Kulich focused on earning a spot

dudacek

Great look at what Kulich thought of his year and what he still needs to do, from a Czech article, courtesy of Google translate.

His career can soar even higher. Much higher.

Jiří Kulich (19), who was able to get a hold of himself in the extra league and shined in the 18 and 20 teams, with which he won silver, imagined that he would experience the draft to the NHL already last year.

"It took me a while to get over the frustration," reports the Buffalo hopeful.

Even so, he has had a good season on the farm. And now they will announce a frontal attack on the first team.

He was wearing the jersey of his team in the AHL and already in the role of mentor he was showing younger players a lot of hockey cuisine. As part of the talent camp organized by his agent Aleš Volek, Jiří Kulich had a different role than before.

"It's great for the boys. I know very well that it helped me a lot too," recalls the youth star, who was taken 28th overall in last year's draft.

You were here at the camp recently as a player, right?

"I took pictures with Paste (David Pastrňák) and Chýťa (Filip Chytil). I was putting it on Instagram at the time, it was amazing. It was a huge motivation for me. Even when these guys played half throttle against us, I was always happy to maybe take the puck away from them. It was surreal.'

Do you already feel like a mentor?

"Not really. I still have enough time for that... After all, I don't have that much more than the guys on the ice. I still have a lot to learn. When I see how Filip (Chytil) has stepped, it's amazing. I wish him the best. So it was an honor for me to be able to stand here next to him. I know for a hundred percent that I still lack a lot to reach his level."

As much as possible?

"We are different players, but if I have to take it in general, I don't have his game experience. Look at how much he has already played, including at Rangers. Whereas I still have the main goal in front of me, to keep myself in the main team."

Last season on the farm went well for you, didn't it? You were praised.

"I got some confidence, but I know that I have a new year ahead of me, so I have to be better again. I don't want to rest on my laurels, as they say.'

A year ago, you were drafted in the first round by the Buffalo Sabres. Can you remember what you were thinking then? Were you hoping to at least get a glimpse of the NHL?

“To tell you the truth, I was hoping that some chance would come. So for the first fortnight after I was sent to the farm I was frustrated. Which was reflected in my game too, so I was also bad about it. I wasn't as fast as I imagined. I was average…”

So you didn't have a clear head.

"No. I thought I would just snap my finger and I would be fine and get a chance in the NHL. But then it dawned on me that it's not worth dwelling on it anymore. That I have to let it go and what has to happen will happen. The only way I can influence it is to give it my all and play as well as I can."

what did a year on the farm give you the most?

"I mainly had to gain weight. Because from the beginning I was still lying on the ice. Whoever touched me, I fell. I gained eight kilos and felt much better. I already had the feeling that no one would just stop me. I also started skating, I suddenly felt better overall. My head was also set correctly at that moment.'

What else have you honed?

"It gave me a lot in every way. I also had to work on the things I thought I was good at.”

Maybe?

"Shooting. The bullet is my main weapon, I thought I was good at it. But all of a sudden I came on and couldn't shoot past players or create any chances. So I've been really grinding and I think I've made pretty decent progress. At the end of the season, I already felt comfortable and confident."

Until then, your career was flying high. You played well in the extra league, in the round of 18, then silver with the round of 20. Did you have to fight a lot with the fact that the road is now a little bumpy?

"Overall, it was mentally demanding. I was far from home, hockey is completely different overseas. But everyone has to go through that. The lifestyle is different, I had to set my head to really just be positive. Which I managed only after half a year."

Have you struggled with this before?

“The first month I was on the mat about three times because they could tell I was frustrated. They said that they understood, but that I would get used to it and that I had to work hard. I'm glad I got through it. But not until the end of the season, so I'm expecting another fight." (laughs)

Will it get any easier? Or is the last year being erased?

"I know it will be challenging. I've built up some position there, but I'm not betting on it at all. I want to be even better.”

Did you register the words of praise from Buffalo general manager Kevyn Adams praising you for the progress you've made during the year? 

“I didn't even read that. But I think I have grown both as a person and in hockey. The main goal is to stay in the main team as long as possible. Already after a year in America, I know what to work on. I believe that if I go against it and give it one hundred percent, it will succeed."

Is it hard to accept that there are ten other wolves next to you waiting for one spot at the top?

"I take it as I want to be the best. So I have to go through the others as well. I see it as healthy competition. This also drives me forward to perform at my best.”

And how do you struggle with English?

"Pretty good, I think, even though I messed up a few interviews." (laughs)

Didn't you express yourself accurately?

"Rather, sometimes the word I need doesn't jump out at me. So sometimes it looks like I'm talking like a base... But it helps me a lot that I have my Swedish teammate Isak Rosén there, with whom I'm in daily contact. So I only speak English with him. We discussed a lot during the season as well, for example five hours straight on the bus we talk about hockey and life. So it's better in that respect too."

The new national team coach Radim Rulík mentioned that the players around you from the successful 20 will also get space in the A team. That must be fun, right?

"Such words are very nice to hear. So I didn't hear them, but my mother was showing them to me. It's nice, but then again, it's not like we get something for free. We have to earn the space. As for me, I've had a year on the farm, but I want to be in the NHL! So I know I still have a long way to go.”

What is the magic of the successful coach Rulík?

"The entire implementation team was very positive. Everyone knows when to raise their voice and when not to. We played attacking, skating hockey. As a team, we sat down a lot. We were all pursuing a common goal. It's not really a phrase. We fought for each other. We were also very close to the entire implementation staff, who were always with us."

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

There definitely was an evolution in his game last season.  A lot of people have Rousek written into the Sabres lineup this October (including yours truly, but only have it down in pencil), but Kulich is going to give him a good run for his money.

It's a shame neither are projecting at this point as an NHL C or Jost's spot in the top 12 (with Quinn out) would be in serious jeopardy.  (It could be anyhow if they keep both Mittelstadt and Krebs at C; but if Kulich could slide into Krebs' 4C role between Okposo and Girgensons then Jost would be this year's Hinostroza.)

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Thanks a lot!
I had seen this article but didn’t really know how to use Google translate.

Sounds like a good kid. He added 8 kilos, almost 20 lbs.

Hockey cuisine?

If I remember correctly, he was listed just over 170 when he was drafted?

Coming in to camp at 190ish should make a huge difference. I was not expecting Kulich to make the team this fall, but this article combined with the Quinn injury has adjusted my expectations a bit.

The concept of Kulich would click quite nicely with the concept of Krebs. There is an opening and he just might seize it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.