Tage Thompson: Top 10 Center

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Haven’t seen the list, but I’m guessing there are at least a couple in the top 10 I’d rank him higher than.

1. McDavid 2. McKinnon 3. Draisaitl 4. Matthews 5. Crosby 6. Hughes 7. Point 8. Eichel 9. Barkov 10. Pettersson 

Only ones that I feel are reasonable to question are Eichel, Barkov and Pettersson, but Eichel won the cup last year,  Pettersson broke 100 points, and Barkov has been pretty damn good for a while and plays a more complete game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

1. McDavid 2. McKinnon 3. Draisaitl 4. Matthews 5. Crosby 6. Hughes 7. Point 8. Eichel 9. Barkov 10. Pettersson 

Only ones that I feel are reasonable to question are Eichel, Barkov and Pettersson, but Eichel won the cup last year,  Pettersson broke 100 points, and Barkov has been pretty damn good for a while and plays a more complete game. 

Like I suspected, there are at least a couple I’d put Thompson ahead of, but I’m sure that’s just my intolerable and biased optimistic outlook on the matter. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Barbashev won the cup too, so is he a better center than Thompson as well?

27 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Rightly or wrongly, (ie, small sample size bias may apply) current perception was swayed heavily by Jack’s performance in the playoffs and make no mistake, it was electric. Had arguably the best playoffs of any player being truly dominant at both ends of the ice, during the most critical time you’d want a guy to do it, against EXTREME physicality (we all saw the Tkachuk hit) which actually minimizes the sample season concern.

Look, I’m the Jack guy. But even I was impressed. I take 2023 playoffs Eichel if I want to win 1 game before I take the Thompson is saw this past year, and he was indeed great 

ymmv 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Rightly or wrongly, (ie, small sample size bias may apply) current perception was swayed heavily by Jack’s performance in the playoffs and make no mistake, it was electric. Had arguably the best playoffs of any player being truly dominant at both ends of the ice, during the most critical time you’d want a guy to do it, against EXTREME physicality (we all saw the Tkachuk hit) which actually minimizes the sample season concern.

Look, I’m the Jack guy. But even I was impressed. I take 2023 playoffs Eichel if I want to win 1 game before I take the Thompson is saw this past year, and he was indeed great 

ymmv 

His position on Eichel was that the cup win tips the scales, but that's not how you evaluate players

7 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

His position on Eichel was that the cup win tips the scales, but that's not how you evaluate players

Ya championships are super, at least often overrated in determining the greats I think 

Considering it’s a team accomplishment. ESPECIALLY in something like hockey 

On 8/6/2023 at 9:57 PM, Randall Flagg said:

Was Barbashev the 1C on his cup team?

I didn’t say I completely agreed with the list, I think Eichel should be down a couple spots, but i definitely don’t think it’s too far off. Thompson is more dangerous offensively, mainly when it comes to scoring goals. However, Eichel this year played much better in his own zone than Thompson did, which balances the scales some. He also was an elite playoff performer, and came in 2nd for the Conn Smythe in his first playoff appearance. I think it’s reasonable to put Eichel ahead of Tage, but I wouldn’t call you crazy for the reverse. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Was Barbashev the 1C on his cup team?

I didn’t say I completely agreed with the list, I think Eichel should be down a couple spots, but i definitely don’t think it’s too far off. Thompson is more dangerous offensively, mainly when it comes to scoring goals. However, Eichel this year played much better in his own zone than Thompson did, which balances the scales some. He also was an elite playoff performer, and came in 2nd for the Conn Smythe in his first playoff appearance. I think it’s reasonable to put Eichel ahead of Tage, but I wouldn’t call you crazy for the reverse. 

Wait a second, I have been told numerous times on this board the Sabres are totally screwed because they don't have more guys with playoff experience in their top 6 but you are telling me Jack Eichel in his first playoffs was really good!?! Without prior experience? How can that be? 

All joking aside, idk who is better. Tage and Jack play differently so it is a hard comparison. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/6/2023 at 7:59 PM, sabresparaavida said:

Patterson I think is the most underrated star in the league right now.  When I watch him play I see an elite talent that is on the border of getting into the mvp conversation very soon. I really think he's that good.

If healthy, Thompson Can be in the conversation to place anywhere outside of the top two or three in that list.  IF fully healthy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.