With some regional sports channels collapsing, NBA Utah Jazz create new model

PromoTheRobot

https://theathletic.com/4623077/2023/06/20/utah-jazz-new-tv-deal-nba?source=user-shared-article

"While the local broadcast market teetered in uncertainty across the country over the last few months, with one major regional sports network syndicate going into bankruptcy and another leaving that business altogether, the Utah Jazz sought a new way to distribute their games. Where the franchise landed is not only what team owner Ryan Smith calls an “entirely new model” for broadcasting games across the NBA, but it could also be a sign of what’s to come for others across the league."

"The Jazz will air all of their games not exclusive to national TV in two places next season, on free over-the-air television locally on KJZZ and online with a new direct-to-consumer stream for its fans, in an attempt to reach as many viewers as possible. It’s a clear shift from the TV model NBA teams have preferred for years, trading in cable dollars to maximize the households it can reach.

“If you’ve got bunny ears on your TV,” Smith told The Athletic in an interview, “you can get Jazz games.”

I wonder if the Sabres could pull something like this?

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://theathletic.com/4623077/2023/06/20/utah-jazz-new-tv-deal-nba?source=user-shared-article

"While the local broadcast market teetered in uncertainty across the country over the last few months, with one major regional sports network syndicate going into bankruptcy and another leaving that business altogether, the Utah Jazz sought a new way to distribute their games. Where the franchise landed is not only what team owner Ryan Smith calls an “entirely new model” for broadcasting games across the NBA, but it could also be a sign of what’s to come for others across the league."

"The Jazz will air all of their games not exclusive to national TV in two places next season, on free over-the-air television locally on KJZZ and online with a new direct-to-consumer stream for its fans, in an attempt to reach as many viewers as possible. It’s a clear shift from the TV model NBA teams have preferred for years, trading in cable dollars to maximize the households it can reach.

“If you’ve got bunny ears on your TV,” Smith told The Athletic in an interview, “you can get Jazz games.”

I wonder if the Sabres could pull something like this?

I have yet to understand why the NHL or any other major sports league has not gone the route of streaming everything first and having over the air or cable as the 2nd. I suppose it is because of the money but I would pay 200 bucks a year to get every Sabres game. and I would drop another 30 for the playoffs. Regional blackouts are the worst, why the F are we allowing MSG to be the only way you can watch Sabres games? It just seems like the market shifted about 10 years ago and the NHL is playing catchup. It doesn't help that once the playoffs start you need TNT, ESPN, ESPN+, and your regional provider to watch hockey. It is just narrow minded stupidity based on thinking immediate cash is better than expanded viewership. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I have yet to understand why the NHL or any other major sports league has not gone the route of streaming everything first and having over the air or cable as the 2nd. I suppose it is because of the money but I would pay 200 bucks a year to get every Sabres game. and I would drop another 30 for the playoffs. Regional blackouts are the worst, why the F are we allowing MSG to be the only way you can watch Sabres games? It just seems like the market shifted about 10 years ago and the NHL is playing catchup. It doesn't help that once the playoffs start you need TNT, ESPN, ESPN+, and your regional provider to watch hockey. It is just narrow minded stupidity based on thinking immediate cash is better than expanded viewership. 

Yep.

I do pay about $200 a year to watch every Sabre game streaming.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

This is a topic that keeps on coming up.

It is short-term thinking by the sabers or maybe the NHL. I'll bring up a few people... My daughter and her boyfriend who are in their middle  20s, two nieces who are in their middle 20s, and a nephew who is in his early 20s.

Those are the people in that age bracket in my life who have now moved out of their parents house and are living on their own. Every single one of them was a fan of the sabres growing up, and went to games, and watched them on television. My youngest nephew as a teenager had a collection of sabres jerseys.

I verified with my nephew and niece when I saw them last over the holidays but none of them have traditional cable television where they get the MSG network, so none of them watch sabres games anymore.

They are still fans of the team, but they don't go to any games, buy jerseys anymore, and they want them to do well but they watch the games much less than they did when they were readily available. My nephew was more of a sabres fan growing up but now he's more into the bills.... Why? He can watch all the games.

I'm sure it's not the same with everyone in that age group, but to me it's obvious that to make a little bit more money with your cable television partners, you are shutting out a large segment of people who are going to be less fans of your product, buy less merchandise, and is there overall interest drops go to less games.

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres are in a unique position to benefit from an over the air broadcast of their games. They are the only US market whose television signals can easily be picked up by the largest Canadian market. Anyone who has watched FOX 29 knows that there is a segment of commercials for the Canadian market. The Sabres could easily sell ads to Canadian companies. This might be an interesting source of revenue, and also be a way to expand the number of eyeballs watching your games in a local market. 

The new MSG Streaming Service will cost somewhere between 20-25 dollars/month per reports. With 8-14 games per month that equals to about 3 dollars a game, that’s not a bad deal if you can only subscribe during the season

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

How is that different from any other sport?

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

The Sabres are in a unique position to benefit from an over the air broadcast of their games. They are the only US market whose television signals can easily be picked up by the largest Canadian market. Anyone who has watched FOX 29 knows that there is a segment of commercials for the Canadian market. The Sabres could easily sell ads to Canadian companies. This might be an interesting source of revenue, and also be a way to expand the number of eyeballs watching your games in a local market. 

The new MSG Streaming Service will cost somewhere between 20-25 dollars/month per reports. With 8-14 games per month that equals to about 3 dollars a game, that’s not a bad deal if you can only subscribe during the season

It's been stupid as #### that they don't have a way of getting their games carried on the NP.  A huge part of what should be their base fan base simply getting given to the Loafs for no price whatsoever.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.