Robert Hagg traded to Florida for a 2022 6th Round Pick

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No we paid $2.8 million for a 5th rd pick and a below replacement player.  I don’t think a 5th rd pick is worth $2.8 mill.

Maybe we should have used that money on goaltending or a capable defensive defenseman? 

Stop. I've already had this argument and it's very clear that the 2.8mil prevents us from nothing. I've disproven your argument multiple times, we got a 5th round pick for basically nothing. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Stop. I've already had this argument and it's very clear that the 2.8mil prevents us from nothing. I've disproven your argument multiple times, we got a 5th round pick for basically nothing. 

You never disproven my argument, you just disagree.  Obviously you don’t understand opportunity cost.  We are a cap floor team this season and using 2.8 mill (or about 5% of the cap) for a useless player when you have actual needs elsewhere is a poor management decision regardless if you get a 5th rd pick. 

FYI the last 5th rd pick to play for us was 2005’s Nathan Gerbe.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres are about 15 million below the cap, Butchers 2.8 actually means nothing. 

What? What does an expiring contract this season have anything to do with our cap situation next season?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You never disproven my argument, you just disagree.  Obviously you don’t understand opportunity cost.  We are a cap floor team this season and using 2.8 mill (or about 5% of the cap) for a useless player when you have actual needs elsewhere is a poor management decision regardless if you get a 5th rd pick. 

What? What does an expiring contract this season have anything to do with our cap situation next season?

We're 15 million below the cap right now and you're in here bitching about getting a free 5th round pick because we'd have 17.8 mill in cap space instead. It's ludicrous. 

What an atrocious and bizarre argument. Adding Butcher did not prevent us from doing anything. 

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

We're 15 million below the cap right now and you're in here bitching about getting a free 5th round pick because we'd have 17.8 mill in cap space instead. It's ludicrous. 

What an atrocious and bizarre argument. Adding Butcher did not prevent us from doing anything. 

What your missing is that we weren’t working toward the cap, KA was working to keep us at or near the cap floor.  That was our budget to start the season. If you budget is 60 mill, why waste 5% on a player that can’t (and didn’t ) help you.  The Butcher acquisition was a reflection of poor pro player evaluation and ultimately a waste of money.  

32 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I could squint hard and kind of see your point if it was clear that the Sabres were actually unwilling to spend anything more than the salary cap floor. But they are like $5-6M over the cap floor right now.  I just don’t believe that Butcher prohibited them from doing something different in goal.

I think it’s pretty clear that the Sabres’ goal for the season was not to get the very best goaltending that they could (at least after Ullmark was no longer an option).  They wanted to get passable goaltending that was good in the locker room, on short term.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What your missing is that we weren’t working toward the cap, KA was working to keep us at or near the cap floor.  That was our budget to start the season. If you budget is 60 mill, why waste 5% on a player that can’t (and didn’t ) help you.  The Butcher acquisition was a reflection of poor pro player evaluation and ultimately a waste of money.  

No it wasn't. Adams has repeatedly said he could exceed the cap floor.

Adams talked about using our cap space basically all week.

• Like (+1) 1

People are upset about not getting enough return for Hagg? The guy was a rusty boat anchor all year.  Not having him in the lineup is a win for us.

Of any NHL players with a minimum 300min played- Hagg is 630 out of 646, 2nd worst on the team to Bjork whose 637.

See you the F*** later and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

People are upset about not getting enough return for Hagg? The guy was a rusty boat anchor all year.  Not having him in the lineup is a win for us.

Of any NHL players with a minimum 300min played- Hagg is 630 out of 646, 2nd worst on the team to Bjork whose 637.

See you the F*** later and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Seems aggressive

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

A 6th round pick? What’s the point? 

A pick is a pick, you never know sometimes.  Pavel Datsyuk and Brett Hull were 6th round picks.  If nothing else we bundle the pick in a trade.  

Overall Hagg did a decent job for is, especially early in the season when he was healthy.   He blocked a lot of shots for awhile and he had a physical aspect to his game.  He came to work and was a good teammate.  He is what he is, a 6/7/8 defenseman.   

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.