (2mil) and Antoine Vermette (3.75mil)

Tampa's LTIR abuse was effectively 1 year 20-21

Vegas has done it 3 years straight and seem poised to do so for the foreseeable future

But yes, I am angry with the league as a whole.

I have to admit, I get a kick out of your dogged disdain for my dislike of Vegas and/or Eichel. This isn't the Vegas boards; I have zero requirements to like Vegas in any manner. Until we make the playoffs Eichel will annoy me in some manner solely because he asked to leave. I couldn't care less if his reasoning may have been legitimate; I'm a fan of the Sabres and he asked to leave my favorite team.

No, I'd almost guarantee that Stone sat out longer than he technically had to; otherwise he has the most unusual body as he can heal exactly at the right time to play in the playoffs. If there wasn't a cap compliance issue, I'd imagine he'd of been back sooner. Effectively I can't see the doctor's signing off on his play exactly after Game 82; odds would dictate otherwise. They very likely delayed getting the clearance at very least.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

“Destruction of traditional team building principles.”

lol ok Kevyn

Kevyn is overly dogmatic on this; I'm just meaning in general. The vast majority of teams are built primarily through the draft with a combo of trades and signings to bolster the ranks. While not steadfast in all their loyalties; most teams will hang onto fan favorite long time players beyond their expiration date for better or worse. Vegas gives no credence to friendships or loyalty and is thoroughly ruthless with roster moves. While impressive, it aligns too much with eventually causing mercenary teams with no steady roster being a norm.  

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Am I not surprised he chose to play Playoffs Game 1 over Game 82, not in the slightest. I have issues with reports of his return not appearing until after Game 82. It feels contrived to think it just kind of magically happened that after the season ended he was suddenly healthy enough to play after radio silence for nearly 2 months.

Occam's razor would say something smells funny about a player who seems to leave for indefinite periods prior to the deadline only to comeback each time at Game 1's timing. It just feels fishy for it to happen three consecutive years prior to the deadline. Especially this year since he had no other injuries the entire season. I'm not saying he didn't get hurt; I'm saying that the timings of his returns are overly suspicious.

21-22

Feb. 9, 2022 - Mark Stone has an injury to his back. The expected duration is unknown.

Apr. 11, 2022 - Mark Stone's undisclosed injury status has been updated. The expected duration is game-time decision.

Missed Playoffs

22-23

Feb. 1, 2023 - Mark Stone's back injury status has been updated. The expected duration is indefinite.

March 3rd - Deadline Day

Apr. 15, 2023 - Mark Stone's back injury status has been updated. The expected duration is day to day.

Won Stanley Cup

23-24

Feb. 21, 2024 - Mark Stone has an injury to his upper body. The expected duration is week to week. (Interesting since the NHL stated indefinite)

March 8th - Deadline Day

Lost in 1st Round

Chicago lost Kane for 21 games in 14-15 and used the LTIR saving of 6.3mil to acquire Kimmo Timonen (2mil) and Antoine Vermette (3.75mil)

Vegas has done it 3 years straight and seem poised to do so for the foreseeable future

I have to admit, I get a kick out of your dogged disdain for my dislike of Vegas and/or Eichel. This isn't the Vegas boards; I have zero requirements to like Vegas in any manner. Until we make the playoffs Eichel will annoy me in some manner solely because he asked to leave. I couldn't care less if his reasoning may have been legitimate; I'm a fan of the Sabres and he asked to leave my favorite team.

The only thing about this that makes me mad is that if it were a Sabre, there is no way KA would have spent the money and filled the spot with an actual player. He's too busy spending money on ghosts to get to the cap floor. Now, if the league wants to crack down on that, I'm all for it!

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

21-22

Missed Playoffs

22-23

March 3rd - Deadline Day

Won Stanley Cup

23-24

March 8th - Deadline Day

Lost in 1st Round

No, I'd almost guarantee that Stone sat out longer than he technically had to; otherwise he has the most unusual body as he can heal exactly at the right time to play in the playoffs. If there wasn't a cap compliance issue, I'd imagine he'd of been back sooner. Effectively I can't see the doctor's signing off on his play exactly after Game 82; odds would dictate otherwise. They very likely delayed getting the clearance at very least.

Kevyn is overly dogmatic on this; I'm just meaning in general. The vast majority of teams are built primarily through the draft with a combo of trades and signings to bolster the ranks. While not steadfast in all their loyalties; most teams will hang onto fan favorite long time players beyond their expiration date for better or worse. Vegas gives no credence to friendships or loyalty and is thoroughly ruthless with roster moves. While impressive, it aligns too much with eventually causing mercenary teams with no steady roster being a norm.  

I’m not really sure what to say: everything my understanding of hockey over the course of my life has told me is that these guys toughing it out through a laundry list of injuries during the playoffs isn’t just normal it’s so expected guys like Matthews get lambasted when they sit out. There’s nothing magical about Mark Stone “miraculously” being ready: he was ready only because pain tolerance goes up by choice in the playoffs. 

He contributed because he’s mark freaking stone but if you watched the games he was NOT good. Slow. Laboured. He gave an interview today where he said they lost because they needed a better regular season/first round matchup was tough. They aren’t trying to avoid playing their guys in the regular season they are simply using a questionable rule to their advantage 

Edited by Thorny

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

21-22

Missed Playoffs

22-23

March 3rd - Deadline Day

Won Stanley Cup

23-24

March 8th - Deadline Day

Lost in 1st Round

And I’m sorry, if you want my heart of hearts truth: I don’t have disdain for your position I find it humorous.

Jack won. it’s over. You lost. There’s no taking that Cup away and he led the playoffs in scoring to do it 

The more you post about your hatred for him the better - I fought that war for so long and the vindication is ever so sweet 

Edited by Thorny
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

The only thing about this that makes me mad is that if it were a Sabre, there is no way KA would have spent the money and filled the spot with an actual player. He's too busy spending money on ghosts to get to the cap floor. Now, if the league wants to crack down on that, I'm all for it!

The league wouldn’t allow Buffalo to do it. I enter Tim Connolly as evidence.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

And I’m sorry, if you want my heart of hearts truth: I don’t have disdain for your position I find it humorous.

Jack won. it’s over. You lost. There’s no taking that Cup away and he led the playoffs in scoring to do it 

The more you post about your hatred for him the better - I fought that war for so long and the vindication is ever so sweet 

You've got some messed up priorities then my friend. Cheering for a player who asked to leave the team you are supposedly a fan of to succeed in order to spite fans of the team you supposedly are a fan of is screwed up in so many ways.

Edited by thewookie1

40 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

You've got some messed up priorities then my friend. Cheering for a player who asked to leave the team you are supposedly a fan of to succeed in order to spite fans of the team you supposedly are a fan of is screwed up in so many ways.

This is such an inane post.

“Supposedly” a fan of. Could have just stopped there, tbh. Ok, I’m not a fan. Join the dudacek club of fans rankings 

“In order to spite the fans”. That’s not what it’s about, at all. It’s like you haven’t followed my position on it since the beginning. Jack was my favourite player. Yes there’s a level of vindication relative to my feelings on how bad the organization wasted the asset, but joy I get from his success relative to the disappointment in sabres fans it causes *only* applies to yokels like you who’ve been quoting me endlessly since the deal with endless conflations of what I’m actually saying. People like you and a select few others who were wishing injury and/or poor fortune on him. (I cannot remember if you personally went as far as those hoping he’d not be long for the league). Those tar and feathering his character on his way out. I always had an issue with that and always framed my position in this way.

In general pointing out that Adams lost the trade is rooted in the idea the fans deserve better, to not have that asset wasted in the name of a perpetual rebuild: it’s the opposite of delighting in misery.

I like when Jack succeeds because *I like Jack.*. Which is something you’ve never been able to wrap your head around/take at face value 

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

“Supposedly” a fan of. Could have just stopped there, tbh. Ok, I’m not a fan. Join the dudacek club of fans rankings 

“In order to spite the fans”. That’s not what it’s about, at all. It’s like you haven’t followed my position on it since the beginning. Jack was my favourite player. Yes there’s a level of vindication relative to my feelings on how bad the organization wasted the asset, but joy I get from his success relative to the disappointment in sabres fans it cause only applies to yokels like you who’ve been quoting me endlessly since the deal with endless conflations of what I’m actually saying. People like you and a select few others who were wishing injury and poor fortune on him. Those tar and feathering his character on his way out. I always had an issue with that and always framed my position in this way. 

Seeing as your the one who endlessly has a fit when I have anything to say negatively about Eichel or Vegas; I'm not entirely sure how I'm to blame.

Eichel was my favorite player when he was here, I went to bat for him with my family over him and was disappointed in the team results we achieved. But when he asked for a trade he became a traitor to me and thus family members felt vindicated by their misgivings being correct in some regards. 

I am first and foremost a fan of the Buffalo Sabres; which means depending on how you went about your departure matters greatly to my continued interest. Reinhart got strung along yet still didn't take it out against the team or city. Thus far Mitts has done much of the same. As such my only hang up is wanting them not to score against us in matchups. Eichel on the other hand demanded his way out, and then later went after the fans which is an immediate trigger-point. Had he been merely traded away without requesting it; he'd still be one of my favorites. It all comes down to the how. 

17 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Seeing as your the one who endlessly has a fit when I have anything to say negatively about Eichel or Vegas; I'm not entirely sure how I'm to blame.

Eichel was my favorite player when he was here, I went to bat for him with my family over him and was disappointed in the team results we achieved. But when he asked for a trade he became a traitor to me and thus family members felt vindicated by their misgivings being correct in some regards. 

I am first and foremost a fan of the Buffalo Sabres; which means depending on how you went about your departure matters greatly to my continued interest. Reinhart got strung along yet still didn't take it out against the team or city. Thus far Mitts has done much of the same. As such my only hang up is wanting them not to score against us in matchups. Eichel on the other hand demanded his way out, and then later went after the fans which is an immediate trigger-point. Had he been merely traded away without requesting it; he'd still be one of my favorites. It all comes down to the how. 

Sounds like an issue for The Family. I’ll try and stay out of it 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Understand your concern but in addition to TV considerations there is also arena availability. Dallas and Boston each have basketball and hockey in addition to everyone having concerts and other events that were scheduled long before the playoffs.

There was nothing going on in Vancouver from what I saw so imo that series should have started first but it didn't matter. Probably helped the Bruins who were more intense while Florida was a tad rusty and not ready for the pace. 

On 5/6/2024 at 11:18 AM, Thorny said:

“In order to spite the fans”. That’s not what it’s about, at all. It’s like you haven’t followed my position on it since the beginning. Jack was my favourite player. Yes there’s a level of vindication relative to my feelings on how bad the organization wasted the asset, but joy I get from his success relative to the disappointment in sabres fans it causes *only* applies to yokels like you who’ve been quoting me endlessly since the deal with endless conflations of what I’m actually saying. People like you and a select few others who were wishing injury and/or poor fortune on him. (I cannot remember if you personally went as far as those hoping he’d not be long for the league). Those tar and feathering his character on his way out. I always had an issue with that and always framed my position in this way.

In general pointing out that Adams lost the trade is rooted in the idea the fans deserve better, to not have that asset wasted in the name of a perpetual rebuild: it’s the opposite of delighting in misery.

I like when Jack succeeds because *I like Jack.*. Which is something you’ve never been able to wrap your head around/take at face value. 

I take it this is reference to my comment about the Lindy Ruff hiring you’re “butthurt” about?

This isn't a hire for the hardcore fans like us. It's a hire for the next level on the pyramid of Buffalo hockey fans.

Not the guy I would have picked, but if I'm honest with myself his resume probably ticks a lot of boxes if his name wasn't Lindy Ruff and this wasn't the Buffalo Sabres.

I suspect he's going to flame out spectacularly.

But I'm going to go with the way @Thorny is reacting because if I squint really hard I can kinda see it, and giving the latest move a chance is just the way I roll.

Now where's my Scotch?

That one?

The one where I refer to Sabrespacers (like yourself) as hardcore fans, and I agreed with your take as the most optimistic, yet still plausible?

You took that as a shot at your fandom?

The point of the “hardcore fans” line was that Adams wasn’t going to get guys like the Sabrespace crowd to flip by hiring Lindy. Guys like us need to see results. But the next level of fan, the one who has kind of stopped paying attention, this is the type of move that might get them to consider returning.

Take that for what it’s worth.

From my perspective, the worst part of this season is adjusting to the anger around here.

I mean I fully understand why people are angry. I just hate the fact that I often seem to make them angrier for basically not being as mad as I should be.

The answer seems to post angrier or post less, and it is not lost on me how many Sabrespacers have chosen to do one or the other.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I take it this is reference to my comment about the Lindy Ruff hiring you’re “butthurt” about?

This isn't a hire for the hardcore fans like us. It's a hire for the next level on the pyramid of Buffalo hockey fans.

Not the guy I would have picked, but if I'm honest with myself his resume probably ticks a lot of boxes if his name wasn't Lindy Ruff and this wasn't the Buffalo Sabres.

But I'm going to go with the way @Thorny is reacting because if I squint really hard I can kinda see it, and giving the latest move a chance is just the way I roll.

Now where's my Scotch?

That one?

The one where I refer to Sabrespacers (like yourself) as hardcore fans, and I agreed with your take as the most optimistic, yet still plausible?

The point of the “hardcore fans” line was that Adams wasn’t going to get guys like the Sabrespace crowd to flip by hiring Lindy. Guys like us need to see results. But the next level of fan, the one who has kind of stopped paying attention, this is the type of move that might get them to consider returning.

From my perspective, the worst part of this season is adjusting to the anger around here.

I mean I fully understand why people are angry. I just hate the fact that I often seem to make them angrier for basically not being as mad as I should be.

The answer seems to post angrier or post less, and it is not lost on me how many Sabrespacers have chosen to do one or the other.

Yes I did indeed use the word “butthurt”

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Now where's my Scotch?

That one?

You aren’t making anyone angry, relax. 

Any downturn in posting is down to the team being bad for 13 years. You know, the enormous elephant in the room.

There used to be MORE arguing here. Not less. That’s the point 

Edited by Thorny

15 hours ago, Thorny said:

You aren’t making anyone angry, relax. 

Any downturn in posting is down to the team being bad for 13 years. You know, the enormous elephant in the room.

There used to be MORE arguing here. Not less. That’s the point 

It feels like I have made people angry. I’m not going looking for receipts.

13 years is absolutely the cause.

More arguing, less anger. That’s exactly what would I’d like to see.

Edited by dudacek

16 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Now where's my Scotch?

That one?

Also, at least 60% of what I post is some sort of joke. Like actually that’s my obvious aim a lot. Sure I flip my lid sometimes but it’s not all one sided. Plenty of posters going the humour route, actually. I think you have a point that there’s some angrier anger at times, and less posting, but I’d also respectfully submit that you are somewhat biased in what you are seeing because of your more neutral position.

I can speak from experience: relative to how this team makes me feel, I come to this board specifically cause it makes me laugh and enjoy things more.

I don’t think I’m especially off base for suggesting you don’t have quite an accurate reading of the board at large: you suggested as recently as yesterday that you “may have worn out your welcome” and I can objectively say you’d be the poster *furthest from doing so* if you polled the board

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It feels like I’m have made people angry. I’m not going looking for receipts.

13 years is absolutely the cause.

More arguing, less anger. That’s exactly what would I’d like to see.

It’s not real anger 

..That comes in the SECOND ROUND DISCUSSION THREAD

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Also, at least 60% of what I post is some sort of joke. Like actually that’s my obvious aim a lot. Sure I flip my lid sometimes but it’s not all one sided. Plenty of posters going the humour route, actually. I think you have a point that there’s some angrier anger at times, and less posting, but I’d also respectful submit that you are somewhat biased in what seeing because of your more neutral position.

I can speak from experience: relative to how this team makes me feel, I come to this board specifically cause it makes me laugh and enjoy things more.

I don’t think I’m especially off base for suggesting you don’t have quite an accurate reading of the board at large: you suggested as recently as yesterday that you “may have worn out your welcome” and I can objectively say you’d be the poster *furthest from doing so* if you polled the board

And a lot of what I post is usually tongue-in-cheek.

Or it least it used be until it started to feel like no one was getting it.

My sense is my “neutral position” is no longer any where near the middle in terms of what the Sabrespace collective thinks (as much as Sabrespace ever has a collective 😁)

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

And a lot of what I post is usually tongue-in-cheek.

Or it least it used be until it started to feel like no one was getting it.

My sense is my “neutral position” is no longer any where near the middle in terms of what the Sabrespace collective thinks (as much as Sabrespace ever has a collective 😁)

As far as the collective it’s called “the Saborg”

- - - 

As for the bold: I’ll pay more attention moving forward