GDT / Islanders @ Sabres, Thurs 3/14, 7pm MSG, ESPN+ & WGR Radio

56 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They are playing so well right now. Power has matured, UPL has matured, Benson has arrived and everyone one else is just getting it done.

I started a thread saying we need patience, well, it's happening! Even if they fall short this year--likely--it's hard not to be excited--ya I know, yet again--about next season 

Go Sabres!

Aside from the player particulars… believe we were all excited about the next season this time last year, only to be dismayed for the first couple months… Am excited by our current play and not inclined to project yet… Just enjoying this season ending run.

• Like (+1) 2

I have to say that i was pretty nervous about this game as the Sabres do not usually do well against a heavy forechecking defensive teams. I am pleasantly surprised at the 60 minute domination!!! That i want more of please!! Definitely hoping that this confidence builds and continues to build. They still need a ton of help to really be considered for playoffs and a 2 game slip up will take them right back out of the equation. Playing like this game after game though will definitely help their chances along with 6k playing up to his level the SAbres thought he would achieve. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

There were zealots here who were arguing that he should be dealt for some retread on the market. When it comes to judging goalies, experienced or not, the best approach is to be humble. One year's Vezina winner could turn out to be next year's bum. I'm not in the column of those predicting that UPL would be playing at his current level for such a sustained time.  The truth is no one was. It just seems that because so much frustration has been built over the seasons that it has resulted in people looking for instant cures instead of allowing young players to develop. That same impatience has also been directed towards players such as Cozens, Mitts, Power etc. Very often, trusting in the process takes a lot of fortitude and courage to simply stick it out and allow things to naturally unfold. And it should be understood that I'm not suggesting that little else should be done to augment the process.  As it turns out, the GM who has very much been vilified, was right on how he has handled this particular goalie. 

Once we lost Ulmark, I was firmly on the camp of bringing in a NHL starting goalie to help the team compete while UPL stayed in Rochester and Levi was in NCAA.  Nothing that happened makes that strategy wrong.  Adam’s started talking about blockers about the time Ulmark left   

IMHO - Tokarski, Dell, Comrie and a very aged Anderson was not adequate GM work by Adams, especially given his asset stockpile and his cap situation.   

Everyone in the NHL circles raised eyebrows at the process Adams took.  He was subtly criticized on ESPN and TNT.  Even Kevin Weekes made comments this season and did an eye roll on the Sabres goaltending situation prior to January.   The ESPN panel questioned this in between periods. 

Adams can get credit for developing UPL. He can equally get blame for missing playoff last year, and probably this year.  This team was better than were they finished in each of these seasons. 

If I had to do this again, I would still start by bringing in a goalie that can help your core players compete and buy time to bring up your goalie prospects from the lower leagues until they are ready 

This season a vet and UPL was the logical way to go.  Levi was promised something I hear.  We have to get past that.  Once this team stops sucking they will have leverage when dealing with 20 year old prospects.  Comrie was promised another look too.   

A vet and UPL could have done the job and kept us in the race all season.  UPL would have probably emerged either way.  

Congrats to Adams for developing UPL.   Now, moving forward, he MUST make the moves to get us out of hockey hell.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

They are playing so well right now. Power has matured, UPL has matured, Benson has arrived and everyone one else is just getting it done.

I started a thread saying we need patience, well, it's happening! Even if they fall short this year--likely--it's hard not to be excited--ya I know, yet again--about next season 

Go Sabres!

Narrator: It's not hard.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Young players getting better, check

NHL goalie, check

New talent infused into line up, check

Narrator: Oh, it moved!

When I see the last x games for 30 games in the fall, I will slip the little couch cushion over my nether region.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Go Sabres!

I’d be excited, too. And, yes, hoping they don’t disappoint on that excitement like they did this year, overall. Like you said, we were excited last summer, too, for the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

Too lazy to find one of the "Benson needs to be in the AHL next season" posts - but I thought we established he will still be too young next year (see: Savoie) and it is NHL or juniors for him. Am I misremembering? Do we need a thread with the title "Benson can only play in NHL or juniors next year" to keep it straight? lol

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

When I see the last x games for 30 games in the fall, I will slip the little couch cushion over my nether region.

This....... I want them to do this at the beginning of the year. Then we won't be worried about scoreboard watching and every game being a "Milky White". I am just hoping that this does not make KA decide to roll into next year without making improvements. 

6 minutes ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

This....... I want them to do this at the beginning of the year. Then we won't be worried about scoreboard watching and every game being a "Milky White". I am just hoping that this does not make KA decide to roll into next year without making improvements. 

It doesn’t mitigate the disappointment of the year but I’d actually be inclined to consider Byram such an addition that we’ve at least already made some *real progress* on the roster improvement we want: so while I’m still expecting a few things, the strong finish with Byram looking integral along the way does help convince me some of the work is already done 

Edited by Thorny

5 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Too lazy to find one of the "Benson needs to be in the AHL next season" posts - but I thought we established he will still be too young next year (see: Savoie) and it is NHL or juniors for him. Am I misremembering? Do we need a thread with the title "Benson can only play in NHL or juniors next year" to keep it straight? lol

As I understand it benson can only play in NHL or Juniors next year. Savoie can play with the Amerks or Sabres. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Once we lost Ulmark, I was firmly on the camp of bringing in a NHL starting goalie to help the team compete while UPL stayed in Rochester and Levi was in NCAA.  Nothing that happened makes that strategy wrong.  Adam’s started talking about blockers about the time Ulmark left   

IMHO - Tokarski, Dell, Comrie and a very aged Anderson was not adequate GM work by Adams, especially given his asset stockpile and his cap situation.   

Everyone in the NHL circles raised eyebrows at the process Adams took.  He was subtly criticized on ESPN and TNT.  Even Kevin Weekes made comments this season and did an eye roll on the Sabres goaltending situation prior to January.   The ESPN panel questioned this in between periods. 

Adams can get credit for developing UPL. He can equally get blame for missing playoff last year, and probably this year.  This team was better than were they finished in each of these seasons. 

If I had to do this again, I would still start by bringing in a goalie that can help your you core players compete and buy time to bring up your goalie prospects in the lower leagues until they are ready 

This season a vet and UPL was the logical way to go.  Levi was promised something I hear.  We have to get past that.  Once this team stops sucking they will have leverage when dealing with 20 year old prospects.  Comrie was promised another look too.   

A vet and UPL could have done the job and kept us in the race all season.  UPL would have probably emerged either way.  

Congrats to Adams for developing UPL.   Now, moving forward, he MUST make the moves to get us out of hockey hell.  

Great post. To add on I think part of it is how best to develop a goalie and letting UPL struggle  for a few season in the NHL seems to fall in the category of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

It feels like a no brainer that the best thing for UPL was to have some stability in net to learn from or spend more time in Rochester. Not a whole lot different than Levi. The kid has the potential to be really good, but you have to let him bake. There are a lot of pro-athletes that never turn out because they got rushed into responsibility. You never hear of a player in any sport that was "ruined" by being  a back up for an extra year or spending an extra year in the minors. 

Happy for UPL and Sabres. Super amped to come into next season with UPL and Levi. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

Recrimination is not a good look here. I'm expecting it though... I knew they had it all along!

8 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

You know what you did.

I was a smartass? That is generally all I am and all I do, so I must assume that is what it is 🙂

Edit: I had to look up 'recrimination' cuz I very much doubted myself and shocker I was wrong ... so despite my fear of now recrimination against you ... I don't think I recriminated in my post? I admitted to being lazy and was definitely snarky about a topic I thought the smart folks around here had already put to bed. I throw myself on the mercy of the court!

Edited by ska-T Chitown
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LETSTUCHINGO said:

If what you said is true, "Recrimination is not a good look here.", I can't help but wonder why so many wear it here!

What else is there to do?

35 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

29 minutes ago, steveoath said:

As I understand it benson can only play in NHL or Juniors next year. Savoie can play with the Amerks or Sabres. 

I get the CHL - NHL agreement. I just don't like it at times. 

For a kid like Benson it makes sense to have a provision where if an NHL team is willing to eat a roster spot or dress an 18/19 year old for I don't know 30, 40 games in a single season that they become eligible for the AHL. If a team is willing to eat a roster spot for half a year to get a kid skating at practice then they should be able to send him to the AHL. That way the CHL still has some protection of it's stars and the NHL does have a work around but it does create some sacrifice. There should be a set process rather than asking for special permission. 

Just spit balling. 

28 minutes ago, ska-T Chitown said:

I was a smartass? That is generally all I am and all I do, so I must assume that is what it is 🙂

Edit: I had to look up 'recrimination' cuz I very much doubted myself and shocker I was wrong ... so despite my fear of now recrimination against you ... I don't think I recriminated in my post? I admitted to being lazy and was definitely snarky about a topic I thought the smart folks around here had already put to bed. I throw myself on the mercy of the court!

Judge Smell is... Well, in his chambers and won't be coming out for a bit.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Reading this board lately I am very much looking forward to seeing how the goalposts move come the end of the regular season. 

That's what I'm talking about even if I probably don't know what a recrimination is.

The one I'm looking forward to is how the Sabres got thiiiissss close to 103 points.