Fixing The Forward Group - For this season and next

GASabresIUFAN

On 3/22/2023 at 8:03 AM, triumph_communes said:

Okposo and Girgensons both need to go. Passengers 

At the start of the season I would have disagreed.  Now, I can see the need to rebuild. 

Kyle had slowed down a lot, this will likely be his last season. 

Zemgus has been a good soldier but I think he could be packaged in a hockey trade.   As long as we can replace him with a veteran, a two way forward, and one that can help the PK. 

On 3/22/2023 at 3:50 PM, Marvin said:

They are playing the game right.  The other guys are definitely less aware of things in their own zone.  I don't know what they can do during a game to help the other forwards.

Nah they aren’t. Every shift we’re getting hemmed in our own zone is this line versus the other teams 4th line. It’s embarrassing. They can’t play defense and they wait until one of our weaker defenseman makes a mistake. Turnover kings. 

With Larsson they would forecheck and eat up minutes against top lines. With Krebs they don’t get out of the zone against bottom lines. 

I've stated it before but we need to get bigger, meaner, gringier type of players. JT Compher, Noel Acciari, Garnet Hathaway, Michael Bunting types. We probably need a top 6 forward as well, not really sold on JJ Peterka as a top 6 player (I know he's young and it was his 1st season) but he offers almsot 0 grit, easily gets checked off the puck.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

At the start of the season I would have disagreed.  Now, I can see the need to rebuild. 

Kyle had slowed down a lot, this will likely be his last season. 

Zemgus has been a good soldier but I think he could be packaged in a hockey trade.   As long as we can replace him with a veteran, a two way forward, and one that can help the PK. 

KO has definitely lost a step. He also lacks creativity so other teams just angle him to the boards and he occasionally bulls through or loses the puck. Even the cycle game is tough for him because his foot speed and hands hold him back from winning one on one battles.

I like Kyle but as I’ve said earlier his leadership for the young team was good for learning how to be pros. However, when the time comes to win or compete late in the season, he has only played 24 playoff games in 16 years.

Girgs still has game but if he wants to move on it may be good for both sides. Bring in some playoff hardened vet who will be tougher than Girgs in order to defend teammates. Not a goon, but a guy like Goodrow or Coleman when they went to Tampa.

8 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I've stated it before but we need to get bigger, meaner, gringier type of players. JT Compher, Noel Acciari, Garnet Hathaway, Michael Bunting types. We probably need a top 6 forward as well, not really sold on JJ Peterka as a top 6 player (I know he's young and it was his 1st season) but he offers almsot 0 grit, easily gets checked off the puck.

JJ Peterka has zero grit???? Thats not the JJP that I've watched the last two years!   

• Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Moving out girgs for the sake of moving on is not something I would do if I was in charge of an organization that so thoroughly gets the bottom 6 wrong and brings in 10 players that ruin those lines for every helpful player they add 

He can stay if they don’t bring in better wingers. He may want out if  a cap strapped “contending” team wants a guy like him for veteran depth.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

You're not as far off as you might think. It’s just not going to happen as quickly as you want.

Those are the guys who will be there when we are good

I know. My timeline isn't the same as KA. I pretty much speculated about that when he was hired. 

Doesn't change my mind though. This season was a missed opportunity imo. I think a really good GM has to have a little more flexibility and adaptability in his "plan". You basically stick to your plan and philosophy but you don't dig your heals in and get stubborn. You have to be willing to speed it up or slow it down as moments and opportunities present themselves. 

55 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I know. My timeline isn't the same as KA. I pretty much speculated about that when he was hired. 

Doesn't change my mind though. This season was a missed opportunity imo. I think a really good GM has to have a little more flexibility and adaptability in his "plan". You basically stick to your plan and philosophy but you don't dig your heals in and get stubborn. You have to be willing to speed it up or slow it down as moments and opportunities present themselves. 

Asset management also has a place; spending large gobs of assets to get 8th place and get rocked by the Bruins only to lose those rentals makes zero sense

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.