GDT / Anaheim Ducks @ Buffalo Sabres Monday Feb 19th 12:30pm ESPN+ MSG & WGR Radio

Shoot da Puck

14 minutes ago, Marvin said:

One thing this team does not have enough of are NHL middle-agers with talent who can teach the younger players how to not get down when things go wrong.  Two years ago, they had those guys without much talent.  This year, there are too few of those guys with more team talent.  This requires not getting to enamoured with the draft picks.

Adams fatal flaw… Saw it coming in the preseason when he kept rotating in draft picks to audition in the final 3-4 games… when he should have instructed Granato to play his regular season lineup to get the team ready to play winning hockey right from the start… Cost us three weeks in my opinion.

Edited by Believer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Rasmus_ said:

Losing to John Gibson should be a broken stick on the ice. That guy is horrible.

What?   Andrew Peters says he knows from sources within the organization that we are trading Mitts for Gibson.  It could be happing right now. 

1 minute ago, Believer said:

Adams fatal flaw… Saw it coming in the preseason when he kept rotating in draft picks to audition in the final 3-4 games… when he should have instructed Granato to play his regular season lineup to get the team ready to play winning hockey right from that start… Cost us three weeks in my opinion.

We never caught up.  The big guys all took turns getting hurt, and the goalie tryout went on for another 2 months.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

We never caught up.  The big guys all took turns getting hurt, and the goalie tryout went on for another 2 months.

Yep… Never built an identity… 

Think our Strength and Training Staff and their individual player and team programs need to be reviewed closely… Our young players are still growing… Need more muscle weight and strength.

Edited by Believer
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What?   Andrew Peters says he knows from sources within the organization that we are trading Mitts for Gibson.  It could be happing right now. 

That would be such a ***** joke

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

It's a good thing  the dude said No twice already 

Peter's is just throwing ***** at a wall

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

"It's all gonna come back at some point" - Don Granato, on the Sabres scoring.

Doubt that’s how winning NHL coaches talk.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with everything.   I am still made at this team, don’t hate them, but I’m ready to replace a lot of them.  

I too ponder how having home ice and the final change is not a factor for Granato.  It’s just not.  

Even me in my living room could see the Johnson’s were struggling, yet he kept sending them out against Vatrano-Terry-McTavish.  That line scored on them 3 times in the 2nd, they played almost 12 minutes by the end of that period,  way too much.  

It’s that time of year, just like last year.  He does not have enough defense with Power and Muel out of the rotation.   Who do you trust?  

He just seems to roll lines every game. There's no match ups beyond the period opening. It's absurd, especially since the lines abilities are far from equal. 

In terms of D his only answer seems to be play Dahlin a lot and pray. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here's what I do,

1. You fire Granato and the entire coaching staff the day after the season ends

2. You make the players watch the playoffs as a group, KA can organize it.

3. You make a push to get RBA and if that doesn't work hire Gallant, Beudreau, or Berube

4. Have the coach come in and have a team meeting; tell them they need to hop on the bus to win or exit stage left. (We know these guys like it here, now we just need to weed out the ones who don't care enough about winning) 

5. Give them their marching orders(suggestions) for the summer and take care of the disinterested

6. Make some moves and then go to Prague with a rabid hyena in your pants and win.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t say fire Granato because they will put in Appert as interim and screw up Rochester, or worse, Ellis.  

Wait for the season to end and look for a coach.  Offer Brind’Amour a ton.  If not, talk to and interview Berube, Gallant, and all of the top candidates.  

DG did his best work already.  Time for the next step.  

Season for either team can hardly get screwed up more. They need a new coach. Maybe a new one in Rochester as the apparent great NHL talent is hardly setting things on fire. I’d go to March 1 or so, maybe a week later. That’s it. 

Fans need an assurance Adams will act. They need to be wooing a veteran coach to come in. I’d even hire a new coach now before all of them are off the market. And let him sit upstairs in an advisory role. Let him evaluate the team from a distance.

Sabres FO also need to up their developmental game as a whole. Set offseason standards for the players that if not met will cost them playing time. They need to know they better come into camp stronger and in phenomenal shape and ready to compete. And might as well let the players know now that things will be different next year. 

And after he fires Granato, Adams needs to meet with the team. Express his belief in their talent but his disgust with their play and work ethic going back to last off season, through an uninspiring training camp into the season. Let them know that next season starts with work ethic now. And the next coach will not tolerate this kind of inconsistent play and weak effort. 

And tell them to quit whining about the fans. They have put trash on the ice that isn’t worth the price of admission most of the time. And that the fans make a lot less than they do. And that while the players haven’t been here for the past 13 seasons, the fans have and the players need to understand that. That if they right the ship the fans will see them as heroes. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’m all for firing Granato, mostly because why not.  But this is on the players.  They don’t have players that play with courage and desire.  They have guys who want to dangle and score goals from 30 feet.  I’d gut the team at this point.  Stick with Cozens, Peterka, Quinn and Benson.  Trade, buy out,  get rid of every other single player.  I hate them all.  Even Kulich and Rosen who apparently can’t take a couple flights and play for their country without it screwing up their lives. 

I agree but that way of playing is also on the coaching. If they demanded a different style of play not every one of them would adapt and some would have to go, but I think some of them could be changed. Eichel played 2 way hockey in the cup run. That never happened when he was here. Torts partially fixed Risto. Reinhart is having a career year. There are lesser names as well but it's not worth going over all of them. 

The roster is poorly constructed and we have not been well coached since they fired Ruff. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Here's what I do,

3. You make a push to get RBA and if that doesn't work hire Gallant, Beudreau, or Berube

4. Have the coach come in and have a team meeting; tell them they need to hop on the bus to win or exit stage left. (We know these guys like it here, now we just need to weed out the ones who don't care enough about winning) 

5. Give them their marching orders(suggestions) for the summer and take care of the disinterested

6. Make some moves and then go to Prague with a rabid hyena in your pants and win.

I like it, but I don't think you can do that by player's association rules. Once the season ends they are free. Unfortunately. 

We need a new coach and a boot camp training camp though that's for sure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Here's what I do,

This is all well and nice, but why do pro athletes need to be motivated, especially some who've been rewarded with long-term extensions?  

Yelling and screaming does nothing for a guy who's got guaranteed money coming for 4 or more seasons.  

GM has really tied the hands of a future HC, if they did dump Granato with 2 year left on his deal. 

• Agree 1

Watching these games on tv, the body language amongst these guys is terrible. Last year, they were a team. They were smiling, they were flying around, they looked like they were enjoying themselves and eachother. This year, I see a team (barely) going through the motions. Some of that is certainly on the players, but (to me) that falls heavily on the coaches. When's the last time you saw Granato or Ellis getting on someone's ass on the bench? Ever? Has Granato ever benched or scratched someone for lousy effort or making an inexcusable mistake? I can't name an instance. If nobody above is correcting their behavior, the players will continue to loaf and mope around. The guys on the ice certainly aren't policing themselves. It's a ***** country club.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Agree 5

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.