GDT/ Buffalo Sabres @ Vancouver Canucks Tuesday 10pm 3/19, ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Adams isn’t going to restructure his roster and he isn’t going to replace Granato…

Until Pegula gets tired of being the laughingstock among NHL owners, Adams stays in place and nothing changes, imo.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • dislike 1

17 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Oh no, I'm agreeing with PA! 🙂

The cut off will be around 93 or 94 points, just like almost every year. Teams *actually* in the hunt will pull out a couple extra wins in the next few weeks over their season pace because it's do or die. Plus, they'll play a couple teams that sold at the deadline and are just skating out the season. The Sabres max right now is 95 points. Win out and the Sabres *might* make it. No more losses, overtime or otherwise; it's game 7 for the rest of the year.

Very good. But how do you say Stanley Cup?

11 hours ago, Mango said:

He looks shaky. But he’s also being hung out to dry. The Sabres are lucky this isn’t 6-0.

I don’t mean Levi keeps bailing them out. He has but not as much as luck has played a part. 

That's what I mean. He played his ass off and the offense disappears for the first 50 mins of the game. He deserves a better effort in front of him. Maybe the players were upset because Commie didn't get the nod. Send him back to the Amerks where he gets much more of a team effort in front of him. 

Edited by Claude Balls

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

Look at the players recently drafted.  Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Östlund -  none of them meet that description.  The only way we get that is trades and/or UFAs.  

Totally agree. That's why i have been hard on KA. what this team really needs, he is not getting. Skilled non physical easy to play against forwards are not the answer. They need that power forward that lives in front of the net and cause chaos. At least 2 of them. Maybe trade one of our skilled dmen for a good stay at home physical dman that won't break at first contact. (cough cough....Muel!)

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

That's what I mean. He played his ass off and the offense disappears for the first 50 mins of the game. He deserves a better effort in front of him. Maybe the players were upset because Commie didn't get the nod. Send him back to the Amerks where he gets much more of a team effort in front of him. 

If true then this is a sad bunch.  But I doubt this is true.  

24 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

This play last night by Dahlin was amazing and speaks to the effort he gives on a nightly basis! Deserves the "C" and it's not even close!!

Dahlin truly does hate to lose and even when the odds are a far from even remotely possible he'll continue to go down and defend an empty net.

• Like (+1) 1

Although UPL is playing well, this is the same team from early in the season.

Win a game look good or great. Lose a game look mediocre or awful. 

And, of course, in crucial games down the stretch they are sure to have more 3-2, 2-1 losses … just like last year. 

There is some talent. But the connectivity and team play and most of all player leadership is not there. 

Big part is on coaching. But the talented youth showed no progress over the last year. There is too much “go through the motions.”

Two players clearly improved year over year (Peterka, UPL). Two! Arguably, the two who put in the most work in the offseason. That lack of offseason work ethic is one of the factors killing the development.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

He's done that in at least one other game, too.

So did my 13 year old son in AA hockey.  Baseline give a f maneuvers.  I didn't watch last night, sounds like 26 had a very good game. Nice! Now I want to see smart and disciplined play to buy-in.  I know he has the gaf and exceptional skill already.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Getpucksdeep said:

So did my 13 year old son in AA hockey.  Baseline give a f maneuvers.  I didn't watch last night, sounds like 26 had a very good game. Nice! Now I want to see smart and disciplined play to buy-in.  I know he has the gaf and exceptional skill already.

How does 26 not play smart and disciplined? How has he not bought in? He plays a strong, physical game consistently taking players off the puck. He checks and plays physical along the boards night in and night out! He is supremely talented offensively as his stats show. Does he make mistakes? Yep. Does he press at time trying to do too much. Yep, but who wouldn't given all the losing he has endured. Has this season been frustrating, ABSOLUTELY! It has nothing to do with Dahlin playing smart, not disciplined or him not buying in. It's ridiculous that even needs to be stated!  He should be our next captain and if everyone played like him night in and night out, we wouldn't be missing the playoffs again this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Not yet. We have more than enough here to turn what we have into a playoff team, with a few significant moves. Not a ton, but a few. We don’t need to be the Canucks. Just be a playoff team, thats all the ask is. To start, at least 

Also, Dahlin could still become as good as Hughes. He’s just not right now. But that at least is possible. We might be behind them by a lot at F but the other first overall pick you mentioned combined with Dahlin is more than enough to be built around as a strength of a team and help bridge the gap to the F. Our D core could be comparable to anyone, but it’s enough right now to be a playoff team. We can’t keep letting perfect be the enemy of good

I think Dahlin is at the same level as Hughes.  Last night showed it.  

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Buffalo does not have a #1 center so good luck finding one of those in the next few years. They are going to have to figure out how to add another #2 center and hope that have a couple #2s will be good enough to make some noise if they ever make the playoffs again. 

Thompson can be  a 1C.   Cozens can be a 2C.   We need to get a whole lot better at 3C and 4C.  They have the assets to add another 2C and push Cozens to 3C.  

We have Krebs, Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, and Östlund in the system at various stages of readiness.   Maybe a few of these kids are better wingers in NHL? 

If Adams says once again that they want to win now than he needs to move some of them, or his #1 pick in 2024,  for proven NHL talent and hopefully develop of few that remain.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I think Dahlin is at the same level as Hughes.  Last night showed it.  

Dahlin is still growing/learning/getting better. BUT, I think his play gets better and he gets more recoginition if/when he is on a team that is doing a lot better.  If the Sabres were to be a 100+ point team next year and fighting for a division title, he may very well get attention as one of the best in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Dahlin is still growing/learning/getting better. BUT, I think his play gets better and he gets more recoginition if/when he is on a team that is doing a lot better.  If the Sabres were to be a 100+ point team next year and fighting for a division title, he may very well get attention as one of the best in the league.

100 percent agree, you're spot on!

6 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Thompson can be  a 1C.   Cozens can be a 2C.   We need to get a whole lot better at 3C and 4C.  They have the assets to add another 2C and push Cozens to 3C.  

We have Krebs, Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, and Östlund in the system at various stages of readiness.   Maybe a few of these keys are better wingers in NHL? 

If Adams says once again that they want to win now than he needs to move some of them, or his #1 pick in 2024,  for proven NHL talent and hopefully develop of few that remain.  

It would appear they are thinking Krebs could take that 3c job...but since the Mitts trade, he is only averaging just over 12 minutes of ice time per game. Not exactly throwing him out there and waiting for him to take that spot.  Only Robinson and Jost are getting less ice time than him (and even they are within a few seconds of Krebs).

I'm thinking/hoping Thompson is playing through a wrist injury that will be better next year.  He had a 'career' year last year, but it wasn't just last year, he had a full year the season before where he was shooting at 15+ percent and scoring at a 40 goal pace.  If he gets back to that 40+ goal guy they team is in pretty good shape, I just need to see it.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Erik Karlsssssson won the Norris by playing ZERO defense for a bottom team, so it is not required. Regardless of whether or not he should have won it, he did.

2 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

Send Comrie to the moon and tell the team to get over it or they can join him.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Send Comrie to the moon and tell the team to get over it or they can join him.

I've played on beer league teams where you are like "I know Steve sucks, but he's a helluva guy and his wife just left him and he tries, we can't kick him off." Hell, I have probably been 'Steve' (minus the wife leaving part 🤞) on a few teams.

But that has no place on a professional sports team. No one in that locker room should be able to say with a straight face that Comrie makes the team better unless they are a pathological liar.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, inkman said:

I’m not convinced there is enough fight in the dogs we got to go anywhere with any coach.  Before we bring in coach hard ass, we need to weed out the guys who don’t want it.  Or have that coach do it for you but don’t be surprised if that coach wants to move on from a few big names on the roster.  

This is definitely possible but that's why I said 2 years not 1 (like Tochet has done). Skinner fits that bill no question. After him, I think the surrounding atmosphere may bring some of the others to where they need to be. It's optimistic, but I think many of them are young enough to be able to be turned around in the right climate. 

You look at the departures. Eichel, Reinhart, now Mitts. Their competitive edge is there in their new competitive environments. It may take less than you think here. 

I may be deluded, but I have to believe that.

• Agree 1

I don't think for a second that any player was mad that Comrie didn't play. That was a comment that doesn't deserve to be discussed by anyone! I just think we didn't play our game and credit Vancouver for not allowing us to play our offensive game. That's the reason Vancouver is one of the top 5 teams in the league!

Edited by LETSTUCHINGO
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is definitely possible but that's why I said 2 years not 1 (like Tochet has done). Skinner fits that bill no question. After him, I think the surrounding atmosphere may bring some of the others to where they need to be. It's optimistic, but I think many of them are young enough to be able to be turned around in the right climate. 

You look at the departures. Eichel, Reinhart, now Mitts. Their competitive edge is there in their new competitive environments. It may take less than you think here. 

I may be deluded, but I have to believe that.

I agree with the macro view of Skinner. But I watched most of the first two periods last night and I thought he was actually pretty hard on the puck last night. He made a few bonehead passes, and did lose some puck battles, but he was forechecking (fore-pestering?) pretty hard and I actually noticed him zipping around in the D-zone at least trying to cover players and/or areas.

Maybe I was drunk or delirious from lack of sleep and by no means does this mean he is getting a selke - but I think if he played that way consistently, we could leave him alone until we buy him out?

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

No, they are better. We are thinking, switch coaches, we are Vancouver and they are the sabres? We finish top 5? I’d say this is a wild take but, I can’t keep up anymore lol 

Not exactly or that simple but sort of. We could have started the season much like they did. We'd have had to make the same sort of moves/additions they did. Get a Zadorov type. A Lindholm type. Make a few bold moves and a little roster rearrangement to suit the coach but overall I think we could definitely be in the hunt and maybe even ahead of the Leafs.