GDT: Sabres @ Penguins - Nov 11, 2023 - 7:30pm, MSG/ESPN+📺WGR📻

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

LOL “brings it to the coaching”

St. Louis is a coaching experiment being that he’s a first timer walking in with no coaching experience. I am not envious of their bench.  

Also, no one who could speak French and was qualified wanted the job. 
I am not saying it can’t work out, but plucking a fiery former player is not a good coach hiring strategy.  

Also … (not talking about St. Louis) For some, yelling, screaming, calling out their own players in public, and throwing things = good coach.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Problem he has is his atrocious contract for a guy playing bot 6 min

Yeah, $4.9 M for three more years is a lot for a 32 year old. 
Depends on who goes the other way. Krebs, VO, Joki? Retention?
If he has gas left in the tank though, they could make it work. 

3 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

And my god, I hate garbage, perpetual, incessant tone policing from a guy who has no ***** clue how to analyze a hockey team and is constantly nagging at people who wind up objectively correct year after year. Seven years ago on this forum I was giving 75 point predictions for the season while people like you nagged me and complained how negative I was while predicting a playoff birth. You are always wrong. We are not the problem, we are right. Take my post and break it down and tell me what is wrong, because I promise I am 10x better than you at watching hockey. Can you create one post in your entire life that isn't whining about what fans post, poorly generalizing and completely missing their point, and cracking horrible jokes with stupid laugh emojis? Holy ***** I thought SDS was the worst poster here but congrats, it's you by a mile. 

You guys have history, huh?

We’re all just fans…

5 hours ago, Believer said:

Yep… but UPL didn’t lose the game for us…

1 fluke and 2 other goals against is not bad goaltending

Fluke? I rarely blame goalies but those first 2 goals were bush league garbage. Beer league goalies stop those. UPL is as inconsistent as f...

5 hours ago, eman said:

To me the biggest difference between Montreal's rebuild and Buffalo's is behind the bench: Coach Martin St. Louis. Passionate and not afraid to send a message to his players. The guy was a real competitor on the ice and he brings it to the coaching.

Maybe the coach brings the style but their roster is constructed differently than ours as is their style of play. Will it last all year? Unlikely, but we shall see. 

3 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

LOL “brings it to the coaching”

St. Louis is a coaching experiment being that he’s a first timer walking in with no coaching experience. I am not envious of their bench.  

Also, no one who could speak French and was qualified wanted the job. 
I am not saying it can’t work out, but plucking a fiery former player is not a good coach hiring strategy.  

How's the Sabres coaching hiring strategy going since Bylsma? LOL like it's anything better!

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

Also … (not talking about St. Louis) For some, yelling, screaming, calling out their own players in public, and throwing things = good coach.

All I'm saying is Mr. Nice Guy (DG) emotionless on the bench, isn't working out. I'm good with another change. Too much talent in that dressing room to see the same garbage show from last night repeatedly surfacing. Ralph, Phil, Dan and so far Donnie Meatballs haven't amounted to much with all the high draft picks the Sabres have had. I'm going with the Sportscentre stat that if the Sabres aren't in a playoff position by US Thanksgiving, they won't be at the end of this season. I'll take Gerard Gallant any day of the week over Donnie G.

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, eman said:

All I'm saying is Mr. Nice Guy (DG) emotionless on the bench, isn't working out. I'm good with another change. Too much talent in that dressing room to see the same garbage show from last night repeatedly surfacing. Ralph, Phil, Dan and so far Donnie Meatballs haven't amounted to much with all the high draft picks the Sabres have had. I'm going with the Sportscentre stat that if the Sabres aren't in a playoff position by US Thanksgiving, they won't be at the end of this season. I'll take Gerard Gallant any day of the week over Donnie G.

Different styles… but Bowman and Ruff were both tough on their players… and found ways to keep them motivated to play hard…

Adams and Granato haven’t cracked the code with this roster… 

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, eman said:

DG is definitely not emotionless on the bench. Good grief …

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

And my god, I hate garbage, perpetual, incessant tone policing from a guy who has no ***** clue how to analyze a hockey team and is constantly nagging at people who wind up objectively correct year after year. Seven years ago on this forum I was giving 75 point predictions for the season while people like you nagged me and complained how negative I was while predicting a playoff birth. You are always wrong. We are not the problem, we are right. Take my post and break it down and tell me what is wrong, because I promise I am 10x better than you at watching hockey. Can you create one post in your entire life that isn't whining about what fans post, poorly generalizing and completely missing their point, and cracking horrible jokes with stupid laugh emojis? Holy ***** I thought SDS was the worst poster here but congrats, it's you by a mile. 

ron burgundy GIF

59 minutes ago, eman said:

I've never seen it, I've even tried to Google and YouTube it- nothing. I used "Sabres coach Don Granato gets upset behind the bench". Nada.

I watched him lose his crap over a bad call last week. But hey, you do you. 

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Yeah, $4.9 M for three more years is a lot for a 32 year old. 
Depends on who goes the other way. Krebs, VO, Joki? Retention?
If he has gas left in the tank though, they could make it work. 

It would require some retention to make it tolerable.

He wouldn’t require strong assets but would he be worth the spot in the bottom 6 even after Quinn returns?

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

It would require some retention to make it tolerable.

He wouldn’t require strong assets but would he be worth the spot in the bottom 6 even after Quinn returns?

He’s signed for three more years, he can be a 4th liner down the road. Pretty expensive for that role though.

I still like the grinder, Cup winning angle.

33 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He’s signed for three more years, he can be a 4th liner down the road. Pretty expensive for that role though.

I still like the grinder, Cup winning angle.

Trade Olofsson for LaBanc

Trade a 3rd for Coleman with 900k retained

sign Kane 2x2.5mil

Waive Bryson, get Okposo to step away and either retire or IR

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Greenway-Mitts-Peterka

Coleman-Cozens-Kane

Girgensons-Krebs-LaBanc

R. Johnson - Dahlin

Power - Jokiharju

Muel - Clifton

Erik Johnson plays off and on to keep him fresh.

Jost, Comrie, and E Johnson would be the subs

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I also think it's a mistake to assume the Granato we see is the Granato the players see. 

There's an assumption that yelling and screaming make a difference.

I worked for a leader who used to nitpick everything and make bombastic statements, threaten my job. I never once listened to what he had to say. He was a moron and it showed. He tried to manage out of fear and I just tuned him out. After awhile I wanted him to fire me.  Eventually I forced his hand.

I also worked for a leader who managed thoughtfully. He didn't berate or insult or threaten.  He put me in my place once and I didn't even realize it happened until 5 minutes after he walked out of the room.  I was standing there and hit it me.. hard.

Bottom line, just because Granato doesn't fiery words or demonstrate the hard ass demeanor... does not mean he can't make an impact.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.