GDT: Sabres @ Pens- September 28, 2023 - 7:00PM, Sabres.com📺WGR📻

SabresBaltimore

9 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

This makes absolutely ZERO sense to me. If Johnson is the best option to be on the PP for the Amerks, then put him out there. 

It makes a lot of sense to start off Johnson in Rochester. If he made the big club roster, he would be a lower pairing player who got a limited number of minutes. In Rochester, he would get a heavy workload. Which would benefit his development more? Definitely, Rochester. He's in a much different situation than Benson and Savoie (if healthy) are in. The choice for those two players is juniors or the Sabre roster. 

Even if he gets a call-up this season, as many of us believe will happen, would the heavy workload stint in Rochester enhance his game in Buffalo? I would say yes. Rochester has a good coach and player development process. Starting off in Rochester will not make him a lesser player, it will make him a better player. 

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

It makes a lot of sense to start off Johnson in Rochester. If he made the big club roster, he would be a lower pairing player who got a limited number of minutes. In Rochester, he would get a heavy workload. Which would benefit his development more? Definitely, Rochester. He's in a much different situation than Benson and Savoie (if healthy) are in. The choice for those two players is juniors or the Sabre roster. 

Even if he gets a call-up this season, as many of us believe will happen, would the heavy workload stint in Rochester enhance his game in Buffalo? I would say yes. Rochester has a good coach and player development process. Starting off in Rochester will not make him a lesser player, it will make him a better player. 

Except he wouldn't be a lower pairing player in Buffalo out of the gate.  He'd be the 7.  They aren't going to sit E. Johnson for a rookie right out of the gate and Granato loves him some Jokiharju.  Henri isn't sitting out of the gate either.

It's way better for him to be the 1 in Ra-cha-cha than the 7 in Buffalo.

When he's at the point that they'll make him the 6, he's better off in the NHL.  He isn't going to get the Bryson 8 minutes a game when there are 5 real D-men to play instead of Jacob.  He'll be getting at least 12 maybe 15 minutes per game as the 5/6.

When the Sabres have 6 legit D through the lineup we'll likely see Dahlin dropping to 23 or so minutes on nights that they aren't in danger of blowing 2 points.  Yeah, when the game's in doubt, he'll still get 24+ (and maybe 27-28) but it isn't going to be an everyday thing because that was an everyday thing with there being no faith in the 3rd pairing on many nights due to the injury bug they dealt with.  Same logic for Power as well.  When Granato needs those guys they'll be on the ice, but they shouldn't be needed to be relied on heavily every night anymore.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

What does this have to do with Johnson getting PP time with the Amerks? 🤔

25 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

What does this have to do with Johnson getting PP time with the Amerks? 🤔

Your question is perplexing? According to coach Appert he won't be getting much PP time because when he is brought up the Sabres already have enough players to fill the PP units. What he would be getting in Rochester is a lot of playing time that will better prepare him for the next level. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Except he wouldn't be a lower pairing player in Buffalo out of the gate.  He'd be the 7.  They aren't going to sit E. Johnson for a rookie right out of the gate and Granato loves him some Jokiharju.  Henri isn't sitting out of the gate either.

It's way better for him to be the 1 in Ra-cha-cha than the 7 in Buffalo.

When he's at the point that they'll make him the 6, he's better off in the NHL.  He isn't going to get the Bryson 8 minutes a game when there are 5 real D-men to play instead of Jacob.  He'll be getting at least 12 maybe 15 minutes per game as the 5/6.

When the Sabres have 6 legit D through the lineup we'll likely see Dahlin dropping to 23 or so minutes on nights that they aren't in danger of blowing 2 points.  Yeah, when the game's in doubt, he'll still get 24+ (and maybe 27-28) but it isn't going to be an everyday thing because that was an everyday thing with there being no faith in the 3rd pairing on many nights due to the injury bug they dealt with.  Same logic for Power as well.  When Granato needs those guys they'll be on the ice, but they shouldn't be needed to be relied on heavily every night anymore.

The highlighted segment is exactly what I said in my post. 

Why give him PP time when you can just take the same minutes and give him more 5 on 5 time? It’s better for his development to get 25 minutes a night of 5 on 5 than it is for him to get 20 minutes 5 on 5 and 5 minutes of PP time if he isn’t going to be quarterbacking the PP any time soon in Buffalo.

Over a 72 game season that five minutes a night adds another 18 games worth of the 20 minutes of 5 on 5 time. 

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

The highlighted segment is exactly what I said in my post. 

With all due respect, no, you said being in Ra-cha-cha would be better than being on a lower pairing.  A lower pairing implies he's the 5th or the 6th seeing as that is the low pairing that actually plays.  Being the 7 means he's in the pressbox not on a pairing.

Being the 6 in Buffalo would be better for his development than being the 1 in Ra-cha-cha.  But he isn't going to be the 6 out of the gate.

The 7 and 8 don't get limited minutes, they get ZERO minutes.

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

With all due respect, no, you said being in Ra-cha-cha would be better than being on a lower pairing.  A lower pairing implies he's the 5th or the 6th seeing as that is the low pairing that actually plays.  Being the 7 means he's in the pressbox not on a pairing.

Being the 6 in Buffalo would be better for his development than being the 1 in Ra-cha-cha.  But he isn't going to be the 6 out of the gate.

The 7 and 8 don't get limited minutes, they get ZERO minutes.

The source of our disagreement is over the definition of what a lower pairing is. I consider the fourth pairing as a lower pairing. As it stands, if he made the roster, he would be on the fourth pairing, which as you point out is a utility pairing. 

So far, Ryan Johnson has really made a positive impression on me. He's the embodiment of substance over style. In the not-too-distant future I can envision him playing on any of the top three pairings. A while back, a few astute posters predicted that he had the potential to be on the first or second pairing. I was skeptical. After seeing him the short time he has played, I have changed my view. Looking back, the ROR trade brought us Tage and RJ. Great deal for us. 

57 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The source of our disagreement is over the definition of what a lower pairing is. I consider the fourth pairing as a lower pairing. As it stands, if he made the roster, he would be on the fourth pairing, which as you point out is a utility pairing. 

So far, Ryan Johnson has really made a positive impression on me. He's the embodiment of substance over style. In the not-too-distant future I can envision him playing on any of the top three pairings. A while back, a few astute posters predicted that he had the potential to be on the first or second pairing. I was skeptical. After seeing him the short time he has played, I have changed my view. Looking back, the ROR trade brought us Tage and RJ. Great deal for us. 

There is no chance in the world that Adams and Granato are going to put him in the pressbox.

And yes, by the end of this season (by the end of next season at the latest) it certainly appears that R. Johnson will be a regular nightly contributor for the parent club.

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

There is no chance in the world that Adams and Granato are going to put him in the pressbox.

And yes, by the end of this season (by the end of next season at the latest) it certainly appears that R. Johnson will be a regular nightly contributor for the parent club.

I agree with the highlighted first sentence. That's what I have been saying all along. I don't know why you think I'm saying otherwise. We have gotten to the point of talking past one another. We agree on this issue, not disagree. 

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.