We need to talk about Jokiharju's bad defense

LGR4GM

Dahlin was really humming for 6 games. He's still good but the last 2 games haven't been as good... why? 

Well the reason is pretty simple, Jokiharju can't handle being a top pairing defender and the Sabres need to accept that already. Joker is the perfect guy to pair with Samuelsson. 

In the short-term at the end of this season, do we trust Joker to pair with the Muel (breaking the FitzMuel) or do we trust a Power-Joker?

Jokiharju was great early his rookie year with veteran Scandella, but he himself is still a kid despite the games played. Power needs a mentor oversight

And of course, the other question: will HCDG put Bryson back with Dahlin?

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

FWIW, DM said on WGR in the last few days that Joki has played very well and has taken a big step up.  

I really worry about stuff like this because it's not like the analytics are fuzzy here, it's like eakin, it doesn't work. So is it not integrated into Granatos lines or what?

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Is that a gigantic Beaver??

In Canada, we like our Beavers gigantic.

+++++

Joker needs to be second pairing, but who is going to play with Rasmus?

Bryson seemed to work.  I’d go with that for a while and see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

Bryson is good with the puck, skates well, tries hard but is horrendous in front of the net. He's closer to a 7th Dman than a 1st pairing guy.

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Who is this DM idiot?

Donnie the Meatball man. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I really worry about stuff like this because it's not like the analytics are fuzzy here, it's like eakin, it doesn't work. So is it not integrated into Granatos lines or what?

It has to be a case of looking at all six guys and what to do with them. There are just to many of the same thing (fast puck movers) to make three nice pairs. Muel may make a great partner but then we lose our stud for our second pairing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I thought Joki looked pretty good yesterday by the eye test.

Counting stats say nearly 25 minutes, 3 shots on goal, 3 hits, 5 blocks...

Coach singled him out as someone who played real well.

But charts 🤷‍♂️

Joker is playing well, but maybe not well enough to be top pairing.  That's the question. 

I don't really know enough to judge using chats and fancy stats.  To me he looked pretty good.  Who else do the Sabres have to play top pairing minutes now anyway.  No one really.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But charts 🤷‍♂️

Totally agree.

6 minutes ago, jsb said:

Bryson is good with the puck, skates well, tries hard but is horrendous in front of the net. He's closer to a 7th Dman than a 1st pairing guy.

Donnie the Meatball man. 

I tend to agree on Bryson at this stage, but who else do the Sabres have that could play top pairing minutes?  No one really.

I like Granato ... he sticks up for his players and maybe he sees stuff that we miss?  Joker did look pretty good yesterday, but maybe not top pairing good long term.

5 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

I tend to agree on Bryson at this stage, but who else do the Sabres have that could play top pairing minutes?  No one really.

I like Granato ... he sticks up for his players and maybe he sees stuff that we miss?  Joker did look pretty good yesterday, but maybe not top pairing good long term.

Ask me again in like 20days...

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

But charts 🤷‍♂️

Thought his game was unremarkable and noticed others playing far better. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.