Looking at the Atlantic Division

sweetlou

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Bergeron retired. We took one of their defenders. I don't think goalies will be enough to make up for that. In fact, I'll predict worse numbers from the goalies in Boston. 

It doesn't matter. No one is interested in doing a comparison. It's just, last year Boston was good so they're still good. 

When the Sabres went from Presidents Trophy to losing their 2 best (arguably 3 best) C's to FA they fell ~23 points in the standings.

The Bruins losing their 2 best C's and a solid D-man to a division rival could very well lose 24-30 points.  That will still have them in the playoffs.  They have to lose more like 20 more games than last year to miss the dance.  Might happen, but absolutely wouldn't have money on it.  

(Not arguing with you.  Just your post seemed like a good spot to put this response into the thread.)

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

That’s a team very much trying to make the playoffs.

But still a lot of new pieces being forced into their lineup.  Personally would rather have the lineup that's coming back intact than the one that looks improved on paper.  (But sure as #### would really like to see a better goalie to pair with Levi.  (Gee, really?  Nobody around here EVER says that.  😄)

51 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When the Sabres went from Presidents Trophy to losing their 2 best (arguably 3 best) C's to FA they fell ~23 points in the standings.

The Bruins losing their 2 best C's and a solid D-man to a division rival could very well lose 24-30 points.  That will still have them in the playoffs.  They have to lose more like 20 more games than last year to miss the dance.  Might happen, but absolutely wouldn't have money on it.  

(Not arguing with you.  Just your post seemed like a good spot to put this response into the thread.)

In the last 7 seasons, the Bruins had 112, 107, 100, 73 (pacing for 107), 100 (pacing for 116), and 107, and finally a 135-point historical* finish. Just regressing to their mean regular pace (108) is losing 27 points in the standings. Now, take Bergeron, Krejci, Hall, Orlov, Bertuzzi, and even Nosek's defense out of the lineup and replace them with has-beens Lucic and JVR (who produced at Nick Foligno level last season -- who I didn't even note as a roster loss). That's worth another 10 points at minimum. Their season will be officially over the moment a Tkachuk runs Pastrnak.

*Fun note: 3 of the top 8 all-time highest season team points earners (BOS 135, TBL 128, FLA 122) have occurred in this division in the last 5 seasons. Not highest win %, mind you, because they've had Loser Points to help them. But -- they all had the commonality of 4 teams in-division concurrently tanking or in the dregs of rebuilding, or Kruegering.

On 7/26/2023 at 9:25 PM, dudacek said:

But I should know better than to debate the merits of any Bruin with you 😁

lol, but I imagine I am the only member of this board who watched every single Sabres game this past season AND every single Bruins game. 

Steen I'm not 100% on but if they ever waive Lauko we should snap him up in a heartbeat. Guy gives his all and gives it all the time. I suspect however that he bumps Greer from their starting line up. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.