Sabres' Option: Matthew Beniers

LGR4GM

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

30-35 points seems low and 40 points is me being cautious but you asked about absolute floor so. 

A poor man's Parayko. 25pt solid 2nd pair defender. 

I probably just lean lower on floors in general than you, because I would probably set Power’s floor as lower as well.

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

People are finally seeing the light he's not  going to be a Mega point producer.

Don't draft him

Peca over Satan, Ramsey over Housley.

I don't want the highest scorer, I want the best hockey player.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

35 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

People are finally seeing the light he's not  going to be a Mega point producer.

Don't draft him

70pts in the NHL seems pretty good considering his goal differential will be something like +50 with him on the ice because he's absurd defensively. Honestly I am unsure if I have ever watched a better more well rounded draft eligible forward before. Stick lifts, picking pockets, bumping and grinding, shielding the puck away. His defensive game is fantastic and I can't remember a play where he was out of position. 

Beniers is bringing a lot of scoring that keeps getting discounted for some reason. There are not a lot of rookie NCAA players who score at his level and there are none who did it as a draft eligible in the last 4 years. 

Everyone in here wants Brady Tkachuk correct? Beniers is better Tkachuk. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Don't draft him

Who is seeing the light or changing their opinion?

I would definitely draft Beniers.

Edited by Curt

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's funny. 

Bjork would have been 3 months older than Beniers in his first NCAA season. He finished with 22 points in 41 games. That is a ppg of 0.537 and only 7 of them were goals. 

Matthew Beniers finished his NCAA season with 24 points in 24 games or 1.0ppg and 10 of them were goals. They don't profile out the same. 

Beniers is closer to the Zegras tier of prospect than many seem to realize. 

Ander Bjork finished his first NCAA season with a -3

Matt Beniers finished his first NCAA season with a +21

Just for you Pi. 

Interesting. Who do you have higher, Zegras or Cozens?

Just now, Thorny said:

Interesting. Who do you have higher, Zegras or Cozens?

I like both so that's a hard question. Same talent tier currently just give you different things. 

Zegras is going to get more points probably than Beniers but again Beniers ability to just tilt the ice in his team favor is being underrated. 

Zegras is probably better than Cozens. 

So in that tier you have Zegras - Cozens - Beniers probably

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Beniers profiles out to a 65-70pt 2way forward in the vein of ROR or Bergeron (as comparable not saying that is who he will be) who runs your PK, will be on your PP, wins faceoffs, wins battles, is excellent in transitions, and gets lots of pucks into high danger areas. He's going to be slightly below a Cozens in points because Beniers will probably get slightly less PP time or be on the second unit (not because he isn't good but because he's going to be on the PK). 

I was going to call on this and say even ROR isn't a 65-70 point forward, but I'll be, that's exactly what he's become the last 3 seasons. 

Damn.

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I like both so that's a hard question. Same talent tier currently just give you different things. 

Zegras is going to get more points probably than Beniers but again Beniers ability to just tilt the ice in his team favor is being underrated. 

Zegras is probably better than Cozens. 

So in that tier you have Zegras - Cozens - Beniers probably

Cozens probably in the middle for both point production and defensively (Beniers above), right?

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

nicolas cage wink GIF

At least I'm totally over that trade

Funny GIF

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Cozens probably in the middle for both point production and defensively (Beniers above), right?

At least I'm totally over that trade

Funny GIF

Yes, I would say Cozens is a blend of both and has the best shot of the 3. Zegras has some nifty moves and slick playmaking. 

Beniers is above both defensively (comparing them in their draft years). 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes, I would say Cozens is a blend of both and has the best shot of the 3. Zegras has some nifty moves and slick playmaking. 

Ya I've heard Zegras is an exceptional passer, I haven't seen him play in the NHL really. I was happy to see Cozens' passing look pretty good in limited action, too. I maintain it was a bit underrated heading into the draft. Wouldn't have the slickness of Zegras but he gets it to the right spot and his vision looks very solid

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya I've heard Zegras is an exceptional passer, I haven't seen him play in the NHL really. I was happy to see Cozens' passing look pretty good in limited action, too. I maintain it was a bit underrated heading into the draft. Wouldn't have the slickness of Zegras but he gets it to the right spot and his vision looks very solid

In Zegras' D+1 year in the NCAA, Matt Beniers produced more points per 60minutes than Zegras while just underperforming Zegras in p1/GP

Zegras 2.42 p1/60, 0.818 p1/gp

Beniers 2.725 p1/60, 0.792 p1/gp

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

In Zegras' D+1 year in the NCAA, Matt Beniers produced more points per 60minutes than Zegras while just underperforming Zegras in p1/GP

Zegras 2.42 p1/60, 0.818 p1/gp

Beniers 2.725 p1/60, 0.792 p1/gp

So what leads to the disconnect in all the muted offensive projections for Beniers? Not that those are the lion's share of the projections, but you see it come up

Just now, Thorny said:

So what leads to the disconnect in all the muted offensive projections for Beniers? Not that those are the lion's share of the projections, but you see it come up

Flash. He doesn't deke 3 guys and then score a goal. He'll deke 1 guy drive low and make a great pass for a goal or he'll sit below the goal line on the pp and rifle perfect passes into the slot for goals. Basically it is a combination of Covid making it a short season and Beniers being someone who does the little things great so he doesn't always need to deke 4 guys and precision shoot the far corner. Also the defensive side of the guy and the transitions aren't sexy even though they are highly effective. I think it all comes down to the Power overhype in the TSN/NHL.com/Sportsnet world and the quiet brilliance of Beniers. 

We are talking about draft media that barely mentioned Seth Jarvis even though he outproduced Dylan Cozens (who they did talk about) all while being a year younger. It has a lot to do with who pops in the WJC20's and who the big names like (Button for example) and that creates hype and buzz. The more hype and buzz the more your ceiling goes up because the skys the limit. It is why Power is talked about like Hedman but I got pushback saying Beniers could be a Bergeron or ROR level guy. It all comes down to the hype train and Power being a minute eating defender in a really low quality Worlds this year just pushed that hype to another level. He's also Canadian which like it or not influence the narrative around a guy. Will Power be a good NHL player, yes. Do I think Matthew Beniers is going to be better/more impactful, yes. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

70pts in the NHL seems pretty good considering his goal differential will be something like +50 with him on the ice because he's absurd defensively. Honestly I am unsure if I have ever watched a better more well rounded draft eligible forward before. Stick lifts, picking pockets, bumping and grinding, shielding the puck away. His defensive game is fantastic and I can't remember a play where he was out of position. 

Beniers is bringing a lot of scoring that keeps getting discounted for some reason. There are not a lot of rookie NCAA players who score at his level and there are none who did it as a draft eligible in the last 4 years. 

Everyone in here wants Brady Tkachuk correct? Beniers is better Tkachuk. 

He will never see 70 points  thats some hopeful thinking.

Beniers is not Tkachuk. 

dont_believe_you_anchorman.gif?resize=32

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

He is average he's not going to be a superstar he's going to top out at  scott laughton with better D with a A on his chest 

Sure whats the bet 

Scott Laughton... lol

If you remember the bet, before he is 30, Beniers will hit 70points and you donate to a charity of my choice. 

28 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

That worked out great with zemgus girgensons.

You want a superstar at 1 not some  Average player thats ok 

😆 What does Girgensons have to do with Beniers?

Are you seriously suggesting that's where he projects?

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Scott Laughton... lol

If you remember the bet, before he is 30, Beniers will hit 70points and you donate to a charity of my choice. 

Sounds good I'll probably be dead though lol 

Just now, dudacek said:

😆 What does Girgensons have to do with Beniers?

Are you seriously suggesting that's where he projects?

I remember every one  declaring him as the next captain and people  Projecting him as some Allstar 

3 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I remember every one  declaring him as the next captain and people  Projecting him as some Allstar 

Pretty sure Zemgus was an all star one year... which is crazy. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Sure, the season he was an all-star.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.