After The Whistle Goes OFF On The Entire Sabres Organization

sabremike

8 hours ago, Pimlach said:

The biggest knock is him coming back to play defense.  Offensive zone he is a finisher. 

And Skinner still is one of the feistier players we have, you take the bad with the good.   

What is interesting is that Peters said on his podcast that Boterill was not intending to want to re-sign Skinner after his 40 goal season, and it was Pegula that made the call.   

nhl GIF by SB Nation

Likely meaning he did not want to sign him to the huge contract Skinner was demanding rather than simply not wanting to re-sign him. That'd be my guess. 

There is just no sugar coating it.

The excitement of young Hungary players, gone.

The anticipation of the team building upon the supposed chemistry of late last season, gone.

The widely held goal of finally skating out of the forest and in to a playoff birth, gone.

The Buffalo Sabres do have skilled, talented, young hockey players throughout their organizational pipeline, from the juniors, Eruo and Russian leagues uo on through its AHL affiliate and even on its NHL roster.

They sorely lack veteran leadership in the locker room, players that can patrol the ice while the young develop a bit, a true #1 goalie and at least 2 top 4 D men that use the body effectively.

The coaching is most certainly subpar, these hirings of first time NHL GM and Coaching staffs are the key factor in this team's fortunes. Terrible, just straight out nightmarish results.

We all see what's lacking and point it out in some way or another, Management, Coaching, Player/Roster Configuration. So many have had enough of this.

So, when does it end? Sadly, I myself am now of the mindset, that it doesn't, at least, not for the next 2 seasons. I just don't see Pegula firing guys repeatedly he just handed out extensions to. He's done that for years now, but keeps making the same mistake of hiring inexperience.

For those pointing out it starts at the top, I completely agree. Therefore, I am moving in to the "Sell the team Terry" camp. If we lose them to relocation, then so be it, because it's useless to have a team here I won't go see anyways. I'm actually to that point now.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

10 hours ago, Quint said:

Pegula bought the Sabres for $189 million in 2011. Wonder how much the Sabres are worth now? 

$900M… 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/buffalo-sabres-value-soars-to-900-million-in-latest-report/article_ee24026e-7ef9-11ee-9bb0-9f11c541ea1b.html

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest question for me is WHY has Pegula repeatedly and consecutively handed out Sabres' head coaching and GM jobs to people with NO NHL EXPERIENCE being HC or GM? WHY? Is he trying to save money? Is he passively trying to wreck the team? Is it DEI? WHY??

My only conclusion is: The Sabres are an amateur-run organization. 

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Quint said:

The biggest question for me is WHY has Pegula repeatedly and consecutively handed out Sabres' head coaching and GM jobs to people with NO NHL EXPERIENCE? Is he trying to save money? Is it DEI? Is he trying to wreck the team? WHY??

At the LaFontain presser, to the question of how Terry thought having a president of hockey ops was going to work, he made his remark about how there would be no hockey emperors at the Sabres and how there's no monopoly on hockey IQ.

There's your answer. Flat management structure. Terry cannot be superceded. He has been and is the de factor DOHO. Hence Terry telling Darcy to redo his plan, the hiring of up and comer first timers, newbies and yes men who owe the owner.

Terry Murray saw it when few fans did.

Until this team is sold, we are screwed with our hockey pants on.

• Like (+1) 5

We've seen good individual players leave Buffalo recently,,,, (Reinhart, O'Reilly, Eichel, Ullmark, Rodrigues etc...) and excel at other places and help lead those teams to high point totals and playoff runs..  Even someone who was not liked here like Bogosian got major minutes on good playoff teams.

Bottom line, the common denominator is Terry Pegula.  This particular owner has created such a culture of losing from the top on down, that even good hockey people cannot get out from under it.  

I've been saying it for 2+ years now on Twitter and other social media.  Sell the team Terry.  You will still get a large return on your investment and won't have to deal with the arena upgrades.  SELL THE TEAM.   Even by accident, another owner would do better...like past owners here.

Edited by zow2
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, Quint said:

The biggest question for me is WHY has Pegula repeatedly and consecutively handed out Sabres' head coaching and GM jobs to people with NO NHL EXPERIENCE being HC or GM? WHY? Is he trying to save money? Is he passively trying to wreck the team? Is it DEI? WHY??

My only conclusion is: The Sabres are an amateur-run organization. 

He has done the exact same thing with the Bills, except for his one foray with Rex Ryan where he probably felt like he got swindled.  That was it.  Otherwise he's been completely addicted to rookie GMs and mostly addicted to rookie HCs.

Nice man, terrible executive.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Cascade Youth said:

He has done the exact same thing with the Bills, except for his one foray with Rex Ryan where he probably felt like he got swindled.  That was it.  Otherwise he's been completely addicted to rookie GMs and mostly addicted to rookie HCs.

Good point with the Bills. You could be onto something about Pegula feeling paranoid about being swindled and/or dominated by vet GMs and coaches, who insist on their own lineup, trade, FA and draft control. The sane ones refuse to collaborate with this egomaniacal, amateur meddler. I remember hearing that he ran begging the NHL to help him find suitable leadership for the team after multiple failures and in the past Kim's  presence only complicated the situation.

Edited by Quint
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Mango said:

Forbes says ~$600M. 

He probably just laughs and laughs about all of us, if he ever gets wind of it even at all. In seriousness, none of this actually matters because the 💲goes up up up. It’s beyond sports, it’s just how the world works

10 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

At the LaFontain presser, to the question of how Terry thought having a president of hockey ops was going to work, he made his remark about how there would be no hockey emperors at the Sabres and how there's no monopoly on hockey IQ.

There's your answer. Flat management structure. Terry cannot be superceded. He has been and is the de factor DOHO. Hence Terry telling Darcy to redo his plan, the hiring of up and comer first timers, newbies and yes men who owe the owner.

Terry Murray saw it when few fans did.

Until this team is sold, we are screwed with our hockey pants on.

Pat probably did too I guess

Seems like ages ago. It was such an Occam’s razor, clear sign in retrospect that he just bailed. People that don’t obsess over this stuff like we are destined to forever are just like “ok, I’m out” because they realize the absurdity of what we are doing here so quickly 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Clearly the team is massively dysfunctional and on an unprecedented level.  You can't even argue against much of what these guys are saying. I think we are in a permanent state of dysfunction and its not changing.  To fix this team, Terry needs to hand the keys to someone like Gallant and get out of the way.  

Edited by Gatorman0519
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.