Connolly Feeling A Lot Better

PTS

Someone needs to tell Brad Riter to become a reporter -- that's the role he has to play first and foremost. With no information to go on at all, both Riter and Paul Hamilton said during the first intermission they expected Connolly to be gone for the rest of the season. Terrible. There's that WGR optimism.

While I'm railing against the media, would someone please fire Kevin Sylvester. Awful. Just awful. He started off by saying tonight's game wasn't as exciting as Game 1. Whatever. "MSGGGGGGGGGGG." What, does he have pictures of Larry Quinn?

Frankly, I thought concussion as soon as I saw the hit. With Tim's history, this can't be good. When a player lays there, motionless and rigid, it's usually a concussion. I learned that watching Don Beebe receive several of them.

I'm pissed that nobody took Schaefer's head off, though. You drill our leading scorer, and nobody does anything? C'mon!

Frankly, I thought concussion as soon as I saw the hit. With Tim's history, this can't be good. When a player lays there, motionless and rigid, it's usually a concussion.

Connolly took an elbow to the jaw, which hit that nerve back there and knocked him the f*** out. He looked ok on his feet so I'm remaining hopeful that we don't hear anything tomorrow about him having concussion like symptoms.

When you compare that hit to the Umberger hit, I would have to say the Umberger hit was worse, although by how much I don't know. But regardless, if Umberger was able to come back after sitting out just one game after looking like a zombie laying on the ice, I'm hoping Timmy can do the same. I know he had that concussion two years ago but let's hope that time span was enough of a recovery and this was just a temporary rattler.

If they try to go after him again with a shot the head to try to knock him out permanently, I'll personally go down there and go Nancy Kerrigan on someone with a 2x4....Havlat or Chara.

Someone needs to tell Brad Riter to become a reporter -- that's the role he has to play first and foremost. With no information to go on at all, both Riter and Paul Hamilton said during the first intermission they expected Connolly to be gone for the rest of the season. Terrible. There's that WGR optimism.

While I'm railing against the media, would someone please fire Kevin Sylvester. Awful. Just awful. He started off by saying tonight's game wasn't as exciting as Game 1. Whatever. "MSGGGGGGGGGGG." What, does he have pictures of Larry Quinn?

OK, I'll bite.

1. I'm not a reporter at all. I'm a host. There's a HUGE difference.

2. If you're going to attempt to quote me (or Paul for that matter), please attempt to be accurate. I said "I'd be shocked if Connolly returns tonight." Paul said "I'd be surprised if he returns this season." I then said "I'm not ready to go that far, since we obviously have no information to work with."

So, I didn't have to be shocked (he didn't return) and, with any luck, Paul gets shocked when TC suits up on Wednesday.

OK, I'll bite.

2. If you're going to attempt to quote me (or Paul for that matter), please attempt to be accurate. I said "I'd be shocked if Connolly returns tonight." Paul said "I'd be surprised if he returns this season." I then said "I'm not ready to go that far, since we obviously have no information to work with."

So, I didn't have to be shocked (he didn't return) and, with any luck, Paul gets shocked when TC suits up on Wednesday.

since you bit, i have a question. What's the deal with the streaming feed cutting to "commercial" (cheesy guitar riffs) during the replay of the goals/saves? I understand not broadcasting the wgr commercials over the internet, but what gives with the replays of the hilights?

Well I think you're great on the postgame shows, and some people just have the need to find things to complain about in the midst of something so exciting like going up 2-0 on Ottawa ON THE ROAD. And those people, well, I just don't know about them.

And I meant to say Tanya Harding right? She was the culprit. Yep, I got it now. Still, my threat stands.

since you bit, i have a question. What's the deal with the streaming feed cutting to "commercial" (cheesy guitar riffs) during the replay of the goals/saves? I understand not broadcasting the wgr commercials over the internet, but what gives with the replays of the hilights?

For legal reasons which I can't divulge (and by "can't divulge" I mean "don't understand"), we can't air any commercials.

There is some automated system in place that puts the music on whenever a certain signal hits it, theoretically indicating that a commercial is starting. I guess the problem has something to do with the system working in 30 second increments (or 1 minute incrememnts or something) so that even if a tiny little bit of audio (10 seconds or so) that we can't broadcast goes out, the stream gets shut down for much longer.

Sorry that details are sketchy and that my post probably helps you out very little, but that's what I know about the system.

OK, I'll bite.

Thump thump is the sound Paul makes as Brad throws him under the bus... ;)

Kidding aside, PA said that before the Dumont interview. Kudos on that to the both of you. I know injuries are hush hush, it is just that at least on this board, we are genuinely concerned. I'd take a broken arm as good news as long as it isn't a concussion. I just would hate to see his career finished just as it's just getting going.

Oh, it was PA that said that...hmm, well I'm going to be like the league favoring the Leafs and absolve PA of his comments, not that you need any absolving from me Senor PA, but I respect you and did not mean any slight towards you.

B-)

MonkeyGirl want a piece of me? Want a banana? :)

OK, backing up for a second here. Both Brad and I are mangling this pretty good. Neither Paul nor Brad said they EXPECTED Tim to be out for the rest of the reason. But they BOTH said they wouldn't be shocked if he was. (I listened to the intermission again on NHL Radio.)

I just thought a conversation about Connolly possibly being out for the rest of the season was inappropriate given the complete lack of information that Brad pointed out. It struck me as two pessimistic Buffalo fans assuming the worst.

I would retract my statement about Brad being a reporter "first and foremost." Of course he is a host first and foremost -- and a damned good one. But at a time like that, I think he should put the reporter hat on and leave it on for a few minutes.

By the way, I was not trying to get Brad to "bite." I'm surprised he even read it. I'm no troll fishing for WGR hosts.

MSG hosts... oh yeah. Kevin just gets on my nerves. That comment about tonight's game not being as exciting as Game 2 sort of exposed him, if you ask me. What say you, Kevin? :)

For legal reasons which I can't divulge (and by "can't divulge" I mean "don't understand"), we can't air any commercials.

There is some automated system in place that puts the music on whenever a certain signal hits it, theoretically indicating that a commercial is starting. I guess the problem has something to do with the system working in 30 second increments (or 1 minute incrememnts or something) so that even if a tiny little bit of audio (10 seconds or so) that we can't broadcast goes out, the stream gets shut down for much longer.

Sorry that details are sketchy and that my post probably helps you out very little, but that's what I know about the system.

I can tell you why, Brad. If a commercial plays with an AFTRA or SAG talent over the internet, extra royalty payments have to be made to the talent. Many clients, not looking to pay extra $$$, give explicit instructions NOT to stream their spots on the internet. So this "commercial-covering" system was developed to allow station to stream online without having to worry about which spots have union talents and which don't.

I think the long-term hope is that seperate spot inventories (without any union voice talents) will air during those spot breaks instead of that annoying music. Maybe when listener levels get to a certain point. The nice thing about internet radio is you know how exactly how many people are tuning in at any given time.

PTR

I'm pissed that nobody took Schaefer's head off, though. You drill our leading scorer, and nobody does anything? C'mon!

The fact the Sabres did not retaliate is a sign how disciplined a team they are. Winning is the best revenge. Oh, but don't worry. If the Sabres are up by 4-5 goals in the 3rd period in game 4, up 3-0 in the series, I think Mr. Schaefer will get his.

PTR

the hit was clean.. going after Schaefer would have just distracted the team from it's goal.

I personally think Connolly isn't "just fine", I think Ruff is saying that so Ottawa doesn't have a chance to prepare for a Connolly-less game.

But I'm really hoping I'm completely wrong.

that's a good enough explanation for me. I guess i'll just have to illegally encode the streaming hilights you guys put on the website. Great work with the post game show by the way. I always love the drunk callers.

Back to connolly, and the smuggators:

from the frontpage

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/Senators/200...09/1570857.html

Still, you?ve got to think the Sabres are being optimistic, that Connolly returning from such a hit, given his past, would be nothing short of miracle.

And it looks like they aren?t the same team without him.

yes ottawa sun writer, we aren't the same team without him. With connolly, we'd have beaten your sorry ass team 5-1.

Connolly took an elbow to the jaw, which hit that nerve back there and knocked him the f*** out. He looked ok on his feet so I'm remaining hopeful that we don't hear anything tomorrow about him having concussion like symptoms.

tell me more about this nerve.

is it the one that gets pinched when your brain rattles around the inside of your skull like the beans in a maraca?

seriously, i hope you know what you're talking about. i never heard of this.

but if he had an honest to god concussion, he's be out and they'd say it. that's what they did with mair.

From a team that described recent injuries to Briere and Hecht as "Upper Body Injury" & "Upper Body Ailment", I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres try to hide the seriousness of the injury as long as possible(assuming it is a concussion).

tell me more about this nerve.

is it the one that gets pinched when your brain rattles around the inside of your skull like the beans in a maraca?

seriously, i hope you know what you're talking about. i never heard of this.

It's the same thing that happens when a boxer gets knocked out. When your head whips to the side quickly it pinches a nerve/artery (forgive me i don't know the exact biology of what happens) and you get KO'd. It doesn't neccessarily mean you have a concussion. Boxers get knocked out all the time and come to ten minutes later without getting concussions. It looks like this could have been the case with what happened to Timmy. It wasn't so much his head hitting the ice or the Sens player's shoulder head on that would have given him a concussion. It looked more like he just was KO'd by his head whipping to the side a bit.

At least i hope!

Archived