Peyton Krebs- Only 1 Assist?!?! Seriously!

JoeSchmoe

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Krebs has not been that bad.  He is producing almost no offense but also allows almost no shots or goals against.  He is treading water out there.

12 years into a playoff drought lol. For the love of god can we aim higher than slightly below average 

15 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Gretzky in his prime couldn’t score 100 points with those two.

Yes he could have 

Just like Hasek would still be really good here. Any time these guys are brought in for an extreme example it falls flat

10 minutes ago, inkman said:

Assuming by send him down, you just want him off the team as he’ll get claimed on waivers.  I’m not Krebs biggest fan but we all wanted to cast away Mitts and Tage.  How do we feel about that now?  It’s about finding the right niche.  I think he can be an adequate cost controlled bottom six player when not playing with two of the worst offensive players in the league.  I wouldn’t miss him if he’s gone but I also would not be surprised if he became a decent role player on the right team.  Hell, he was looking that way last season.  

They are exceptions that prove the rule not the other way around. For every Tage there are 10 who don’t randomly explode 

It’s not a good defence for keeping a player. In the end you have to evaluate and project each individually

too many “ifs” here. Subservient, supposedly, this season to actual results. 

what Krebs MIGHT become should be secondary this season to what he is actually providing. Can we ever prioritize the now? Like ever? 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Can you show me where I was shown this?

Bench him if you have to. Him and his 1 assist are making us lose.

The very next post after your first one in this thread.  The poster told you that in the form of a rhetorical question.  I mentioned this same thing last week in another post as well.   It is common knowledge.  Why else would he not be in Rochester?  

So we bench Krebs, now who is the 4C?   Don't say Girgs.  Don't say Biro.  Don't say Jost, he is the 3C for now.   Maybe Kulich gets a look at some point but do we really want him in Krebs role on the checking  line with KO and Girgs?   That answer is no.   Maybe Kulich can center the 3rd line when at some point and Jost takes the 4th.  

We need Adams to trade for a real NHL center that has a proven checking line pedigree, meaning strong defensively, relentless 20o foot game, can win draws, can help on the PK, and chips in a bit on offense.   We need that player right now.  

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

12 years into a playoff drought lol. For the love of god can we aim higher than slightly below average 

Lol, I didn’t say he has been good, fine, or even acceptable.  Just that he hasn’t been THAT bad, treading water.

By all means, replace him with someone better.  I’ll be happy.

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

According to Capfriendly Krebs is still waivers exempt.  If this is accurate, send him down, just like we did with Mitts and TNT.  Let him play top line minutes and see some success.  He isn't helping this team.  Jost can play the 4th C and bring up Kulich for the 3rd C role.

Kulich isn’t the improvement droid we are looking for but sure, try it 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The very next post after your first one in this thread.  The poster told you that in the form of a rhetorical question.  I mentioned this same thing last week in another post as well.   It is common knowledge.  Why else would he not be in Rochester?  

So we bench Krebs, now who is the 4C?   Don't say Girgs.  Don't say Biro.  Don't say Jost, he is the 3C for now.   Maybe Kulich gets a look at some point but do we really want him in Krebs role on the checking  line with KO and Girgs?   That answer is no.   Maybe Kulich can center the 3rd line when at some point and Jost takes the 4th.  

We need Adams to trade for a real NHL center that has a proven checking line pedigree, meaning strong defensively, relentless 20o foot game, can win draws, can help on the PK, and chips in a bit on offense.   We need that player right now.  

Psssst. Hate to break it to you, but if you even read this thread you'd see he was in fact waiver exempt. 

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Lol, I didn’t say he has been good, fine, or even acceptable.  Just that he hasn’t been THAT bad, treading water.

By all means, replace him with someone better.  I’ll be happy.

I know you didn’t. To me you described slightly below average that’s why I used that term haha 

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Not sure how to read this, but from Cap Friendly it looks like he might still be waivers exempt. 

Screenshot_20231121-162736.thumb.png.a1b7d360ec732b529218c50646474972.png

Interesting find.  

I looked it up and found this: 

a skater who signs his entry-level contract at 18 will become exempt after playing 160 NHL games, or after five seasons (whichever comes first). If an 18- or 19-year-old plays 11 NHL games in an NHL season, the waiver exemption is reduced to four years for goalies and four years for skaters.

He has played 152 games in 4 years.  His first season he might have been 20 (January birthday) and he played only 4 games for Vegas.  

Looks like he could be Rochester bound?  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting find.  

I looked it up and found this: 

a skater who signs his entry-level contract at 18 will become exempt after playing 160 NHL games, or after five seasons (whichever comes first). If an 18- or 19-year-old plays 11 NHL games in an NHL season, the waiver exemption is reduced to four years for goalies and four years for skaters.

He has played 152 games in 4 years.  His first season he might have been 20 (January birthday) and he played only 4 games for Vegas.  

Looks like he could be Rochester bound?  

He ain’t going to Rochester, people 

way, way too many beyond blue and gold vids of him firing up the locker room. He’s a core player under the Adams regime

no doubt there’s an internal evaluation of him that’s higher that we’d mark it and the only way Krebs isn’t on the roster is if someone eclipses that value in a deal, straight up 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Psssst. Hate to break it to you, but if you even read this thread you'd see he was in fact waiver exempt. 

I just checked your post and looked up his stats.  What I thought was 150 games is 160.   

I am glad you might be correct here ... now  how to interpret the 4 years?  

Could this be another reason to play 11-7?  Are they thinking of reducing his games?  

Edited by Pimlach

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

way, way too many beyond blue and gold vids of him firing up the locker room. He’s a core player under the Adams regime

no doubt there’s an internal evaluation of him that’s higher that we’d mark it and the only way Krebs isn’t on the roster is if someone eclipses that value in a deal, straight up 

Agree...plus thanks to GMKA, there are simply not enough forwards on the roster who have any NHL experience.  Granted calling Krebs "experienced" is a stretch, but compared to our prospects, he's a vet.  If GMKA had done his job, then it's a much easier decision by management to consider alternatives to Krebs.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Well, you may be right.  I am not real sure how to read the 4 years vs 5 years but he is under 160 games in 4 seasons.  

4 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Agree...plus thanks to GMKA, there are simply not enough forwards on the roster who have any NHL experience.  Granted calling Krebs "experienced" is a stretch, but compared to our prospects, he's a vet.  If GMKA had done his job, then it's a much easier decision by management to consider alternatives to Krebs.

Agree. I come into these discussions a lot with my initial instinct being “look his production is literally replacement level maybe we should replace him” but then when the discussion turns to who and we hear the endless parade of usual suspect rookies, because that’s the sole mode KA fitted the team with of supplementing the roster, it’s just like…why bother lol 

If we are just going to get even younger by replacing him, I’d rather have Krebs

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

way, way too many beyond blue and gold vids of him firing up the locker room.

Think it is this attribute that’s keeping Krebs around…

Every time the camera catches him in between plays on the ice or on the bench, he has a big ass joyful smile on his face…

It is infectious… and hard to find in any athlete… most of whom internalize their emotions.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well, you may be right.  I am not real sure how to read the 4 years vs 5 years but he is under 160 games in 4 seasons.  

So, trying to figure out what to do with the guy who hasn’t managed to lock down a consistent role. Seems about right 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Agree. I come into these discussions a lot with my initial instinct being “look his production is literally replacement level maybe we should replace him” but then when the discussion turns to who and we hear the endless parade of usual suspect rookies, because that’s the sole mode KA fitted the team with of supplementing the roster, it’s just like…why bother lol 

If we are just going to get even younger by replacing him, I’d rather have Krebs

Need to make another Greenway type deal.

Who else played for Granato at the US Development Program?  Only half joking.

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Not to open the can of worms, but if you gave me a button where I could send down Krebs for the season, and replace him with a flawed, aged out, FA vet from South Buffalo, I'm pressing the button.

push the button yes GIF by Heute-Show

Assuming he’s healthy and doesn’t fall into the same category as every player that has ever had his surgery, sure. 

Krebs numbers through this part of his career are close to Mitts and Thompson.   As others have said, Mitts and Thompson seemed loss through their first couple of seasons. I was one of the few on here that wanted to stick with Mitts and Thompson until you could not anymore..until every last person in the organization was convinced they were a bust.  I always say keep a guy a little too long versus not enough.

All that said, something about Krebs when I watched him from the moment he got here just didn't add up to a big time NHL guy (or even a good one). He loses a lot of loose puck battles. Despite his pre-draft scouting reports saying he 'skates well" or is "shifty" or "has NHL speed", I don't see that for sure. He is late getting back to back-check more than anyone on this team than probably Okposo at this point.

Give up on him? No, I'd want to give him at least 1 more season, but right now I am down on him more than I have been on Thompson or Mitts even at their lowest points.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Krebs numbers through this part of his career are close to Mitts and Thompson.   As others have said, Mitts and Thompson seemed loss through their first couple of seasons. I was one of the few on here that wanted to stick with Mitts and Thompson until you could not anymore..until every last person in the organization was convinced they were a bust.  I always say keep a guy a little too long versus not enough.

All that said, something about Krebs when I watched him from the moment he got here just didn't add up to a big time NHL guy (or even a good one). He loses a lot of loose puck battles. Despite his pre-draft scouting reports saying he 'skates well" or is "shifty" or "has NHL speed", I don't see that for sure. He is late getting back to back-check more than anyone on this team than probably Okposo at this point.

Give up on him? No, I'd want to give him at least 1 more season, but right now I am down on him more than I have been on Thompson or Mitts even at their lowest points.

I agree with this... Mitts and Thompson struggled but were never as useless as Krebs is right now. Both benefitted greatly though by going down to Rochester.

I was thinking about it some more... Has there every been a non-tough guy who started the season with as many minutes with as little to show for it as Krebs?

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I agree with this... Mitts and Thompson struggled but were never as useless as Krebs is right now. Both benefitted greatly though by going down to Rochester.

I was thinking about it some more... Has there every been a non-tough guy who started the season with as many minutes with as little to show for it as Krebs?

For significant stretches of their early career, Mitts and Thompson were as useless as anyone you could name.  You can cite the points if you like, but whatever production they had, they more than gave back on the defensive end.  They were both horrendous for stretches.

40 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Mittelstadt also had a significantly higher pedigree and Thompson has special god given physical gifts

Like being 6’6

• Agree 1

Also for the record, the Mittelstadt and Thompson panned out, so pay no attention to the multitude of guys who did not, screw it, im holding on to every single young player I have (sorry Josh Bloom) is probably exactly how KA is thinking 

Those guys proved the exception, now every single player is going to get that chance, regardless of our record in the interim 

Failing to win now is a much more tolerable offence than a player leaving here and going on to do good things someone else. Losing, that we can stomach 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.