I despise this team

Kong

12 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

How can I be misrepresenting your posts when I am directly quoting you? Don’t get upset with me because you are not careful or concise enough with your verbiage.

You’ve asked me to ask you for sources, okay then -  again, what was Terry Pegula’s net worth in 1993? Common reading comprehension would allow you to realize that I’ve already asked that in this discussion to someone else, it was never answered. You’ll notice I use basic logic to conclude that Terry was wealthy in 1993, albeit not like he is today. You say otherwise, walk us through your reasoning. Keep in mind, engineers tend to be well off, especially ones who are nearly ten years out of college and own their own business..

You have been consistently misrepresenting my posts. I literally put a disclaimer that is was speculation and you are accusing everything I said as fact. And while I can’t find Terry’s net worth, I can tell you he began with. $75,000 loan in the late 80s, when we met Kim natural gas was priced at $2.20 and when they sold it was priced at nearly $9.00. Also, your infatuation with the amount of money Terry had been he met Kim so very much plays into the gold digger trope. If you want I can go through and quote all of the misinterpretations in morning  I can or you can just critically read what I wrote and realize you latched on to things that I presented as speculation that you are now accusing me of reciting as facts. It doesn’t get any more clear than a disclaimer at the top saying THIS IS SPECULATION. 

Look, if you think this team will get nowhere with Kim just give up on it. People place so much emphasis on a person for literally has zero control over hockey operations. Terry makes the personnel cuts. Terry tries to influence picks and players. Terry wants to be one of the boys. People want to say Kim is a nepotism hire and that’s why she sucks that’s fine. If people want to say Kim in inexperienced in the realm of sports that’s fine. But if you read the board, it’s about Kim being unfit as a woman to run the team (WHICH SHE DOESNT EVEN DO). Do I think Kim can fix the Sabres woes—sure. Three easy steps:

1. ***** the ***** up

2. Listen to the subject matter experts you hired, whether they tell you they need more staff or they need $6m for a signing 

3. Empower them to get that done, whether is means private jets or yatch cruises

You want to be mad at our last half dozen hires—blame the NHL for their recommendations 

You want to be mad that we’re cash strapped—blame the GMs

You want to be mad your season ticket rep can’t returned your phone calls and the manager at the Sabres store isnt honoring your SabresBucks, complain to Kim. 

Do I think the Pegulas can right the ship? Yes. Do I think the Pegulas lack the ego to allow that to happen? TBD. 

Notice how ive now written a novella critical of Kim and Terry and not once did I disparage their ethnicity, financial well-being, or sex. Now please, good look back on related  Kim posting and see if it’s anything like this. 

Like I said, sexism related to this team only becomes apparent when people lack the critical thinking skills needed to understand the largest issues. 

Looking through this thread is kind of hysterical to me. How folks continue to refute sexism with sexism tropes is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. That’s the problem with being objective today in a reactionary would. People from both sides think you’re an idiot while you’re forced to sit with a glass of wine and wonder where the education system went wrong. 

Edited by #freejame
  • Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Looking through this thread is kind of hysterical to me. How folks continue to refute sexism with sexism tropes is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. That’s the problem with being objective today in a reactionary would. People from both sides think you’re an idiot while you’re forced to sit with a glass of wine and wonder where the education system went wrong. 

Sounds to me like you’ve already gotten into some glasses of wine. Honestly, your argumentation is all over the place. For someone who keep harping on “critical reading”, you’re not exactly displaying it yourself. 

And by the way, idc if 90 percent of this board agrees with your take, this tends to be an echo chamber anyhow. In closing, Kong called KP a trophy wife. Lots of guys started white knighting and said no way is that the case. I agreed that the term was harsh, but laughed at their ridiculous outrage as the shoe kind of fit, at least in the conventional sense from the outside looking in. 

Far as your history of posting about the Pegula’s, or whatever, I don’t need to have a bio of all your previous works in order to comment on your words in the present day. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, #freejame said:

I don't usually comment of these threads but I do have some thoughts that might come out terribly but read it through and it should make sense. Disclaimer: Rampant speculation below:

When Terry met Kim--Terry was not wealthy, was by no means handsome, but was a burgeoning businessman

When Kim met Terry--Terry was not wealthy and was by no means handsome. Kim was working through college, had a stable home life with her adopted family, and was/is very attractive

---break---

At the beginning, there is no clear evidence that Terry was looking for a trophy wife because he did not have the financial status necessary for a trophy wife. He met an employee that he connected with. This has happened in every single work-place I have ever been apart of. 

DIsproven: Kim met Terry with the intentions of his money bags.Terry was young, healthy, and beginning to establish himself but wasn't there yet. The timeline to death is farrrrrrr to long for your standard trophy wife scenario

---break---

Kim as a trophy wife--I am not sure how this can be true because no husband of a trophy wife will be consistently embarrassed by continuous mistakes made by her at a business level. The point of a trophy wife is to show them off and give them money so they have nothing to complain about, not to see them consistently lambasted by fans and the media

---break---

Terry met a young Kim while she was working at a restaurant. At some point, they developed a connection. Terry likely recognized the struggles and hardships faced by Kim's background and wanted to put her into positions to help her have a sense of value. That is what friends and couples do for each out. As far as my research is concerned, becoming President of two Major sport franchises was not the first trial period for her aptitude. Terry trusted her ability to MANAGE and OVERSEE, and put her into those positions. 

--conclusion--

Terry very much loves and supports his wife. More than anything, Terry wants to see her succeed in the the positions she is in. He is willing to ruin a sports franchise than cause internal marital strife. Is this a smart idea? No, probably not. Do I think Terry is placing Kim in these positions because he wants to see her have her own success that she has been fighting for since birth. Do these things, if true, make Terry a bad person? Not in the slightest. Does, if true, these things make him a terrible owner? Absolutely. 

The whole Kim is a gold-digger and a lot of the other borderline or full blown sexism, to me, comes from a place inside a person who has likely never felt the connect Terry and Kim have. Every sign points to the Pegula's being outstanding parents, who have raised tremendous kids, fully funded a D1 hockey program, and a bevy of other things. Is Kim fortunate for meeting Terry? Absolutely. Does that make either of them bad people for wanting their spouse to feel important and as a contributor? No. Does Kim need to step up her game? Absolutely. But this whole sexism thing is still. Terry loves his wife. Terry loves his kids. Terry wants to see their success probably more than he wants to see the Sabres win. The absolute cherry would be the Sabres winning with Kim in charges (which as far as my research shows would be historic). Is it nepotism? Sure. If people want to say Kim would never have this job without marrying Terry--sure. But nothing I have read about the Pegula's screams anything other than a loving family and inept at running a hockey team. 

Hate Kim all you want. I despise the Pegula's for what they have done the the Sabres. But to say sexism is the reason for our failures or that Kim is incapable or righting this ship is BS. 

Lastly, I can't believe I just wrote such a long post defending both Pegulas so I just want to say that I don't like either. But not because Kim is a woman and Terry is an idiot. Sexism is the lazy-man's go to when they can't think critically or need to reason to feel better about themselves. 

Claptrap.Sexism is an accusation. The reality is everybody is incompetent at certain things. Men and women. Just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she can't be incompetent. She's proven this to us. She's in way over her head. She's no president. As for her "connection" with Terry...Puhlease.

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/30/2021 at 10:44 PM, Brawndo said:

I believe we are entering a new era of sports, where players are realizing they have more power over Their Careers than Their Predecessors. I think you are going to see more players forcing their franchises to move them out of bad situations. Pierre Luc Dubois was the first player to do so, but will not be the last. I don’t agree with the players doing this but this is the future I believe. 

This is so true. I was just talking to a bud of mine about the horrible sport of basketball. Players decide who they want to play with, stack their teams and it's unwatchable. Not to mention the creepy political views of about 80 percent of the players.

6 hours ago, I-90 W said:

Sounds to me like you’ve already gotten into some glasses of wine. Honestly, your argumentation is all over the place. For someone who keep harping on “critical reading”, you’re not exactly displaying it yourself. 

And by the way, idc if 90 percent of this board agrees with your take, this tends to be an echo chamber anyhow. In closing, Kong called KP a trophy wife. Lots of guys started white knighting and said no way is that the case. I agreed that the term was harsh, but laughed at their ridiculous outrage as the shoe kind of fit, at least in the conventional sense from the outside looking in. 

Far as your history of posting about the Pegula’s, or whatever, I don’t need to have a bio of all your previous works in order to comment on your words in the present day. 

I literally just reread everything I wrote and it’s really quite linear, clear cut, and presented as opinion. You have then misinterpreted what I said on multiple occasions, presented what I laid out as opinion as fact, and continued to press on sexism tropes. I said it before and I’ll say it again—sexism is for the lazy, inept, and jealous. If a person can’t come up with a bevy of reasons to dislike Kim and constantly falls into sexist tropes, that’s an indicator. You are taking my posts and applying them simply to one posting made by Kong. My posts concern all of the instances (weekly, if not daily) who believe Kim is bad at her job because she’s nothing more than a gold digger or simply because she’s a woman. All I am asking for is to be critical of her without saying it’s because she’s a woman. It’s suuuuuuuuuper easy. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kong said:

Claptrap.Sexism is an accusation. The reality is everybody is incompetent at certain things. Men and women. Just because she's a woman doesn't mean that she can't be incompetent. She's proven this to us. She's in way over her head. She's no president. As for her "connection" with Terry...Puhlease, spare me the Neo-Puritanism.

No one said otherwise.  The pushback you've gotten here was because of your baseless use of a slur.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

No one said otherwise.  The pushback you've gotten here was because of your baseless use of a slur.

So tell me, you're part of the Mod Team. Since no one has answered me yet, what has she done successfully on her own?  Everything has been given to her by her powerful husband who gives her things and yet she's portrayed as this powerful independent woman. I'm just saying this image that's being peddled of her is clearly false. The reason for the pushback on this board is not the baseless slur,  but that several of the posters who like to repeat themselves are PC Neo-Puritans. 

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, #freejame said:

It takes very little in her position to right the ship. One meeting in Boca with Karmonos and Adams where they sit them down and say if you want to stop being embarrassed you need to listen to exactly what we say and support our execution. If you don't you're going to continue down this same path and lose the whole franchise.

There is ZERO chance that ultimatum is coming from Adams and Karmanos.

0.0% 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Kong said:

So tell me, you're part of the Mod Team. Since no one has answered me yet, what has she done successfully on her own?  Everything has been given to her by her powerful husband who gives her things and yet she's portrayed as this powerful independent woman. I'm just saying this image that's being peddled of her is clearly false. The reason for the pushback on this board is not the baseless slur,  but that several of the posters who like to repeat themselves are PC Neo-Puritans. 

No one has claimed that she's risen to her current position on her own or that her husband hasn't given her things.  No one is peddling a false image of her. 

You are free to say that she hasn't succeeded on her own and that her husband has given her things.

There are indeed posters here who engage in PC policing from time to time.  This is not one of those cases. 

You are 100% in the wrong, both in the use of the slur and in trying to defend yourself by hiding behind claims that everyone else is being a PC puritan. 

What crosses the line into baseless slur -- which is something you and everyone else need to avoid when posting here -- is the leap from "she hasn't achieved anything on her own" to "she's a grasping trophy wife." -- i.e. the leap from "she's not an accomplished person" to "she's a [slur for a type of bad person]."

Do better or keep quiet.

• Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, nfreeman said:

No one has claimed that she's risen to her current position on her own or that her husband hasn't given her things.  No one is peddling a false image of her. 

You are free to say that she hasn't succeeded on her own and that her husband has given her things.

There are indeed posters here who engage in PC policing from time to time.  This is not one of those cases. 

You are 100% in the wrong, both in the use of the slur and in trying to defend yourself by hiding behind claims that everyone else is being a PC puritan. 

What crosses the line into baseless slur -- which is something you and everyone else need to avoid when posting here -- is the leap from "she hasn't achieved anything on her own" to "she's a grasping trophy wife." -- i.e. the leap from "she's not an accomplished person" to "she's a [slur for a type of bad person]."

Do better or keep quiet.

I'll retract the grasping, it may be an unfair word to use, as long as I don't have to retract "milky eyed" - but her self description of Black Widow doesn't help in a positive public image. I feel that KP meets the definition of a trophy wife, which is that she is a much younger woman who is the second wife of a very wealthy man who handed her her career because of their marriage. She has no background in this field.  And yet she's constantly presented in the media as being a successful and powerful woman. Wife of Kong has actually weighed in on this, saying that she has seen and experienced this type of situation in business, when an undeserving woman gets a position of power or money because of her connection to an older powerful man and not because of her own merits or background. As a woman, Wife of Kong is very angered by this because it negates the efforts of truly qualified women who try to achieve things on their own. She's had this happen to her in business and she resents this deeply because it prevents women from achieving positions and success on their own merits without being attached to a powerful man. BTW still no one after all this time has been able to post what KP has done on her own successfully. 

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 2

On 5/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, Pimlach said:

Lots of pain.  The last really likable team had co Captains, Briere and Drury.  That was 15 years ago.  

Ownership errors, lack of leadership, poor drafting and player development, and continuous change.  

The OP makes a good point here.  It's not just that we are bad, or a team that fails to achieve good results.

It's much more than that!  We just aren't likable on any level! 

It's not a team I find myself cheering for, almost ever.  I can't think of many individuals on the team I like.

When full crowds are a normal thing at arenas again, we will see just how bad the damage is.

You are looking at <10,000 crowds for home Sabres games, as the norm.

The arena will look "half empty" at all times and the cameras will deliberately try to not show this during games.

Hockey Heaven!

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

The OP makes a good point here.  It's not just that we are bad, or a team that fails to achieve good results.

It's much more than that!  We just aren't likable on any level! 

It's not a team I find myself cheering for, almost ever.  I can't think of many individuals on the team I like.

When full crowds are a normal thing at arenas again, we will see just how bad the damage is.

You are looking at <10,000 crowds for home Sabres games, as the norm.

The arena will look "half empty" at all times and the cameras will deliberately try to not show this during games.

Hockey Heaven!

I'm the OP. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Why are some people certain that Terry is 100 per cent responsible for the success of East Resources and handed Kim every opportunity she gets?

Why can't their marriage be a partnership and their successes and failures the results of that partnership?

That's the sexist premise here. They are co-owners.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Why are some people certain that Terry is 100 per cent responsible for the success of East Resources and handed Kim every opportunity she gets?

Why can't their marriage be a partnership and their successes and failures the results of that partnership?

That's the sexist premise here. They are co-owners.

Did you think it was sexist to not introduce Kim as the owner alongside her husband in 2011? And to give her the assignment of renovating the lockerroom? Owners assign.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Did you think it was sexist to not introduce Kim as the owner alongside her husband in 2011? And to give her the assignment of renovating the lockerroom? Owners assign.

I'd say yes.

Owners own. 

• Like (+1) 1

I would say that neither of them were responsible for the spectacular success of East Resources. Neither of them were responsible for the development of hydraulic fracturing. I chalk this up to being in the right place at the right time. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I would say that neither of them were responsible for the spectacular success of East Resources. Neither of them were responsible for the development of hydraulic fracturing. I chalk this up to being in the right place at the right time. 

Being in the right place at the right time is huge.  But actually realizing that fact is what makes some billionaires.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.