GDT - Sabres @ Capitals - 11/22/2023 @ 6PM CT / 7PM ET - MSGB/ESPN+

#freejame

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I bet you my left nut that Adams was expecting more from Levi

I tend to agree.....but what went wrong with his thinking?  Sure Levi getting hurt was a factor, but this 3 goalie rotation cannot enable any of them to succeed.  

So what is my point?  Mike Bales....what has he done over the past several seasons to suggest he is a good goalie coach?  Personally, I think Levi was better coming out of college than he looks now having spent more time with Bales.  I'm pissed after this loss, but I really want to see somebody challenge if our coaching is again this team's Achilles heel.

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

I’m so looking forward to people not making excuses for this team. They played great in the first, ok in the second, and tried to protect a one goal lead in the third. 

If they don’t turn the corner very soon, kiss the playoffs good bye.

Haha! Okay. Since you're directing the sentiment at me I laugh at you. Again: haha! You're not reading the board carefully if you think I'm making excuses.

This wasn't a bad game by the Sabres overall. They easily could have won it but like the youth-culture at-large they don't respect the old fogies enough. A veteran team took advantage of a tired roster. 

2 minutes ago, eman said:

While arbitrary, again, only 3 teams have ever defied those odds. As this team has gone thus far, no way they will be the 4th team.

There were 3 teams that did it last year:  Florida, Minnesota and Edmonton.  

I have not looked it up beyond last year, but just saw a post elsewhere that there have been 30 teams that did it in the last 8 full NHL seasons. 

• Thanks (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I bet you my left nut that Adams was expecting more from Levi

Agree… He surely has seen enough of Levi now to be decisive and stop expecting Levi to learn on the job at the NHL level… But Adam’s is stubborn… 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Archie Lee said:

I have not looked it up beyond last year, but just saw a post elsewhere that there have been 30 teams that did it in the last 8 full NHL seasons. 

Apparently it's an "average". I just Googled it again and they give stats and at the very end they state "On average, roughly 3 teams that are outside the playoff picture by US Thanksgiving ed up qualifying". My mistake, not only "3 teams", but on average, only 3 teams per season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, ... said:

Haha! Okay. Since you're directing the sentiment at me I laugh at you. Again: haha! You're not reading the board carefully if you think I'm making excuses.

This wasn't a bad game by the Sabres overall. They easily could have won it but like the youth-culture at-large they don't respect the old fogies enough. A veteran team took advantage of a tired roster. 

A tired roster? They are the youngest team in the league who hadn’t played in two days. If one of the oldest team  could  have more stamina than the youngest team the Sabres need to fire the whole Training staff. 

Just now, eman said:

Apparently it's an "average". I just Googled it again and they give stats and at the very end they state "On average, roughly 3 teams that are outside the playoff picture by US Thanksgiving ed up qualifying". My mistake, not only "3 teams", but on average, only 3 teams per season.

Sports Net article from November 2021.

11 minutes ago, eman said:

Yup, just had Sports Net on here in Ontario and they just mentioned that stat again. Only 3 teams. Edmonton also being one of them.

So only 3 teams in the history of time out at thanksgiving made the playoffs? Still don’t believe it. The Sabres made it (yes, the Sabres actually once made the playoffs!) and they were out of it on Jan 1

TAROOO!

@Taro T

Edited by Thorny

8 minutes ago, ... said:

"Tired"?  Please elaborate.  They played 3 nights ago....Maybe Dahlin, Power and Muel are tired, but the rest should be pretty fresh.  

14 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

I tend to agree.....but what went wrong with his thinking?  Sure Levi getting hurt was a factor, but this 3 goalie rotation cannot enable any of them to succeed.  

So what is my point?  Mike Bales....what has he done over the past several seasons to suggest he is a good goalie coach?  Personally, I think Levi was better coming out of college than he looks now having spent more time with Bales.  I'm pissed after this loss, but I really want to see somebody challenge if our coaching is again this team's Achilles heel.

He was over ambitious in his belief that he was ready to be a bonafide 1. Lots of people were.

even I succumbed to the idea with the caveat we rostered him with a capable vet backup, in case. Which we of course didn’t do 

Thing is, Adams is the *GM*. He can’t be so thoroughly wrong especially betting everything on it. It’s his foooooourth yeeeeear

every farmer and their mom knew it was exceptionally risky to enter the season with the goalies we had. We wanted to believe, but hindsight need not apply. Adams is amendable to it and the results of it. It was a bonkers decision 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, eman said:

I thought it was .75% of teams in the playoffs at US Thanksgiving made the playoffs at year end.

13 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Mike Bales....what has he done over the past several seasons to suggest he is a good goalie coach?

UPL is much improved so far this season… All development.

11 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Right that’s more along the lines of what I was thinking. It’s hard to do, but it’s more along the lines mathematically of flipping a coin heads 3x in a row 

Around 1/8

Just now, Thorny said:

Right that’s more along the lines of what I was thinking. It’s hard to do, but it’s more along the lines mathematically of flipping a coin heads 3x in a row 

Around 1/8

This Sportsnet article from 2021 has some salary cap era stats that say 77% of teams in the playoffs at US Thanksgiving make it.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/why-nhl-standings-at-u-s-thanksgiving-have-huge-playoff-implications/

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eman said:

The average over the past 8 full seasons is 3.75, which is 23%.  Those still seem like long odds, but keep in mind that every year there are a number of teams that are pretty much considered locks to make the playoffs before the season starts.  The Sabres, if they are going to be in the race, are going to be in competition with Washington, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, NYI, Ottawa and Detroit for a WC spot.  Regardless, we will need to get on a run at some point.

• Like (+1) 1

The only D with snarl is Dahlin… and he is too valuable to be setting the physical tone each game… 

One or more of Samuelson, Jokiharju, and Power need to step up and set the tone early every game… and reset it every period.

I’m trying to be fair and realistic but tonight did it for me, I don’t think they have what it takes to make the jump yet. Still at least a year away. I hope I am wrong. I can’t see this team suddenly becoming consistent enough to leap ahead of the teams they are in contention with for a wc spot. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.