Sabres' Option: Matthew Beniers

LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

People can't lie to me saying they didn't think Zemgus was a core  Piece for this franchise 

I've never seen a fanbase  Declare someone a superstar and captain before his first season 

No one declared Zemgus that before his first season. He had 30 points in 60 games as a Sophomore and it appeared he was going to keep growing but he did not and expectations were quickly adjusted.  

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No one declared Zemgus that before his first season. He had 30 points in 60 games as a Sophomore and it appeared he was going to keep growing but he did not and expectations were quickly adjusted.  

https://twointhebox.com/2014/04/20/who-is-the-next-captain-of-the-sabres/

Some good ones here 

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/c-lw-zemgus-girgensons-2012-14th-overall-buffalo.974918/page-5

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

He will never see 70 points  thats some hopeful thinking.

Beniers is not Tkachuk. 

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif?resize=32

60s in points is way above average. way way above 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

He is average he's not going to be a superstar he's going to top out at  scott laughton with better D with a A on his chest 

Sure whats the bet 

I don't agree with this at all, but your comparisons are so well chosen because they are so specific lol

53 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

People can't lie to me saying they didn't think Zemgus was a core  Piece for this franchise 

I've never seen a fanbase  Declare someone a superstar and captain before his first season 

People did see Zemgus as a potential toews-light when he was shiny and new and a first round pick, I can confirm this. Not everyone, but it came up 

15 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Sold.

Still room on the Team Beniers bandwagon?  

Oh wait, Power was a +18.... nevermind.

You and I both know plus minus is irrelevant.

Give me the TRPM, please

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, pi2000 said:

Dies anybody have a list of point per game college freshman forwards who were selected near the top of the draft the past 10 years or so?

Both eliteprospects.com and pick224.com would likely answer your question, pick224 separates data more for each player, eliteprospects would have the 10 years or so

54 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Dies anybody have a list of point per game college freshman forwards who were selected near the top of the draft the past 10 years or so?

Freshmen forwards, or players in their draft year?

I only ask because I know that for NCAA players in their draft year, Beniers has produced more than anyone since Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Curt said:

Freshmen forwards, or players in their draft year?

I only ask because I know that for NCAA players in their draft year, Beniers has produced more than anyone since Eichel.

...and Kent Johnson 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

Surprisingly there have only been 5 forwards drafted in the top 15 between 2008-2018 coming off their freshman college season.   These kids played as true freshman which is a rarity these days.

points per game their freshman season:

Colin Wilson 0.95
Jaden Schwartz 1.57
Jack Eichel 1.78
Luke Kunin 0.94
Brady Tkachuk 0.78

Beniers 1.0

Beniers' production is comparable to Colin Wilson and Luke Kunin, both centers... Wilson at BU (Hockey East) and Kunin in the Big10 same as Beniers.

Wilson has averaged around 30-40 points/season in his NHL career.   

Luke Kunin 31 points in 63 games in 2019-20.    19 points in 31 games this past season.... which is around 50 points in a full season.     This is probably Beniers middle ground.... is that #1 OA worthy?   IDK.

44 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

...and Kent Johnson 🙂

You have any idea how many 2nd assists Kent Johnson has? 14. 14 of his 18 assists are secondary assists. 

Matthew Beniers has 5 secondary assists out of 14. He also has 10 goals compared to Johnson's 9 but please ppl keep telling me how much Beniers sucks. 

32 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Surprisingly there have only been 5 forwards drafted in the top 15 between 2008-2018 coming off their freshman college season.   These kids played as true freshman which is a rarity these days.

points per game their freshman season:

Colin Wilson 0.95
Jaden Schwartz 1.57
Jack Eichel 1.78
Luke Kunin 0.94
Brady Tkachuk 0.78

Beniers 1.0

Beniers' production is comparable to Colin Wilson and Luke Kunin, both centers... Wilson at BU (Hockey East) and Kunin in the Big10 same as Beniers.

Wilson has averaged around 30-40 points/season in his NHL career.   

Luke Kunin 31 points in 63 games in 2019-20.    19 points in 31 games this past season.... which is around 50 points in a full season.     This is probably Beniers middle ground.... is that #1 OA worthy?   IDK.

***** I wish I had gone through and noted Beniers primary points and compared to recently drafted NCAA players in their draft year or D+1 year. That might have been helpful...

captain america shut up GIF

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

One of the interesting things from the Will Scouch Interview was when it was mentioned the Beniers does not do anything elite, but he does do everything exceptional. 

In Draft with no players with truly elite skills, He is the best choice. 

Boy, did the Scouch session ever put the fear of god into a Power pick.

Has me thinking he's Mike Wilson...

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Boy, did the Scouch session ever put the fear of god into a Power pick.

Has me thinking he's Mike Wilson...

Power will be a good player and His desire to return to Michigan will be very beneficial to him.

The Sabres need Beniers  though. 

Scouch is very interesting to listen to regarding the draft and how he breaks down prospects.  
And teams they have been more successful in drafting utilize similar scouting methods pulling analytics into Their analysis. That’s why Carolina and Tampa are so successful in drafting. 
The Sabres should utilize this as well

Edited by Brawndo
  • Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Who is Mike Wilson?

Oh, you whippersnappers....😜

He was the prize prospect in the Mogilny trade, the epitome of a player overdrafted for his size and skating ability but lacking the edge and the processor to match.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=18626

Edited by dudacek
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.