Around the NHL 2023-24 Season

Brawndo

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Not making moves because of fear will only lead to being laughed at longer.

There’s a difference between subtle and overt responses. I’d like to avoid another Eichel or ROR trade in magnitude where we are just praying a piece takes it off the most one sided deals articles that are prevalent in the off-season or anytime the player is mentioned. 

11 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

There’s a difference between subtle and overt responses. I’d like to avoid another Eichel or ROR trade in magnitude where we are just praying a piece takes it off the most one sided deals articles that are prevalent in the off-season or anytime the player is mentioned. 

It’s a good thing we don’t have another Eichel to worry about trading for too little.

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

Dahlin is a step below.  The rest? Lolol

Dahlin would likely be a Top 3 D in the league on a better roster, like he literally looked like last year. 

I get it, you pretty much hate everyone and that’s your opinion. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Dahlin would likely be a Top 3 D in the league on a better roster, like he literally looked like last year. 

I get it, you pretty much hate everyone and that’s your opinion. 

I don’t hate any of them, not even popular punching bag Bryson, but none of them are off limits for the player that makes us better.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

If Lindholm doesn't go back to being a solid defensive center like he had been prior to this season; its not a good trade for Vancouver barring a long playoff run seeing as they won't be able to sign him regardless. Trading all that for about 30 games of a player and then "losing in the 1st round" isn't what I would deem an effective trade at the end of the day. If he helps them win a Cup no cost is too great. Anything in-between is up for debate.

As for Kuzmenko, he was a bad fit with Tocchet's style and thus expendable. That being said, if he scores 50 next season and after a disappointing playoff exit, Vancouver outright loses Lindholm; I highly doubt Vancouver's fans will be like, " Well we got to play 6 games in the playoffs so I'm overjoyed....." 

This is also how you also turn into a long term farm team if your trades seem to always benefit the opposing team. I, and likely Adams, don't want yet another traded player to go have a career year and win the Cup for some other team while we wade in the kiddie pool regardless. You don't necessarily have to achieve total victory in a trade; barring it being a in-division trade. All you need mutual rising of ships or ideally a bit more on your side; but you can't just go around losing trades for the sake of a change.

Nothing personal, but this is loser logic. You've been in a Sabres bubble too long. 

I'll contrast what you are saying with how Bruins fans talk about deadline deals. The argument you make would be they've lost a lot of deadline deals. They have a weak prospect pool. GM must be an idiot right? But there they sit year after year in first place. Even though they went out in the first round last year nobody talks about how they shouldn't have gone all in with Bertuzzi and Orlov. Sometimes the deals fail. Sometimes they succeed like when they got so much out of Johanson they made it to the final and that run convinced our GM that Johanson was worth signing the next year. But it's all in and it's playoffs every year and the fans love it and the culture thrives and people want to be there and Sabres fans just hate the Bruins year after year and watch from the outside as they "win trades". 

Did we "win" the Vegas trade? Did we? Bet there's no Vegas fan that thinks that or cares about any of those picks/prospects they gave up. 

Vancouver is showing they care. They want to win. It matters. Nobody in Vancouver thinks the owner sucks. 

• Like (+1) 5

5 hours ago, French Collection said:

It didn’t sound like Calgary was going to be able to re-sign Lindholm. They got a good haul for him, he’s past his prime.

Vancouver is in the playoffs already but Lindholm could be a piece that allows them to go deeper. Can’t fault them for getting the jump on the other teams for an impact player. Lindholm is past his prime now so he may not be worth a long term deal.

If he has a good playoff run I'm sure Vancouver will make him a solid offer but I suspect he still goes to free agency regardless. Bruins, among others, will likely be interested in free agency. He will drop down the line up as he ages but he is versatile and a 2 way player so I think he will still be in demand. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nothing personal, but this is loser logic. You've been in a Sabres bubble too long. 

I'll contrast what you are saying with how Bruins fans talk about deadline deals. The argument you make would be they've lost a lot of deadline deals. They have a weak prospect pool. GM must be an idiot right? But there they sit year after year in first place. Even though they went out in the first round last year nobody talks about how they shouldn't have gone all in with Bertuzzi and Orlov. Sometimes the deals fail. Sometimes they succeed like when they got so much out of Johanson they made it to the final and that run convinced our GM that Johanson was worth signing the next year. But it's all in and it's playoffs every year and the fans love it and the culture thrives and people want to be there and Sabres fans just hate the Bruins year after year and watch from the outside as they "win trades". 

Did we "win" the Vegas trade? Did we? Bet there's no Vegas fan that thinks that or cares about any of those picks/prospects they gave up. 

Vancouver is showing they care. They want to win. It matters. Nobody in Vancouver thinks the owner sucks. 

Frankly the Bruins are a freak of nature; there have practically nothing in their prospect pool or the like and yet they somehow keep trucking along against all odds. 3 years in a row they should of died yet haven't for a myriad of reasons but one being some luck and somehow getting two goalies to play out of their mind simultaneously. 

As for Bruins fans not regretting trades from last year; why would they? They had the best record in NHL history and trying to stack the deck for a Cup win is very logical. They blew it in Round 1 which made it all the sweeter for us but the idea was sound and executed with the proper finesse. But few teams are ever in such a dramatic state of throwing caution to the wind. Those times tend to align with a great regular season with a nigh assured playoff berth or a team with a very elderly core that you're trying to sneak through to the Finals. A team with a shot at the playoffs but no where near assured is going to take a more measured approach because falling short after trading for rentals is a complete waste of assets as well as an easy job losing circumstance. 

You can't go all-in for perpetuity; eventually the house of cards you have arranged will fall and will fall very very hard. Chicago as well as the LA Kings are solid examples of this but in different directions. Chicago drew out their competitive opportunity long enough to literally cause a collapse. LAK retooled on the fly and  while having some lean years was able to find their way back to playoff hockey. 

All of this just sums up to; I'm not throwing all my assets at a couple targets with the hope we make the playoffs and that's all.

Edited by thewookie1

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Frankly the Bruins are a freak of nature; there have practically nothing in their prospect pool or the like and yet they somehow keep trucking along against all odds. 3 years in a row they should of died yet haven't for a myriad of reasons but one being some luck and somehow getting two goalies to play out of their mind simultaneously. 

As for Bruins fans not regretting trades from last year; why would they? They had the best record in NHL history and trying to stack the deck for a Cup win is very logical. They blew it in Round 1 which made it all the sweeter for us but the idea was sound and executed with the proper finesse. But few teams are ever in such a dramatic state of throwing caution to the wind. Those times tend to align with a great regular season with a nigh assured playoff berth or a team with a very elderly core that you're trying to sneak through to the Finals. A team with a shot at the playoffs but no where near assured is going to take a more measured approach because falling short after trading for rentals is a complete waste of assets as well as an easy job losing circumstance. 

You can't go all-in for perpetuity; eventually the house of cards you have arranged will fall and will fall very very hard. Chicago as well as the LA Kings are solid examples of this but in different directions. Chicago drew out their competitive opportunity long enough to literally cause a collapse. LAK retooled on the fly and  while having some lean years was able to find their way back to playoff hockey. 

All of this just sums up to; I'm not throwing all my assets at a couple targets with the hope we make the playoffs and that's all.

Bringing up L.A. goes against your argument. They've brought in players to go with their young talent and, although they are in some sort of coach killing funk at the moment, their overall rebuild has progressed much faster than the Sabres and their picks and prospects develop our own model has. 

You can believe the Bruins are some sort of "freak of nature" but they aren't. It's called good asset management, strong team culture, and proper roster construction. You can think of them as some old team ready to fall but they aren't that either. They're about the same age as the Leafs, Tampa and Florida, and hello, those are your division playoff teams. Not only that, they actually have MORE projected cap space for next year than the Sabres. Once again, not freaky, just good management. 

Could they make poor signings, blow that cap space and take a fall next year? Sure, anybody can, but I wouldn't put money on it if I were you. Their situation is actually pretty solid and although they have few prospects in the system they do have a few that will fill holes as they have done a better job on role players and specific needs. If you have one center hole on your roster you do not need 5 center prospects, you just need one that's good enough.

You don't have to limit this to freaky Boston. Florida made moves. Tampa made moves. There's lots of examples of teams in it to win it. Vancouver now joins that group, and where were they a year or two ago? You really think the Sabres way is better??????????????????????

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Bringing up L.A. goes against your argument. They've brought in players to go with their young talent and, although they are in some sort of coach killing funk at the moment, their overall rebuild has progressed much faster than the Sabres and their picks and prospects develop our own model has. 

You can believe the Bruins are some sort of "freak of nature" but they aren't. It's called good asset management, strong team culture, and proper roster construction. You can think of them as some old team ready to fall but they aren't that either. They're about the same age as the Leafs, Tampa and Florida, and hello, those are your division playoff teams. Not only that, they actually have MORE projected cap space for next year than the Sabres. Once again, not freaky, just good management. 

Could they make poor signings, blow that cap space and take a fall next year? Sure, anybody can, but I wouldn't put money on it if I were you. Their situation is actually pretty solid and although they have few prospects in the system they do have a few that will fill holes as they have done a better job on role players and specific needs. If you have one center hole on your roster you do not need 5 center prospects, you just need one that's good enough.

You don't have to limit this to freaky Boston. Florida made moves. Tampa made moves. There's lots of examples of teams in it to win it. Vancouver now joins that group, and where were they a year or two ago? You really think the Sabres way is better??????????????????????

Never said the Sabres were better, only under different circumstances.

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I agree with everything you say except the last sentence. 😀

I believe the Kings have lost 11 of their past 14, something like that. But had just won their last game the other night. Sitting in a playoff spot at the moment but still make the move. It’s always amazing how other franchises are at a completely different level of expectation than Buffalo. Losing isn’t accepted in alot of places. It’s so common, plentiful and accepted by the Sabres. 

• Agree 1