We have the talent. What we don't have...

Is the wisdom to have Jim Lorentz personally rehab a bat and release it from the very spot he slayed its great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great greta great great great great great grate great great great great great great great great great great grandfather.

5 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Is the wisdom to have Jim Lorentz personally rehab a bat and release it from the very spot he slayed its great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great great greta great great great great great grate great great great great great great great great great great grandfather.

I actually rehabbed a bat last year. I tried to do my part. It didn't work.

• Like (+1) 1

Talent is hard work. The majority of the sabres stars lack work ethic in the hockey sense. We always hear how young they are, but in the first period they look old. Poor team conditioning. Lack of commitment. Dahlin, and Thompson are the exceptions. Too often the other Sabres stay on the perimeter, don’t keep their heads on defence; won’t get their hands dirty. It’s been the same refrain for two years: Lack of accountability, lack of consistency, lack of effort. Without those elements having talent is being average. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Thorny said:

No I disagree. It’s probably close to the beginning of the end. NHL prime for forwards is statistically ~23-24

I’m not saying he won’t be a good player for a good while longer, but speaking specifically of prime years it’s quite unlikely they’ll be found within any year where his age starts with a 3. 

It was a Churchill quote about WWII. Although I disagree with the 23/24 number.  If I were to paraphrase Winston for this evaluation i would say, it’s the beginning of the middle.   I say he has at least 3 more peak Prime years, then slows a bit. 

25 minutes ago, Ogelthorpe said:

HEART!! and COACHING!

This is pretty much where I’m at. It’s amateur hour here in Sabresland, do what is necessary to land a legit head coach who hires legit assistants.

I think it will make a world of difference, someone who actually preaches “get in front of the net or go to another hockey team”, “play hard and get rewarded with playing time” or some other cliche type of saying like that.

• Agree 2

Pretty sure it’s the fanbase.

From what I hear half of them are really mean and boo the players and stuff.

And the other half has their heads buried in the sand and refuses to make the team accountable for being so goddam terrible for so goddam long.

😘

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Pretty sure it’s the fanbase.

From what I hear half of them are really mean and boo the players and stuff.

And the other half has their heads buried in the sand and refuses to make the team accountable for being so goddam terrible for so goddam long.

😘

Star Wars Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Really? That's cool.

That may be a bit of hyperbole.

I went to my friends house to watch a Sabres game, of all things, and when I got there, he opens the door and flings a bat onto his front sidewalk (he gets them in is house all the time). We went inside, hung out a bit, watched the game, hung out some more. Maybe three+ hours. When I went to leave, I open the front door and the bat was still on the front sidewalk. It was winter so it was pretty cold out. It looked dead, but when I went to touch it, it weakly lifted its head. I asked my buddy if he was going to do anything with it and he says “something will eat it before morning.”

I got in my car to leave. I think I even started to drive away, and thinking about bad Sabres juju, 😂 I said F it, and parked my truck, got a plastic cup and went and got him. Drove home with the heat blasting on it, then I sat in the driveway for another 15 or 20 minutes trying to warm it up. It finally started to look like it was sick of being in a cup, so I opened the door, flicked the cup and he flew away.

So, I didn’t really rehab it, but it absolutely would have died if I had done nothing.

Wish I had taken pictures.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SwampD said:

That may be a bit of hyperbole.

I went to my friends house to watch a Sabres game, of all things, and when I got there, he opens the door and flings a bat onto his front sidewalk (he gets them in is house all the time). We went inside, hung out a bit, watched the game, hung out some more. Maybe three+ hours. When I went to leave, I open the front door and the bat was still on the front sidewalk. It was winter so it was pretty cold out. It looked dead, but when I went to touch it, it weakly lifted its head. I asked my buddy if he was going to do anything with it and he says “something will eat it before morning.”

I got in my car to leave. I think I even started to drive away, and thinking about bad Sabres juju, 😂 I said F it, and parked my truck, got a plastic cup and went and got him. Drove home with the heat blasting on it, then I sat in the driveway for another 15 or 20 minutes trying to warm it up. It finally started to look like it was sick of being in a cup, so I opened the door, flicked the cup and he flew away.

So, I didn’t really rehab it, but it absolutely would have died if I had done nothing.

Wish I had taken pictures.

I mean that's all Lorenzo has to do, but release it at Canalside, and we start winning Cups.

• Haha (+1) 1

The standard is set too low, there's no accountability, no sense of urgency anywhere in the organization.

You hear it from all the players who have left, other teams practice harder pay closer attention to detail, the bar is just set much much higher.

Part of that problem is youth, but it's largely an organizationally wide problem.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

The standard is set too low, there's no accountability, no sense of urgency anywhere in the organization.

You hear it from all the players who have left, other teams practice harder pay closer attention to detail, the bar is just set much much higher.

Part if that problem is youth, but you also see it across the entire organization.   

This feels right on a macro level.

Step one: clear the room

Step two: develop the talent

Step 3: teach them how to win