Matthew Savoie highlights, with guest star Zach Benson

LGR4GM

Savoie and Benson look great together. There was another player in those highlights that also stood out to me. It was Benjamin Zloty, a defenseman wearing #4. He had over 80 points in 63 games played. He's 21 years old and went undrafted. He could be worth a look, but this is obviously just a random highlight package of a different player I'm basing this on.

• Like (+1) 2

I doubt either of them sticks with the Sabres this year, but they look like impact players when they do break in.

Savoie was drafted as a C but seems to play some wing at the junior level. He may end up as a RW in the NHL. Maybe they break in on an ICE line with Krebs as the C.

Savoie is faster and has a better shot while Benson’s playmaking and stick handling look elite.

I am looking forward to Savoie and Benson teaming up for Canada at the World Juniors.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Savoie was drafted as a C but seems to play some wing at the junior level. He may end up as a RW in the NHL. Maybe they break in on an ICE line with Krebs as the C.

Savoie is faster and has a better shot while Benson’s playmaking and stick handling look elite.

Wouldn't it be cool if Tage's line is still clicking along, Cozens' line is playing at a first line level, and Krebs grows a bit and our third line is *also* a first line?  Yikes, the rest of the league won't know what to think.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Wouldn't it be cool if Tage's line is still clicking along, Cozens' line is playing at a first line level, and Krebs grows a bit and our third line is *also* a first line?  Yikes, the rest of the league won't know what to think.

Might feel like 2005-7 again.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am looking forward to Savoie and Benson teaming up for Canada at the World Juniors.

I'll be watching this.

Savoie will be the highest-drafted 2004-born forward available (assuming Fantilli makes the Jackets), but he was the 3rd-highest last year and doesn't seem to have the warmest relationship with Hockey Canada.

Benson is probably the most talented 2005-born Canadian available.

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That’s what I’m thinking.

Krebs’ apprenticeship with KO and Girgs is about making him a 200’ C. He may be ready in another year to be the veteran that takes those two under his wings. He still has some good offensive instincts to mesh with some high end talent. Benson’s defensive abilities and Savoie’s speed will help their adjustment to the 2-way game.

A 4th line of Östlund between Kulich and Wahlberg could provide some secondary scoring.

As we have all said, not all of these guys will make it and there isn’t room for all of them either.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

That’s what I’m thinking.

Krebs’ apprenticeship with KO and Girgs is about making him a 200’ C. He may be ready in another year to be the veteran that takes those two under his wings. He still has some good offensive instincts to mesh with some high end talent. Benson’s defensive abilities and Savoie’s speed will help their adjustment to the 2-way game.

A 4th line of Östlund between Kulich and Wahlberg could provide some secondary scoring.

As we have all said, not all of these guys will make it and there isn’t room for all of them either.

There is, however, a misplaced sense around here that they all have to play in the top 6.

The post-lockout Sabres had a "3rd" line of Vanek, Roy and Afinogenov. Pominville and Pyatt were depth guys and Kotalik and Connolly were in and out of the top 6.

That team won a lot of games because its depth outskilled the opponent's.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I'll be watching this.

Savoie will be the highest-drafted 2004-born forward available (assuming Fantilli makes the Jackets), but he was the 3rd-highest last year and doesn't seem to have the warmest relationship with Hockey Canada.

Benson is probably the most talented 2005-born Canadian available.

Connor. Bedard. 

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There is, however, a misplaced sense around here that they all have to play in the top 6.

The post-lockout Sabres had a "3rd" line of Vanek, Roy and Afinogenov. Pominville and Pyatt were depth guys and Kotalik and Connolly were in and out of the top 6.

That team won a lot of games because its depth outskilled the opponent's.

That’s the depth I’m hoping for.

Guys like Mitts, Savoie, Kulich and Wahlberg that can C/W are huge assets to depth. They can move up and down the lineup at different positions.

They also provide different faceoff options for the coaches to deploy.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

There is no way in hell Bedard will be available for the WJC.

I think Chicago will release him for the tournament, yes. They have no plans to win this season and letting him go doesn't change that. At worst it hurts ticket sales for 2 weeks. 

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Chicago will release him for the tournament, yes. They have no plans to win this season and letting him go doesn't change that. At worst it hurts ticket sales for 2 weeks. 

His professional hockey playing teammates won’t care either, right?

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

But it hurts the Hawks, their fans and his teammates. The only ones it helps is Team Canada. 

Id be shocked.

What team deliberately sits a 1st-line player?

• Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's the primary reason why that it is unlikely that he will take a leave of absence to play in a tournament. 

• Agree 2

42 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But it hurts the Hawks, their fans and his teammates. The only ones it helps is Team Canada. 

Id be shocked.

What team deliberately sits a 1st-line player?

And remember, the Sabres wouldn't even let Derek friggin' Plante go to play in the Olympics back in the day.

Would be surprised should Chicago release Bedard for the WJC's.  (Figure it has as much of a chance of happening as did that Eichel/McDavid matchup in the WJC back in '16.)

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ok, I think they'll release him. 

Why would Bedard want to go? Love of country? He put up enough love at the most recent WJC. Seems unlikely the next big thing would be interested in taking a step backwards. 

13 hours ago, phil_soisson said:

These guys are fun to watch! Thanks LGR4GM for posting!

They are fun to watch. Lots of energy and high end skill on display. The thing I like best is that what you are seeing is mostly transferable to the NHL level. Those small area skills that Savoie and Benson have will be invaluable at higher levels and the way they attack is also going to shine at higher levels. 

• Like (+1) 2

Watching the highlights, there is so much movement that Benson and Savoie create because of how they pass and attack space. I could see I guy like Jeff Skinner, Jiri Kulich, or Isak Rosen fitting with those two as all 3 could keep up and have good shots. 2 years from now Skinner might be a really good vet for Savoie and Benson as he slows just a bit but with his net presence he will clean up a lot of garbage and that's what McClendon does now for S+B. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.