GDT: Sabres @ Maple Leafs: November4, 2023 @ 7:00PM, NHL Network, MSG-B, and NBCS-PH

SABRES 0311

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

So we have a better chance.  

The team is very tight at home.  Don’t understand it but they like the crowd against them more than for them.  Never seen home play this much worse than road play for this many years.  Probably a sign of a losing team. 

Pretty big tangent here, but a massive (and unexpected, because you don’t really think about stuff like this in advance) part of being a sports fan as you get older, that I am honestly just starting to truly reckon with over the last few years, is transitioning, as a fan, from looking up to the players as adults, then peers in an age sense, until finally..starting to see them as kids. It’s wild. I can only imagine it’s enhanced by following such a particularly young team. Candidly, I’d even say it’s something I struggle with. Sometimes to me, and it makes me feel so old, they just come across as children to me. The crafted social media skits and videos enhance this. The dominant voices of twitter (found on this content) enhance this to me (meme twitter? “Stan” twitter?. I don’t know). Not saying that stuff bothers me at all, it just highlights my perception of an age difference not just with the team, but the online fanbase. Thankfully this place is bursting at the seams with old farts. I can be Gandalf to the Treebeards. 

But rounding this post back on track (sorry I’m just spitballing randomly as I go along here I didn’t plan this out), I think my disconnect with the players themselves might be something that feeds into your point: they *do* seem like a team of kids sometimes, in instances such as the one you highlight, the guys being seemingly playing worried and scared at home. With such inexperience, it’s not hard to understand why. Of course, it’s a young league for everyone, but is it wild to suggest we are just..particularly young? The numbers back it up. I’m not a fan of being too much of an outlier, like on any end.

we talk a lot about how good of a coach Granato is for young players, the other side of the coin is that slightly older players are often good for a coach 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

When I listened to KO’s post game interview last night…  thought his tone was discouraged… even somewhat resigned… As if he’d seen this act before… A tone I didn’t expect from a Captain after that performance… Yet he said the words you’d expect to hear from him… Merciful… Would like to have heard some anger at the effort of his team…

Same goes for Granato… would like to have heard some public anger at the effort… instead of disappointment … so the team could hear it and read about it the next day in the BN and hear it discussed on hockey podcasts

Team needs a serious ComeToJesus meeting… 

But my guess is… they’ve already had one… 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Pretty big tangent here, but a massive (and unexpected, because you don’t really think about stuff like this in advance) part of being a sports fan as you get older, that I am honestly just starting to truly reckon with over the last few years, is transitioning, as a fan, from looking up to the players as adults, then peers in an age sense, until finally..starting to see them as kids. It’s wild. I can only imagine it’s enhanced by following such a particularly young team. Candidly, I’d even say it’s something I struggle with. Sometimes to me, and it makes me feel so old, they just come across as children to me. The crafted social media skits and videos enhance this. The dominant voices of twitter (found on this content) enhance this to me (meme twitter? “Stan” twitter?. I don’t know). Not saying that stuff bothers me at all, it just highlights my perception of an age difference not just with the team, but the online fanbase. Thankfully this place is bursting at the seams with old farts. I can be Gandalf to the Treebeards. 

But rounding this post back on track (sorry I’m just spitballing randomly as I go along here I didn’t plan this out), I think my disconnect with the players themselves might be something that feeds into your point: they *do* seem like a team of kids sometimes, in instances such as the one you highlight, the guys being seemingly playing worried and scared at home. With such inexperience, it’s not hard to understand why. Of course, it’s a young league for everyone, but is it wild to suggest we are just..particularly young? The numbers back it up. I’m not a fan of being too much of an outlier, like on any end.

Well, considering that now with Anderson retired, you ARE older than every single player on the team, can understand how that's just now sinking in for you.  😉

Belated welcome to the club.  😛

The next big "milestone" in that regard is your kids no longer being draft eligible.  😲

• Sad 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The '86 Habs were built primarily through the kids all coming up at the same time too.  There were players on that team that had come via trade, but the ones that pushed them all over the top had been in the AHL the prior year.

And, the point of both of these is, the claim was "nobody" had ever done it.  Not saying that it's a common occurance; merely that it can and has happened.  And, with all the high end talent that had been accumulated over the prior 6 years, that got converted into current assets and futures, this team has an unusually large influx of higher end talent that is all pretty much at the same age.  IF it is possible to "draft your way to the top" so to speak, this is the scenario where it would be possible.

And you and I are on the same page on that issue.  If they miss the playoffs this year (they won't, but if they do), change needs to happen.

If they miss this year? Ya maybe a coaching change on the docket 

Just now, Taro T said:

Well, considering that now with Anderson retired, you ARE older than every single player on the team, can understand how that's just now sinking in for you.  😉

Belated welcome to the club.  😛

The next big "milestone" in that regard is your kids no longer being draft eligible.  😲

I was older than every member of the Blue Jays this year, too. Even Brandon Belt.

I had a look at John Schneider’s age and even there I was like…tick tock 

haha

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Doubt it is.  But it should definitely be considered if not actually enacted.

Should they miss the playoffs, expect it'll be an assistant or 2 that take the fall with Granato on a very short leash and Adams suddenly not in position to have a job for life with this or-gan-i-zay-shun.

(Still say at a minimum they should've brought somebody else in to run the PP this past off-season.  Hoping the reason it wasn't done isn't because that would move up the timeline on the rest of these possibilities.)

24 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I was older than every member of the Blue Jays this year, too. Even Brandon Belt.

I had a look at John Schneider’s age and even there I was like…tick tock 

haha

@Thorny, wait until you are 2x the young in's ages, you ain't seen nuthin' yet....

Edited by Spoonman

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly if we have to use the greatest team of all time as the example the argument is a pyrrhic victory

it’s not worth striving to emulate 

Ok. What about Tampa Bay? Sure, they may have added (no team exists that is solely drafted players - not even the Sabres), but wasn’t their core mostly drafted?

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, Thorny said:

we talk a lot about how good of a coach Granato is for young players, the other side of the coin is that slightly older players are often good for a coach 

Yeah, I'm 19 and I see half of these guys as basically friends of mine that also play hockey lol, look the same age, plus the videos/media as you mentioned and personality

Edited by lowsabre
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

As much as I love beating Trono, I made plans to take my wife out for dinner.  

Dinner reservation is at face-off time.  I will not check the score either.  

I’ll catch the last period, maybe.  

Come back Sabres. Loosen you grip on the stick and play faster - both ways.  Substitute taking the body on occasion instead of waving a stick all the time. Take every opportunity to score instead of looking for a perfect play.  Play for each other and sacrifice.  

MUSCLE WEIGHT 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, lowsabre said:

Yeah, I'm 19 and I see half of these guys as basically friends of mine that also play hockey lol, look the same age, plus the videos/media as you mentioned and personality

That’s awesome.

That’s me during the ‘06 run. 

Which for you would be like olden days! 

20 minutes ago, lowsabre said:

Hey now, imagine more less doubling your age and not seeing a single playoff series win between now and then.

that’s me! 

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, Believer said:

When I listened to KO’s post game interview last night…  thought his tone was discouraged… even somewhat resigned… As if he’d seen this act before… A tone I didn’t expect from a Captain after that performance… Yet he said the words you’d expect to hear from him… Merciful… Would like to have heard some anger at the effort of his team…

Same goes for Granato… would like to have heard some public anger at the effort… instead of disappointment … so the team could hear it and read about it the next day in the BN and hear it discussed on hockey podcasts

Team needs a serious ComeToJesus meeting… 

But my guess is… they’ve already had one… 

I honestly don't think I've heard an "angry" post game from the Sabres in over a decade aside from Eichel bitching and that one time Reinhart said something about the goaltending. Almost never, perhaps never, hear "we have to be better". It's always something along the lines of "disappointing". Resignation from a captain is just plain wrong. 

People will hate this but the other day I heard this from Marchand post game after a win - stress this, after a WIN - (paraphrasing from memory but approximately) "we have to be better than we were tonight. This team is still very much a work in progress and we have a lot of work to do to get to where we want to be" That after 9 wins to start the season. 

That is all. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

That’s awesome.

That’s me during the ‘06 run. 

Which for you would be like olden days! 

Hey now, imagine more less doubling your age and not seeing a single playoff series win between now and then.

that’s me! 

Last one was against flyers , feels like 10 lifetimes ago 😞

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.