Game 3 in Philly: What to expect.

Spandrel

What do we expect when this series moves to Philly on Wednesday? Buffalo has been a fantastic road team and has played with composure in the first two games of this rapidly degenerating series. Philly hasn't performed particulary well at Wachovia Center and they have demonstrated frustration at their inabiity to keep up with the faster skating Sabres.

The season record is now 5-1 Buffalo, with Philly's lone win coming a few weeks ago at HSBC, and last time we were in Philly, Grier ripped out their hearts with 5.6 seconds to go.

We are beating this team with speed, plain and simple. Even if Philly re-focuses and comes out playing hard, can they combat the speed. Take away the Knuble-Forsberg-Gagne line, and what has the rest of this team done? We've shown that we won't be intimidated by their physical play, and if anything, we'll use it against them with our power play?

Simply put, is there any reason to not think that Buffalo can go into Wachovia tomorrow night and pull out the win?

They can pull out the win, but don't expect the Flyers to roll over. They'll make it a war, they'll keep it close and they won't go indulging into all the buffoonery the produced in game 2. Frankly, they need to play a good game for their fans. a lot of people are probably selling their tickets right now. but nevertheless, all the ways we've found to outplay them to this point shouldn't evaporate on us, unless Niittymaki plays like a god.

j

They can pull out the win, but don't expect the Flyers to roll over. They'll make it a war, they'll keep it close and they won't go indulging into all the buffoonery the produced in game 2. Frankly, they need to play a good game for their fans. a lot of people are probably selling their tickets right now. but nevertheless, all the ways we've found to outplay them to this point shouldn't evaporate on us, unless Niittymaki plays like a god.

j

Filly will play better in game 3 than they did last night, but that's not saying much.

I expect to see the Phlyers come out of the gate strong as their Wile E. Coyote Supragenius fans will have them pumped up.

If the Sabres weather the 1st 5 minute storm, they could end up winning going away. If Filly gets a quick one or 2, the Sabres won't panic and will slowly take the game over with their speed. The Phlyers won't be able to play on adrenalin all night and I expect to see the Sabres dominating play throughout the 3rd. Either way, I see the good guys coming away with another well-deserved victory.

One wildcard in the equation is: how bad will the Wachovia crew be able to get the ice? If it is anything but a puddle, the Phlyers simply can not skate with the Sabres.

One wildcard in the equation is: how bad will the Wachovia crew be able to get the ice? If it is anything but a puddle, the Phlyers simply can not skate with the Sabres.

The rink crew will probably be out there with picks and shovels hammering away at the ice before game time.

The Flyers will not only be playing for their lives, but also for pride. Last night's performance was truly awful- a complete meltdown from the coach on down to the players (Hitch's post game comments were telling). I think it will be a tough, tough game that will be even tougher if Primeau comes back- a possibility reported by the Philly press.

I think you will see the Flyers try and close up the gap in the neutral zone. Game 1- they played their defense back. Game 2, well, I'm not sure WHAT they played. But in Game 3, I think they will try to take some risks. I don't think they have the personnel to play a trap like NJ, but I honestly don't see how else they can control the Sabres speed except by trying to challenge the play further up ice, try to slow the game down some in a closer confined space, use their bulk to hit what they can catch if they can catch it, and hope like hell that someone can get back when the Sabres break through (and that their goalie will be on game at the same time). A lousy bunch of choices, but what else can they do?

It will be an interesting test for the youthful Sabres- another experience-building game. Ruff must help them guard against a letdown, be assertive and fast, and not buy into the atmosphere of playing in a hostile building. Their road record shows they can, but I agree that they have to guard against a letdown given how easy it was in Game 2. Win tomorrow and it will be almost impossible for the Flyers to extend to game 5, much less win it all.

Here's what I expect: Let down game after such a big win, Philly takes it 3-2, or 4-2 with an empty netter.

I don't see that happenning now that Buffalo has learned to play around the trap. The sabres were dominated in games during the regular season were the other team played the trap well. Sabres couldn't get through the neutral zone, passing or skating. Philly was trapping a lot last night and the sabres were still able to pass their way through it. I was impressed with the decisions that they were making coming out of there zone. I think they have now seen the trap enough this year to expose the weaknesses, especially when playing against the Cryers defense. If there passes are sloppy like game 1, it will be close; if they can keep it on the tape this game will be another big one with them winning 5-2 or 6-2.

I think we are going to have to play disciplined hockey, above all. There are going to be many opportunities to bait the Sabres into taking dumb penalties or make mistakes. We have to keep them off the power play, because their #1 line can hurt us bad if we give them too many chances.

I do expect this game to be lower-scoring and closer. I think it will be tough to maintain the intensity from Game 2, and I definitely expect Esche to play better. Not sure if or how the Flyers fans will affect the game, but if the Flyers come out flat again, or if we get an early goal, I expect them to turn very quickly.

Knowing that, we should do everything we can to come out skating hard and trying to just get the puck on net. We'll see.

I'm under the impression that the NHL strictly regulates the ice to prevent such gamesmanship.

There are certainly limits to what the crew could do but there are some minor things that could affect quality of the ice such as leaving loading dock doors and front doors open to increase humidity in building. Or far easier, if they'd have had the foresight to schedule an event in the rink on the previous night (which they didn't), take a little longer to get the floor off the ice than it normally takes.

There's a circus in Filly this week (and no, I'm not referring to the Captain Kangaroo Travelling Road Show) but it is over in the Spectrum. Poor planning on Phlyers management's part.

I think it all depends on who Hitchcock goes to in goal. Lets face it, both Esche and Nittymaki played like garbage last night, but its pretty clear we're in Esche's head. I'm confident against either guy, but the series is over if Esche plays another minute for Philly.

As much as I'd love a sweep [knock on wood], I think we get a split down in Philly and come back in game 5 and blow the Flyers out of the water...

Playoff hockey is absolutely delightful! :D

As much as we expect the flyers to come out "better". How much better can they be if they can't match our speed? We have to keep moving those legs and watching our backs.

I expect the flyers to win one of the games but as long as Buffalo doesn't get distracted or mugged by those thugs so as some injuries come out of it, they should come home for the series win. In which case, I will be there!!!!!!!!

BTW, good job elcrusho.

this game is a toughie... the only problem about having a blowout in a game 2 is that you have to play a game 3. I fully expect the flyers to come out on fire, playing smart tough hockey from the opening faceoff. If they get an early goal, things get interesting... I can fully see the flyers rolling to a game 3 victory. However, if the sabres score during the opening rush, this series is over. I cannot make a prediction for this game, because if the flyers are going to win one, this is it. however, if the sabres win, its a statement game like no other. We'll see..

I will make one statement though: I want the sabres to win this series, and i do not want brian campbell to record a goal. This way we can say forever that brian campbell singlehandedly beat the flyers without scoring.

oh hell, i'll make a prediction. buffalo 4 philly 3.

this game is a toughie... the only problem about having a blowout in a game 2 is that you have to play a game 3. I fully expect the flyers to come out on fire, playing smart tough hockey from the opening faceoff. If they get an early goal, things get interesting... I can fully see the flyers rolling to a game 3 victory. However, if the sabres score during the opening rush, this series is over. I cannot make a prediction for this game, because if the flyers are going to win one, this is it. however, if the sabres win, its a statement game like no other. We'll see..

I will make one statement though: I want the sabres to win this series, and i do not want brian campbell to record a goal. This way we can say forever that brian campbell singlehandedly beat the flyers without scoring.

oh hell, i'll make a prediction. buffalo 4 philly 3.

If we score first, I expect the Flyers to get frustrated. So I think we will win. If they score first, it's a tossup.

game three: Buffalo 2 Philly 1. Ryan Miller stands on his head. Bout time for Miller Time. Philly all but outplays Buffalo in this one, but one of the core reasons we were sure we were gonna win this series was Ryan, and he hasn't had much to show us yet (granted, he hasn't had to). I think that would be a great way to prove we can beat them by doing more than just rush.

Like most of you, I think Philly will play this game with composure. They're quickly being ragarded as one of the worst teams to ever make a playoff appearance, I think they're gonna wanna disprove that. I just think we're too good, too fast, I say we win a close one 4-3.

the only real difference between game 1 and game 2 was the unbelievable performance of esche on saturday. the sabres created tons of chances in both games and i don't see why they won't do it in game 3. they CAN'T defend our team well enough to win a game in this series unless the sabres don't skate hard (i suppose it's possible if they get cocky). i don't believe the sabres will give them one. they're having too much fun frustrating the flyers. i think they win game 3 by a 4-2 score, then beat them 5-1 in game 4.

I think this one is decided early. If we show up and score 1 or two early, I think it's over. If Philly scores 1 or two early, or keep it scoreless for a while, they have a shot at winning. Also, the fans will turn quickly if we score early. Score two early and it could be lots of fun watching the fans.

How many Phiilly fans will show up for game four if we win tomorrow?

Guesses? :unsure:

I think that this game is going to be decided early. For Buffalo to win, they are going to have to weather an emotional storm by Philly early. I'd be happy if they could be within a goal at the end of the first period. I really think Esche is going to be a much tougher goalie after being humiliated last night.

If we do score early, the crowd will turn on this team.

The forecast for game 3 is a hurricane of ignorance in the form of flyers fans, followed by a downpour of tears when they lose, follwed by a $hitstorm coming from Hitchcock's mouth after the game

Seriously though, their fans suck. Remember when Lindy was hit in the head with something the last time we had a playoff game there? (at least I think thats when it happened) I really wouldnt be surprised to see something similar happen. They are a bunch of whiney babies, if you want proof just look at their message boards.

The forecast for game 3 is a hurricane of ignorance in the form of flyers fans, followed by a downpour of tears when they lose, follwed by a $hitstorm coming from Hitchcock's mouth after the game

Seriously though, their fans suck. Remember when Lindy was hit in the head with something the last time we had a playoff game there? (at least I think thats when it happened) I really wouldnt be surprised to see something similar happen. They are a bunch of whiney babies, if you want proof just look at their message boards.

I think the incident was in 2000--the Sabres' last playoff game in Filly was in 2001--but I wouldn't be surprised at a repeat, either.

Monday night was supposed to be a must win for Philly. They gave up 5 goals in the first 20. They're goalie played the "best game of his life" in game 1 - and still lost. This Sabres team doesn't seem the type of team that rest on its laurels. I just don't think Philly can win unless Buffalo mails it in.

I say Esche plays better than Monday, but not as good as Saturday: 5-2 Sabres...

Archived