There's a reason why Kane did not sign with the Sabres

RETURNTOGLORY

13 hours ago, Sabres Super Fan said:

It was crushing for the Buffalo Sabres franchise because he had a name to help sell tickets. Yes Patrick Kane’s best days are behind him but he has marquee which the Buffalo Sabres need to sell tickets. When the Buffalo Sabres ask for public money New York State residents are going to say you can’t fill the arena why should Buffalo and New York State make that public investment? The Buffalo Sabres attendance is a huge problem now in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Kane is a 1st ballot Hall of Famer and has had a great career.  He's won multiple Stanley Cups.  He's from Buffalo.  He grew up a Sabres fan.  The Sabres expressed some interest in signing him as a free agent, as they kick the tires on all available free agents.  Because of all of these other facts, they kicked them a few more times in Kane's situation.  In the end, I don't believe the Sabres were all that interested in signing him.  He's a small player, doesn't help on defense, and is well past his prime.  Notwithstanding the many problems the Sabres have right now, Kane is not and was not the solution.

Detroit likely made a much harder push to sign him, plus he had the opportunity to play with one of his good friends from their Chicago days, Alex Debrincat.  Kane has publicly stated that Debrincat was a factor in his decision.

I don't buy the narrative that dysfunction in the Sabres organization was the reason he didn't sign with the Sabres.  In any event, not signing him is starting to look like a good thing.  In the meantime, the Sabres have other, much bigger problems to solve.

• Agree 2

Patrick was just about to sign with Buffalo when I texted him about this hateful website called SabreSpace. An online dumpster where supposed Sabres fans trash all their best players. 10 minutes later, a disgusted Patrick signed with Detroit. True story, or my name isn't Jack Eichel. Peace out, -Jack Eichel

• Haha (+1) 3

20 hours ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Not the point. The fact that @ this stage of his career he would not want to play at home is telling. 

I’m sure a lot of players at different stages of their career don’t want to come here. There is no inside knowledge to be had. Everyone, fans and players, know this organization is screwed up.

The thread title is borderline clickbait. It suggests there is some detail about the organization us common folk are unaware of. The OP does not provide that detail. Maybe because it doesn’t exist.

8 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Who cares? Detroit has stunk since signing him...coincidence? I dont' believe in coincidences and besides Kane is the exact oppostie of what this team needs. It does not need another floater... I wish for Marcus back for Xmas (or someone to add some muscle please) 

It is a coincidence. They have had a rash of injuries and most of all the Larkin thing shook them up a little. They were due for a fall off/leveling off as well after the relatively hot start. They've moved up to be a playoff contender, but they aren't that deep and are far from a top level team. Kane hasn't helped or hindered them imo. 

I suspect Kane signed his deal with a team near his current home to test out what he had left himself. If it goes well he'll be looking for a few more years from another team (maybe Buffalo will be on the list for sentimental reasons) maybe a contender, maybe just whoever offers the most money for his retirement fund. Doesn't really matter as he looks pretty much done. 

As for Marcus, well sure. I hated that trade as I just said coincidentally in the trade thread and a few years back I was advocating we should try to get both Folignos together to end their careers "home" and turn the attitude on this team around. Yes, I figured Nick had little left to offer on ice but the boys together and the leadership they'd have taught to Cozens and others would have been invaluable. Could have been one possible way to flip this thing in line with what this young talented group lacks. BUT, Sabres don't value that sort of thing. We prefer nice guys who think this is just a "sophomore slump". and so it goes on and on and on and............

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnRobertEichel said:

Patrick was just about to sign with Buffalo when I texted him about this hateful website called SabreSpace. An online dumpster where supposed Sabres fans trash all their best players. 10 minutes later, a disgusted Patrick signed with Detroit. True story, or my name isn't Jack Eichel. Peace out, -Jack Eichel

image.png.5ec0741930454999315d9aa8f0a3a1a3.png

On 12/20/2023 at 3:50 PM, RETURNTOGLORY said:

He has inside knowledge of the dysfunctional aspect of this team and lack of leadership both ON the ice and off.

He could have been a difference maker here. 

Evander effing Kane cares about functionality and leadership? 

Edit: I'll leave the above because it's a happy mistake. And I look really dumb, which is fun.

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:10 PM, Sabres Super Fan said:

It was crushing for the Buffalo Sabres franchise because he had a name to help sell tickets. Yes Patrick Kane’s best days are behind him but he has marquee which the Buffalo Sabres need to sell tickets. When the Buffalo Sabres ask for public money New York State residents are going to say you can’t fill the arena why should Buffalo and New York State make that public investment? The Buffalo Sabres attendance is a huge problem now in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

You know what would sell tickets? 

Playing at home like they did tonight more often than they play like did against Columbus. 

That would be a good start.

This is not some bottom feeding team devoid of talent that needs a name player so fans will come.

This is a highly talented team that simply needs to get their collective heads out of their @sses most nights and play up to their potential.

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

On 12/20/2023 at 5:01 PM, sabremike said:

He's completely washed. We dodged a bullet because the guy has nothing left.

He has scored 5 goals (including a game winning shootout goal against the flyers) and  5 assist in 10 games. He is totally washed. 🙄🤦‍♂️

Dog Biting GIF by MOODMAN

I absolutely agree that Kane didn’t sign in Buffalo because of the massive dysfunction. He obviously sees that the team is spinning their wheels with basically the same type of players in the roster. 

the red wings are a much more rounded out team and it shows. Yeah they’re struggling a bit but that will be worked out, unlike the Sabres 

Edited by Sidc3000

2 hours ago, Sidc3000 said:

He has scored 5 goals (including a game winning shootout goal against the flyers) and  5 assist in 10 games. He is totally washed. 🙄🤦‍♂️

Dog Biting GIF by MOODMAN

I absolutely agree that Kane didn’t sign in Buffalo because of the massive dysfunction. He obviously sees that the team is spinning their wheels with basically the same type of players in the roster. 

the red wings are a much more rounded out team and it shows. Yeah they’re struggling a bit but that will be worked out, unlike the Sabres 

He is off to a good start. Better offensively than I thought.  Yet, while he has 10 points (5 goals) in 3 or so weeks there he has already been on the ice for 13 goals against, he's a minus player.   Not that +/- is a perfect stat, but it isn't as useless as some people think, when he is on the ice the other team is better than his team.

If he keeps scoring at his current rate and ends up with 30+ goals then it will probably be a good signing for Detroit. I just look at his all around game and think, that is the OPPOSITE of the type of player the Sabres need.

There are some that love Kane, that think of him as a hometown guy and probably WOULD go to more games if he were hear. Others feel the opposite. To me, one of the biggest problems if not THE biggest problem with this team is how the forwards play in their own end. They need 2-3 vets who know how to do that in order to actually do it AND to set an example for the younger guys (for whatever that is worth).  The absolute, definitive WORST player to add to this team now is a forward who is bad, or doesn't like playing in his own end.

Edited by mjd1001

On 12/22/2023 at 11:04 AM, Night Train said:

He was accused of rape at his Lakeview home in 2015 and it was in the papers here for months.

He's not exactly a hometown hero to some, right or wrong. It would have been brought up in the papers again, litttle doubt. 

Are you going to leave out details of how the situation was resolved?

• Thanks (+1) 3

On 12/25/2023 at 10:59 AM, mjd1001 said:

He is off to a good start. Better offensively than I thought.  Yet, while he has 10 points (5 goals) in 3 or so weeks there he has already been on the ice for 13 goals against, he's a minus player.   Not that +/- is a perfect stat, but it isn't as useless as some people think, when he is on the ice the other team is better than his team.

If he keeps scoring at his current rate and ends up with 30+ goals then it will probably be a good signing for Detroit. I just look at his all around game and think, that is the OPPOSITE of the type of player the Sabres need.

There are some that love Kane, that think of him as a hometown guy and probably WOULD go to more games if he were hear. Others feel the opposite. To me, one of the biggest problems if not THE biggest problem with this team is how the forwards play in their own end. They need 2-3 vets who know how to do that in order to actually do it AND to set an example for the younger guys (for whatever that is worth).  The absolute, definitive WORST player to add to this team now is a forward who is bad, or doesn't like playing in his own end.

I agree that he’s really not a player the Sabres need when it comes to defense.This leads me to believe that the disfunction is so bad that nobody worth a damn would ever sign will sign with them. That is why they went hard on the youth movement because there is no other option. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.