My observations

envirojeff

Just a few thoughts about this series:

1.) no one thought that Buffalo would walk out of Ottawa with a 2-0 lead. I thought (at best) split and then bring it back home.

2.) Why were the Sen's fans taunting Miller thought game 2??? I can see game 1, but it made no since??? I?m sure that there will be some bayback in Buffalo on Wendsday!

3.) I loved watching the "Hockey Night in Canada" (CBC) broadcast last night! It's been soooo long and brought back great memories. Don Cherry has to be the funniest and most pompous guy on the planet! What a hoot. I loved the way he undressed Alfredsson.

4.) It looked like, to me, that Timmy got caught with an elbow. Bad no call on that play!

Let's go BUF-FA-LO

Jeff

Just a few thoughts about this series:

2.) Why were the Sen's fans taunting Miller thought game 2??? I can see game 1, but it made no since??? I?m sure that there will be some bayback in Buffalo on Wendsday!

It didn't make much sense in Game 1 either. I thought Canadians were "smart" hockey fans but when your Goalie's save % is roughly half (exaggeration) of the opposing teams Goalie, STFU!

4.) It looked like, to me, that Timmy got caught with an elbow. Bad no call on that play!

Let's go BUF-FA-LO

Where, exactly, is Scheafer supposed to put his elbows on that play? Can he make them disappear?

I'm not ripping on you or anything. I just can't understand what some Buffalo fans think could have happened on that play. Timmy was goiing 100 miles an hour and got hit. Both braced for the hit, unfortunately Timmy did it by ducking.

I'm pretty sure that Scheafer wasn't expecting the kind of hit that happened. And if that's the case, it is pretty hard to find intent on that play.

Where, exactly, is Scheafer supposed to put his elbows on that play? Can he make them disappear?

I'm not ripping on you or anything. I just can't understand what some Buffalo fans think could have happened on that play. Timmy was goiing 100 miles an hour and got hit. Both braced for the hit, unfortunately Timmy did it by ducking.

I'm pretty sure that Scheafer wasn't expecting the kind of hit that happened. And if that's the case, it is pretty hard to find intent on that play.

I agree. There was definately elbow, but it really didn't look intentional. If Connolly would have kept his head up and then got hit with the elbow, the ref's would have called it a penalty. I think the ref's give the checker a little leaway when players skate into the middle with there head down.

Maybe not the type of hit, but he was looking for the hit from a mile away. He came from across the ice (dare I say like Tucker on Hecht) after a big hit by the Sabres and hunted down the puck carrier.

Maybe not the type of hit, but he was looking for the hit from a mile away. He came from across the ice (dare I say like Tucker on Hecht) after a big hit by the Sabres and hunted down the puck carrier.

Nothing wrong with that. We LIKE hits, remember? We're hockey fans! :D

the difference between the two hits though was Tucker had his arms up, whereas Shaefer had his arms down. It was just a good, clean hit and unfortunately Tim was not ready for it. Let's just hope that the concussions don't come back.

We can not eliminate hitting like this or the game will lose all interest. I think the playoffs have been absolutely fantastic. Teams realize that they can not use the stick...and the best part is that it seems like for the most part they are not, thus not forcing the officials to HAVE to make the call.

I thought the hit was clean. Bottom line is that Timmy was skating head down & leaning forward, and then he turned into the middle -- which Roby and every other hockey sage says is an absolute no-no. Now we know why. When the 2 collided, Timmy's head was sticking out and very vulnerable.

If we're lucky (and "we" here includes Ottawa and all NHL fans, b/c Timmy is a joy to watch), there was no concussion and Timmy will return having learned a valuable lesson about turning into the middle.

I thought the hit was clean. Bottom line is that Timmy was skating head down & leaning forward, and then he turned into the middle -- which Roby and every other hockey sage says is an absolute no-no. Now we know why. When the 2 collided, Timmy's head was sticking out and very vulnerable.

If we're lucky (and "we" here includes Ottawa and all NHL fans, b/c Timmy is a joy to watch), there was no concussion and Timmy will return having learned a valuable lesson about turning into the middle.

I was always under the assumption that anytime someone got knocked unconscience from a blow to the head, that they had sustained a concussion. This may or may not be true, but if it is not true, it may matter WHERE Timmy took the blow.

It seemed to me from replays that Timmy got nailed in the jaw. Anyone that watches boxing knows that a pop square on the jaw can put someone out, but might it not also be a spot where someone can get knocked silly without sustaining a concussion?

To return to the boxing analogy, I've been told that what makes a pop to the jaw so effective is that it temporarily short circuits communcation between the brain and the body. A concussion is a bruise to the brain. Looking at it from this perspective, I could see how Timmy could be ok to go Wednesday.

EDIT: Looks like I should have read the other thread on Timmy before posting this.

You could be right, I looked like his sholder was lowered to hit him in the head. If you take the play at full speed, maybe he was just bracing??? And your right - heads down is death. I stand corrected.

Jeff

Lowering your shoulder!!! How terrible!!!!.... Thats generally how you are expected to hit people.

Sens fans were likely taunting Miller in hopes that it would get him off his game. Canadians are "smart" hockey fans. The fans were simply looking to see if they could get Miller off his game. (to no avail)

In all my years of watching hockey, I never understood that chant. Does anyone actually think it bothers a goalie? And if it does, that goalie shouldn't be in the NHL.

I think the best thing about this series so far (for Buffalo), is that we took two games from the Senators on the road and we still haven't played anywhere near our best hockey yet in this series.

Lowering your shoulder!!! How terrible!!!!.... Thats generally how you are expected to hit people.

Sens fans were likely taunting Miller in hopes that it would get him off his game. Canadians are "smart" hockey fans. The fans were simply looking to see if they could get Miller off his game. (to no avail)

First off - I never questioned the intellect of my fellow (I'm .25% Canadian) Canadians.

Second off - I was surprised that the taunting thing resurfaced in game 2, because it worked SO WELL in game 1

Third off - I was talking about lowering the shoulder to hit someone in the head, not to finish a check...I do know the difference.

Jeff

Agreed. The hit was clean. Schaefer can't be held responsible for Timmy kind of trying to duck away from the hit when he realized how vulnerable he was and when he realized he had absolutely no way to brace for the hit. Yeah, Schaeffer caught him with an elbow, but he was TRYING to put a shoulder into the puck carrier. (Which is basically what Soupy did to make Cream of Umberger.)

In all my years of watching hockey, I never understood that chant. Does anyone actually think it bothers a goalie? And if it does, that goalie shouldn't be in the NHL.

I agree. It always seemed silly to me.

I think the best thing about this series so far (for Buffalo), is that we took two games from the Senators on the road and we still haven't played anywhere near our best hockey yet in this series.

We've played two solid road games, but this team steps it up another notch at home.

95% of the time, I'm sure it doesn't bother the goalie, especially when the goalie has been playing well (see Habs - Rangers '86 or last night's game for prime examples).

It probably does help about 5% of the time, but in those handful of times it does work, the goalie was probably well on the way to being pulled any way. (Heeexxxxx-Taaaalllll, Heeexxxxxx-Taaaalllll.)

I don't expect it to make a bit of difference to Emery, but I do expect it to give the Sabres a bit of a boost when they hear the rink chanting EEEEMMMMMM-EEEEERRRRRRR-YYYYYYYY, EEEEEMMMMMMM-EEEEERRRRR-YYYY. (Notice, in Buffalo the chant most likely will begin SHORTLY after a Sabres goal and not at some random point 10 minutes later.) And the crowd will love chanting it. I know I will join in on Thursday, heck I may even start in watching on the tube on Wednesday.

HEEEEXXXXXTAAALLLLLL! HEEEEXXXXXTAAALLLLLL!

I think that one worked. :lol:

95% of the time, I'm sure it doesn't bother the goalie, especially when the goalie has been playing well (see Habs - Rangers '86 or last night's game for prime examples).

It probably does help about 5% of the time, but in those handful of times it does work, the goalie was probably well on the way to being pulled any way. (Heeexxxxx-Taaaalllll, Heeexxxxxx-Taaaalllll.)

I don't expect it to make a bit of difference to Emery, but I do expect it to give the Sabres a bit of a boost when they hear the rink chanting EEEEMMMMMM-EEEEERRRRRRR-YYYYYYYY, EEEEEMMMMMMM-EEEEERRRRR-YYYY. (Notice, in Buffalo the chant most likely will begin SHORTLY after a Sabres goal and not at some random point 10 minutes later.) And the crowd will love chanting it. I know I will join in on Thursday, heck I may even start in watching on the tube on Wednesday.

I doubt that most fans do it to try to get in the goalie's head. It's a crowd mentality, one person does it, so others have to follow. It adds to the atmosphere in the arena and that is the main reason for the taunts. In the rare case that it actually does mess with a player's head, well that's an added bonus.

I was waiting for the Hextall chants in game 3 after Esche tried to fight. I think that would have been really funny.

I have an friend who's a Flyers fan (but he's a good guy). After that incident (and the 5 GA in the first period) I started calling Esche - Esche-manek. My friend said that was below the belt. :lol:

I have an friend who's a Flyers fan (but he's a good guy). After that incident (and the 5 GA in the first period) I started calling Esche - Esche-manek. My friend said that was below the belt. :lol:

It is below the belt. It must really bother Cechmanek.

Archived