2024 NHL DRAFT Talk

Spoonman

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

OK...Grit. ..or size that isn't afraid of kittens. 

This isn’t really about prospects anyway, it’s about wanting more shift disturbers on the actual team.

The number of Tom Wilsons worthy of top 10 picks in the NHL draft are few and far between, year after year. If you’re taking the best one available ahead of a Zach Benson, or an Owen Power, you’re probably not getting the best player.

It’s not that aren’t interested in the type. The Sabres picked Wahlberg and Strbak in the 2nd round last year, they’ve got guys like Miedema, Novikov, Poltapov and Nadeau in the system.

It’s whether or not guys like that work out.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, SDBillsfan said:

Assuming we don't trade #11 for some immediate veteran help, I'd say that Tij Iginla would be my first choice as a realistic #1 pick. Good chance he's gone by then, though, especially with Calgary slotted ahead of us.

That would be lots of pressure for him if the flames selected him 

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/ferraris-2024-nhl-draft-rankings-top-64-before-the-world-u-18s

Here is a list that will have some opinions about it😁

Here are my realistic players that I would like the Sabres to draft

in no particular order

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, RW,

Liam Greentree, RW, Windsor 

Tij Iginla, LW, Kelowna 

Adam Jiricek, RHD, Plzen

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Here are my realistic players that I would like the Sabres to draft

in no particular order

Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, RW,

Liam Greentree, RW, Windsor 

Tij Iginla, LW, Kelowna 

Adam Jiricek, RHD, Plzen

For me it's Mack Celebrini, Ivan Demidov, trade the pick. 

• Agree 1

Okay, Pronman put Demidov at #8 which is bizarre. Demidov is the 2nd best player in this draft and full tier level above #3. 

This is from 7 months ago and he's gotten better. 

He has 25pts in 13 MHL playoff games. The MHL is probably a step below the QMJHL but it is a jr u20 league in Russia. He also had 60pts in 30 MHL reg season games. If you watch any of his highlights, this isn't some passenger type scoring winger. He will attack and drive the net, create space for shots, and is at least above average in hockey IQ. He has all the handles you could want and a very good shot. Pronman comps him to Jeff Skinner and I think that is because of some of his skating, there is a clip where Demidov opens his hips and does the trademark Skinner half moon skating slide. 

Note in this clip a few things outside of what Cam says. BTW, if you want draft stuff, follow Cam). Demidov starts about a full stride behind the defender but uses his strong legs to go past him, his skating stride is okay but can be improved. Note how he isn't getting a full leg extension and he is hunched a little too much. Still he has decent ankle flexion and uses his edges well to generate speed. He tracks the puck well in the air and then gets it to the outside of the 2nd defender. Here we see a good use of his edges as he was moving towards the wall but once he has the puck he cuts in and across the hands of that defender all while keeping the puck outside. The should drop bumps that defender off him enough so he can put his other hand on his stake and shoot. He has good balance here as well. 

Here is a more recent scouting report on Demidov. I am going through it now. Before I do though, I just want to say the above clip is not uncommon when watching Demidov. He drives the net, has a good shot, great hands, strong on his skates with good edges. He has 1 more year on his Russian contract but then I would expect a move to NA. He is not a finesse only winger FTR. He has more to his game although I wonder about high end deception stuff. Still this is the 2nd best player in the class for me. If Buffalo were to win the #2 spot in the lottery, they should take Demidov and prepare for him to come over next summer. With Novikov and other Russians in the system, I would hope he would feel comfortable doing just that. He is easily the replacement for Skinner and could become a better more well rounded version. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's talk about Mack Celebrini. Buffalo finished 11th which means they have the slim 3% chance of moving allllllll the way up to #1 in the NHL draft. We are actually in the final slot that could move all the way up (1-11 have a shot at #1). 

Mack Celebrini is better Jack Eichel. I say better because I don't see some of the in shift relaxing that Eichel has. Celebrini has a motor that is somewhere below Benson but above Peterka. His skating, IMO improved from when I saw him last year at the u18s (I was not there in person I saw video). By improved, I mean I felt that he was stronger on his skates and was also just a touch faster. His skating stride is good and I think as a 17yr old, it will only get better. 

Next part is his IQ. Zach Benson is the poster child for high hockey IQ on the Sabres. As the season wore on, Benson really started to use the high end IQ he is blessed with and in the last 2 months the game slowed way down for him. Celebrini is closer to Benson than most. He sees plays that are 1 or 2 passes out and anticipates really well. He has the handling and puck skills to capitalize on those high end ideas. You see a lot of plays where he will bait a defender and then do something else. He rarely skates himself into trouble. Fakes, dekes, manipulations are all a part of his game. He likes to move defenders and he likes to create advantages for his team. If you put Benson - Celebrini - Quinn on a line, and they are all 20-24yr olds, they are nightmare for opposing teams. 

What about his skills. I have already mentioned Celebrini's puck handles, he can do keep the puck on a string and deke at full speed. His passing is crisp and accurate. His shot is good, I know some really love it and he does shoot in stride. He can change the release point almost at will. If I had to rank it, it is below Bedard for sure but I think it will only get better. Remember that he was 17 all year in the NCAA so we don't see an 18yr old with a November bday here, we see a 17yr old born in mid june. There is a lot more to come from him. His shot is already a strength and my point here is that it will only improve. 

To put him in perspective I am going to compare him to Benson. Benson is a 3 out of 5 in this scale where 3 means you are equal to Benson. 2 would be below average compared to Benson and 1 would be Benson laughs at your attempt to do it how he does it. 4 is above average benson and 5 is Benson wants you to teach him how you do it. Bedard would have a 5 shot compared to Benson, McDavid would have 5 skating compared to Benson if that helps anchor you here. Olofsson would be a 1 in terms of physicality on this scale. 

Celebrini

Puckhandling - 4 (he has better hands than Benson)

Skating - 4 (Benson and Mack have the similar edgework and lower bodies but Celebrini is faster and generates speed quicker)

Shot - 4.5 (Benson has an okay shot, but Celebrini has a quicker shot and it is already harder, Celebrini's shot is a below Bedard's but still very good)

IQ - 3 (these are really smart guys)

Compete - 2.5 (sorry but while I like Celebrini's compete and grit, Benson is just a bit above still and will probably always be a bit above)

Positioning - 3 (they know where to be and how to get there)

Physicality - 2.5 (Benson is more physical but not by a ton. Celebrini just uses his body less than Benson to create space, probably because Celebrini is faster)

Backchecking - 2.5 (Benson is more voracious in checking in general but Celebrini is solid here too. He would be in the top 5 on the Sabres right out of the gate)

Basically what you get in Celebrini is a strong NHL ready talent that is very young with lots of runway left. He is smart and tenacious like Benson while have some better overall qualities and also being bigger at 6' 190lbs (we will check his weight at the combine). If you could mix Quinn and Benson together, you would get Celebrini IMPO. He is a perfect NHL center in the making. If Buffalo manages to get the 1st overall pick, they should keep it and take Celebrini. He instantly can slot in as the #3 center and within 1-2 years will be your #2 center, within 3-4 years, your #1 center. There are no holes in his game I have seen. While he has some work to do, he's easily for me on the same level as Jack Eichel when he went #2 overall. I think he has more motor than Jack though. Would love Celebrini in Buffalo but know it won't happen. Is he a franchise changing player? Not at 18yrs old but at 22yrs old, he is most assuredly a guy who could easily be a game breaking talent. Won't be 18 until June 12, scored 32goals and 64pts in 38 NCAA games. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/17/2024 at 10:03 AM, LGR4GM said:

Mack Celebrini is better Jack Eichel. I say better because I don't see some of the in shift relaxing that Eichel has. Celebrini has a motor that is somewhere below Benson but above Peterka. His skating, IMO improved from when I saw him last year at the u18s (I was not there in person I saw video). By improved, I mean I felt that he was stronger on his skates and was also just a touch faster. His skating stride is good and I think as a 17yr old, it will only get better. 

I see him as a Sebastian Aho type of player.

I am not ready to anoint him as a sure fire superstar but he was excellent in the NCAA as a very young man and I was impressed with him being Canada’s best player at the WJHC at 17.

Small sample size but goalie Mike McIvor of the OHL’s North Bay Battalion has had a fantastic playoff run so far. As a backup he went 8-9 with a 3.78 GAA and .876 SV% in the regular season.

Dom DeVincentiis, a Jets prospect and OHL goaltender of the year last, went down early in the playoffs and McIvor took over the net. He has gone 7-1 with 2.28 .924 numbers so far.

He could be a 7th round stab at a goalie.

29 minutes ago, kas23 said:

We all said the same thing last year. You never know. But maybe this is a weak draft. 

Benson is a rare kid. I don't see finding that in this draft at 11. I'd add that if, with our prospect pool, the 11 overall pick is on the Sabres in the fall, then Kevyn Adams has failed miserably. I would call the offseason a dumpster fire if that happens.

On 4/15/2024 at 5:52 PM, dudacek said:

This isn’t really about prospects anyway, it’s about wanting more shift disturbers on the actual team.

The number of Tom Wilsons worthy of top 10 picks in the NHL draft are few and far between, year after year. If you’re taking the best one available ahead of a Zach Benson, or an Owen Power, you’re probably not getting the best player.

It’s not that aren’t interested in the type. The Sabres picked Wahlberg and Strbak in the 2nd round last year, they’ve got guys like Miedema, Novikov, Poltapov and Nadeau in the system.

It’s whether or not guys like that work out.

I saw Wahlberg in the rookie camp last year.  Benson was the best player there, but Wahlberg was highly noticeable.  Great to see him in the AHL now. 

I like this prospect a lot. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I don’t have any opinion on him as a prospect, but found it interesting that Miro Satan’s kid is draft eligible this year.  

The Sabres have brought back Lindy and the Goat Heads.  Now bring back Satan. 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/806027/miroslav-satan

Mofo is 6'7" 190lbs. There's a 6th round flier type of pick. 

• Like (+1) 1