Who will be the next Head Coach of the Buffalo Sabres?

Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the next coach of the Sabres?

• Ruff
    • Appert
    • Gallant
    • Brind’amour
    • Other - NHL Rookie
    • Other - NHL re-tread

This poll is closed to new votes

Why are some people so fixated on Ruff? 

He was here 258854445 years, no cups. Rode Dominick Haseks coat tails most of the time. Overused Miller, didn't handle goaltenders well overall. Botched the gameplan against Boston in 2010. Too many men penalty comes to mind, (sigh). The lost goes on 

Did nothing in Dallas with a talented roster, even missed the playoffs with them. 

Recently fired again

If they hire Ruff this is the same concept as when they traded back for Pominville. A lazy, cheap fan appeasing move. Hard no 

I'd like Gallant above all else, big time hard no to Ruff and Appert or anything like that 

Its time to be serious 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

Why are some people so fixated on Ruff? 

He was here 258854445 years, no cups. Rode Dominick Haseks coat tails most of the time. Overused Miller, didn't handle goaltenders well overall. Botched the gameplan against Boston in 2010. Too many men penalty comes to mind, (sigh). The lost goes on 

Did nothing in Dallas with a talented roster, even missed the playoffs with them. 

Recently fired again

If they hire Ruff this is the same concept as when they traded back for Pominville. A lazy, cheap fan appeasing move. Hard no 

I'd like Gallant above all else, big time hard no to Ruff and Appert or anything like that 

Its time to be serious 

Why are people so fixated on Peca? Was assistant coach in Rochester and now assistant for the Rangers. We don’t know how good he will eventually be but now is not the time for another first time coach.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Flashsabre said:

Why are people so fixated on Peca? Was assistant coach in Rochester and now assistant for the Rangers. We don’t know how good he will eventually be but now is not the time for another first time coach.

You'd have to ask them about Peca, bub. I said in my post I'd like Gallant 

• Haha (+1) 1

Brindamour is my 1A choice and Quenneville is 1b, Beurube 3rd.

Quenneville has taken a lot of steps to meet with people and try to better himself. He’s itching to get back behind the bench. 3 Cups, would be able to help attract high level coaches for his staff and players on the ice. Someone will give him a second chance and be happy they did. Might as well be Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

They need to sell the fans on someone. It can't be a rookie coach. Not even Peca. It just can't be.

If it's Ruff, it's a very good sign. I never thought he was fired but instead wanted out when he saw the tanking handwriting on the wall.

For him to return it would mean 1. He has been assured Terry is committed to winning (read: spending) and 2. He will be given some control over the roster.

Win-win. Then win.

Agreed they need to get the fans excited. It's at that point where seats need to be filled and the wrong choice here will just further alienate the fans and, of course, their money.

On Ruff, I always thought his firing was a scapegoat for Golisano-era penny-pinching muddled with a naive, first-time sports franchise owner eager to get his hands dirty.

He's not what I would call a beast coach, but he's not bad. I know his record.

Let's compare win percentages to some coaches we know:

Montgomery .623
Brind'Amour .616
Keefe .611
Cooper .597
Bylsma .566
Bednar .551
Quenneville .548
Laviolette .534
Hitchcock .531
Berube .517
Ruff .487
Tortorella .480
Maurice .470
Tocchet .446
Bowness .384

I dunno. The sentimental idealist in me would like to see Ruff. But I would consider his return as experimental as hiring a rookie coach.

Peca could get the fans excited just as much as Ruff would (if you think Ruff would get the fans excited), would be just as risky and may have the potential to be our version of Brind'Amour. At least that's how I'd sell it if Sabres Inc. consulted me.

Could Sabres fans get into the idea of Quenneville? What about if that means Patty Kane signs a 1 year with us at the same time?

Edited by ...
Added Berube since mentioned above. Not much better than Ruff.

I think it will be someone who has a past connection with either Adams or Karmanos. Brind’Amour would be 1st choice, but that seems unlikely. Sullivan if he shakes loose from Pittsburgh. Maybe Pittsburgh assistant Todd Rierden, who had two winning seasons with the Caps, but no playoff success, after Trotz left.  Maybe long-time Carolina assistant Jeff Daniels. Appert likely is a candidate.

I will be surprised if Adams steps out of his comfort zone and hires someone he, or someone he trusts, has no history with. 

• Like (+1) 1

Brind Amour is my first choice

Peca is very intriguing 

Craig Berube would be interesting 

No to Ruff, that ship saild a long time ago and hasn't been overly successful at his other stops after Buffalo. Front office of some sort sure, behind the bench, resounding no.

Edited by Ross Rhea
  • Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, ... said:

Let's compare win percentages to some coaches we know:

Montgomery .623
Brind'Amour .616
Keefe .611
Cooper .597
Bylsma .566
Bednar .551
Quenneville .548
Laviolette .534
Hitchcock .531
Berube .517
Ruff .487
Tortorella .480
Maurice .470
Tocchet .446
Bowness .384

I’d like to see this as points % or pts per game coached.  I did the math on Lindy and his was 1.104 pts per game coached.  That’s about 91 pts per season on average.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If it is Lindy Ruff, I am out. 

Nostalgia is a rash that keeps coming back. The Ruff era is in the past. It's time to look for fresh solutions and look to the future instead of trying to reprise the past. A Lindy hire would make absolutely no sense. 

• Agree 1

I personally like Berube. This article sums him up pretty good. here is a part of it.   Berube

"Berube’s impact and reputation was set in stone last May/June when he gave those fiery pregame pep talks to the team in the locker room before puck drop and during intermissions. He didn’t just spit out 75 “” during his speech or be quick and to the point. He spoke to his team like men and it worked.

I could pull player quotes here about Berube, but I have a feeling they would all sound like semi-hot left out overnight frozen pizza-so let me sum it up for you. “He pushes us to be better, we love playing for him, and will go through a wall for him every night.” Boom, that about sums it up.

Sometimes, it can be hard to assess the exact value a head coach brings a team. You look at the record, performance in players, and a few other things to devise a strategy on how to properly quantify the results. It’s not easy, but Berube makes it easy for me. You can tell every game, during a shift or in between periods. The team responds and picks up their play.

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You all keep saying Brind Amour

But he isn't making the decision his wife is lol 

And good luck convincing her

It's bot the fans convincing him, it will be Adams job to convince him. Weren't they team mates?

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How extensive will the coaching search be?

A serious answer to this:

I think when Kevyn hired Donny there wasn't an extensive search.  He knew Donny, had faith in him, and knew that's who he was going to hire.  This time around Kevyn's job is realistically on the line.  If he chooses poorly his head will be next.  So I think he will reach out to every candidate he can think of that he thinks would do a good job and would be interested in coming to Buffalo.  I wouldn't be surprised if he reaches out to a dozen or more candidates, interviews several and finally settles on one. 

I don't think Kevyn has any idea who the next HC of the Sabres will be, unlike last time.  This time the search will be a real search.