Idle SabreSpacer speculation re: Patrick Kane

sweetlou

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Marchand had a very very different surgery.

These hip resurfacing surgeries, which is almost a hip replacement (you end up with a metal ball in metal socket for your hip joint), have terrible outcomes for NHL players thus far.

It’s a small sample size, but the results of these surgeries has been truly awful in terms of continuing an NHL career.  No one has been able to play more than half a season after getting the surgery.  I don’t think people are putting enough consideration into the idea that Kane’s NHL career might actually be already finished.

idk, it's not like I pay attention to the medical details. All I know is Marchand had double hip surgeries and he's fine. Kane's could be different, but I assume a team that signs him has doctors and a medical test. At least they should. 

3 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Lighten up. Or watch videos of Marchand licking people. Whatever floats your boat. 👅

No you lighten up you piece of crap. Apologize or don't talk to me anymore. That comment was completely uncalled for. You're an a$$.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

idk, it's not like I pay attention to the medical details. All I know is Marchand had double hip surgeries and he's fine. Kane's could be different, but I assume a team that signs him has doctors and a medical test. At least they should. 

Yeah, I’m not trying to say Kane definitely can not play again, but a few guys have tried this surgery and have gone back to teams and tried, but none of them have been able to continue their careers for more than 40ish games.  It’s a huge surgery.  It’s not just ligament surgery or something soft tissue that needs time to heal.  It’s a hip replacement.  He has metal hip joints now.  

So he could be the first, but until someone is able to actually play after this kind of surgery I’m extremely skeptical that Kane will be able to or, if he is able to get out there, that he will be any good.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’m sorry for calling Brad Marchand your boyfriend. I now realize you two are incompatible for reasons only you could explain.  

Some people have the strength of character to apologize when they go too far or make a mistake. Others, do not have that strength. Enjoy your life. 

• Haha (+1) 2

On 11/19/2023 at 8:04 AM, Curt said:

Yeah, I’m not trying to say Kane definitely can not play again, but a few guys have tried this surgery and have gone back to teams and tried, but none of them have been able to continue their careers for more than 40ish games.  It’s a huge surgery.  It’s not just ligament surgery or something soft tissue that needs time to heal.  It’s a hip replacement.  He has metal hip joints now.  

So he could be the first, but until someone is able to actually play after this kind of surgery I’m extremely skeptical that Kane will be able to or, if he is able to get out there, that he will be any good.

The Backstrom case definitely gives me pause.  Who was the other? I think it was an older Dman who finished out the year but then called it a career.

42 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

The Backstrom case definitely gives me pause.  Who was the other? I think it was an older Dman who finished out the year but then called it a career.

Jovanovski, he played thirty something games then retired.

Kesler, Bakstrom, Hagelin.

Basically no one has had the surgery then come back to be a real player.  Small sample size, but concerning.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

Jovanovski, he played thirty something games then retired.

Kesler, Bakstrom, Hagelin.

Basically no one has had the surgery then come back to be a real player.  Small sample size, but concerning.

On the one hand: all of these players are mid-to-late 30s when they had the operation and were already in the "lost a step" category and trying to hang on for a few more veteran savvy seasons. And in some cases (Kesler, Jovo) they already had a ton of heavy wear on those tires.

On the other hand: Kane is already mid-30s and has more games played than any of them.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

On the one hand: all of these players are mid-to-late 30s when they had the operation and were already in the "lost a step" category and trying to hang on for a few more veteran savvy seasons. And in some cases (Kesler, Jovo) they already had a ton of heavy wear on those tires.

On the other hand: Kane is already mid-30s and has more games played than any of them.

Yeah, this is a surgery for when your hips are too worn out to do what you need them to do.  So anyone one who gets this surgery is going to be an old worn out guy.

The question is:  Can this surgery successfully allow those hips to do what is needed to be a good NHL player for a couple more years?

Edited by Curt

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.