I despise this team

Kong

I was a fan of the LA Angels dating back to the late 60s and one thing I learned from them was that after many, many years of futility, epic collapses, incompetence and a stadium that was built on an old Indian burial ground, in 1997 they came up with embarrassing Disney-designed uniforms that were labeled "softball beer league" uniforms by Chris Berman and "periwinkle blue" by the fans. Then something amazing happened. They won the World Series in 2002. Totally unexpected. After that it was back to the salt mines.

But as DeNiro as Rupert Pupkin said in "The King of Comedy": "Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime."

You never know.

Edited by Kong

3 hours ago, Indabuff said:

JFC.  I didn't realize that lamprey is still getting paid by the Sabres. 

Lamprey?  He was fine.  He was pretty good as a Sabre.  Buffalo signed him for 10 years and cut strings after 3.  I think Ehroff got the short end of that deal.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

You could say that but you’d be wrong, dead wrong.  Josh Allen is making his future in Buffalo. Jack Eichel is making problems for Sabres management because of his reticence of a future in Buffalo.  One is dedicated to improving each day and striving for excellence.  Including off-season team building.  The other is convinced  his greatness couldn’t be the reason for teams lack of success and is using a controversial surgery to buttress a trade.

I agree with this view of Jack. He’s being a sore loser, who is actively making it look like he’s part of the problem, rather than part of the solution. That said, it’s really hard to compare him to Allen. Allen plays a position (QB) that pretty much controls the destiny of an NFL team. Football teams die or succeed based on who’s playing QB. In fact, if Allen was a bust (a huge credit to the Bills FO and coaches) or they drafted a different QB that draft, we would be begging Terry to sell that team too. Hockey is a bit different though, in that a single position doesn’t really have the power to control the success of a team (unless you are a goalie and your name is Hasek). 

• Like (+1) 5

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

It’s not the Bills leadership(Beane and McD) as much as it was lucking into Josh Allen.  Think about where that team would be today if they had ended up with Rosen instead of Allen?

Well, I think they targeted Allen and did what they had to do to get him (although I would be curious as to whether they would've taken Darnold if he'd been available).  I also think they've done an excellent job at building a high-quality NFL franchise.  You are of course right that they look great because of how well Allen has developed.

3 hours ago, Kong said:

Then get the hell out!

If it was a man, it would be a grasping trophy husband. She is what she is.

What exactly has she done or said, other than marrying a wealthy man, to be characterized like this?

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I think they targeted Allen and did what they had to do to get him (although I would be curious as to whether they would've taken Darnold if he'd been available).  I also think they've done an excellent job at building a high-quality NFL franchise.  You are of course right that they look great because of how well Allen has developed.

What exactly has she done or said, other than marrying a wealthy man, to be characterized like this?

He was not wealthy, relatively speaking, when they married in 1993.

His real wealth was generated in 2010 when he sold off most of his shares in his company.

Kim is in no way a 'trophy wife'.  It is such a terrible thing to say, more so since it is in no way accurate.

9 hours ago, Kong said:

This is my blast of hellfire, my rant. I've been a Sabres fan since 1970 and I think I've earned this right.

So many examples of bad characters on the Sabres the last few years magnified by how bad the team has been run since milky-eyed Terry Pegula and his grasping trophy wife bought their way in. No one believes in or fights for each other on this team. Cozens the rookie is the sole example. We have players who will play for one team but not for us. Eichel and Hall may be talented but they are two of my least-favorite Sabres of all time. Hall is a straight-up mercenary; can't stand the sight of him... All along it seems he wanted to get dished to a contender at the deadline and his passive-aggressive indifferent play landed his ticket out. Eichel...there's something about him, save all those flowers for the nurses, that makes me want to puke. Eichel is so negative, I don't want to hear one more word coming out of his mouth.Shut up! It's all trash. He's also one of the ugliest people I ever saw...I know, not his fault.  Okposo seems to be a nice guy but he fleeced the organization with his contract. How can he hold his head up with pride when he knows the team is paying him a king's ransom and he doesn't have the ability to play anymore, yet he stubbornly hangs on. We're still paying Ehrhoff $900K a year for the next six or seven years...Matt Moulson was paid approximately $7.95 million to only play 14 games with the Sabres from the start of the 2017-18 season through the end of his contract June 30, 2019. I still can't stand some of the guys who left: Kane and O'Reilly being among the top. None of these guys have any class. Then there are all the nobodies on the team. Then there's the "management team." I won't even get into that through the years. Ville Leino and Slava Kozlov move over.

I can only hope that somewhere down the line Cozens will emerge as a leader who will fight for his guys. What humiliation we've had to go through as Sabres fans since the Pegulas bought in. Used to be we were the small market that could. Now...we're the runaway laughingstocks of ice hockey.

Its a hockey game... Nothing more. Maybe its time to retire the MSG subscription.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He was not wealthy, relatively speaking, when they married in 1993.

His real wealth was generated in 2010 when he sold off most of his shares in his company.

Kim is in no way a 'trophy wife'.  It is such a terrible thing to say, more so since it is in no way accurate.

What was Terry Pegula’s net worth in 1993? You do realize that they met under the premise of him being her boss? What Kong said was politically incorrect, but for all intents and purposes, based on information and belief, he has made a logical assumption. A bit harsh for my personal taste, but it’s pretty humorous to see this board balk at what he said. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

What was Terry Pegula’s net worth in 1993? You do realize that they met under the premise of him being her boss? What Kong said was politically incorrect, but for all intents and purposes, based on information and belief, he has made a logical assumption. A bit harsh for my personal taste, but it’s pretty humorous to see this board balk at what he said. 

Politically correct. What does that mean. What he said is okay and right but unacceptable to certain audiences? Give me a break. It was a sexist remark. Okay to you but maybe not politically correct. No! Correct or not? That politically correct phrase is hogwash in my opinion. Now we all have a right to our own judgement and I think "trophy wife" was all I needed to form my opinion. Could care less about whether it was "politically correct". 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Politically correct. What does that mean. What he said is okay and right but unacceptable to certain audiences? Give me a break. It was a sexist remark. Okay to you but maybe not politically correct. No! Correct or not? That politically correct phrase is hogwash in my opinion. Now we all have a right to our own judgement and I think "trophy wife" was all I needed to form my opinion. Could care less about whether it was "politically correct". 

You know exactly what it means; we live in a culture where certain inconvenient truths are declared false if they don’t fit the group think narrative. In this context, insulting a woman = not acceptable even if true. Again, it was too harsh for my taste but those who are trying to attack what he said on the very merit of his argument have little to go on other than “I don’t like that”. TP is 18 years older than Kim, was her boss, and was already well off. To say that these things don’t raise an eyebrow is a little ridiculous. Personally I don’t really care what they do I just find these PC reactions a bit humorous.

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

You could say that but you’d be wrong, dead wrong.  Josh Allen is making his future in Buffalo. Jack Eichel is making problems for Sabres management because of his reticence of a future in Buffalo.  One is dedicated to improving each day and striving for excellence.  Including off-season team building.  The other is convinced  his greatness couldn’t be the reason for teams lack of success and is using a controversial surgery to buttress a trade. compare the situation that each was put in. 

Let’s compare the situation each is in 

Josh Allen was drafted in an organization that has a Front Office that is considered one of the best in the NFL. Most Beane’s   Assistants are on the fast track to being GMs themselves.  The Bills Coaching Staff has two coordinators that interviewed for HCs positions last offseason. They have surrounded Allen with the talent he needs to be successful.  

Beane spoke quite effusively about Allen the day He drafted him. 

Now imagine How Josh Allen would feel if he played for the New York Jets 

Compare this to Eichel’s First Experience with the Sabres. The Night of the 2015 Draft Lottery, Eichel finds out He is going to be a Sabre and less than 15 minutes later His Future GM is front of the Hockey Media bitching about the results. 

Jack spend most of His Rookie Season talking about how great having Jamie McGinn as a mentor has been. McGinn was traded for a 3rd Round Pick at the deadline, which was later used to trade for Jimmy Vesey’s Rights. 

Look at the turmoil of the Front Office in the the Six Years Eichel has been here. Not one has had a clue about how to build a winner. They have drafted poorly, made horrible Free Agent signings and even worse trades. He watched as the Sabres entire front office was completely nuked and replaced with people with minimal experience.  All while the Bills remain unscathed, yes I know the difference and that the NFL prints money so it’s easier not to have any changes, still it would piss me off if I was Jack. He has watched two good friends leave the Sabres and each win the Cup less than 12 months after doing so. 

The implication that Eichel does not strive for excellence and improvement on a daily basis is laughable. Jack comes back early to Buffalo before training camp, before the 2019-20 Season, He was at the here in the beginning of August skating with the players who were in town. He trains in the offseason with Adam Oates as well.  And when the entire organization was shut down for Covid, Jack rented ice 5 days a week at a local arena to practice by Himself as no players where allowed to be in contact with each other 

After six seasons of being with a franchise that seemingly lacks any direction and finished in the Bottom 10 including last place this year, I do not blame any player for wanting out.  The teams lack of success is on the front office and the owners who cannot get out of its own way. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

To the latter He wasn’t a wealthy man when they were married in 1993.  East Resources became a million dollar company around 2000 and a billion dollar company in the 2000s.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Kong said:

Question: What has Kim Pegula successfully accomplished? I'd like to know. 

Let's list your accomplishments. Then we'll have  base to go by. She's in the public eye. Seems only fair you go public.

Edited by Radar

4 minutes ago, Radar said:

Let's list your accomplishments. Then we'll have  base to go by. She's in the public eye. Seems only fair you go public.

If Kong were an NHL owner you’d really have him here. But since he’s not, it’s a category error.

21 minutes ago, Kong said:

She’s the First Female Minority Owner of a NFL Franchise. 

I am not a fan of the Pegulas for How They have handled the Sabres. 

But calling Kim a Trophy Wife or a Gold Digger as She has been referred at times on This Board, is over the top. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Kong said:

I don't like big mistakes for one decade straight. I don't see that ending. If the Pegulas (no apostrophe) divorce, there's no reason to be happy. She'll take him for all he's worth and own the team(s) by herself. 

I buy into results or extreme lack thereof. I don't buy into personal assessments of people. Bottom line, the Pegulas are incompetent at hockey. 

You called Kim Pegula a "trophy wife" but you don't buy into personal assessments. You just make them.

• Like (+1) 1

Its frustrating for me to come on here and read the posts from so many Off the Deep End fans. Its fans like you the Harrington's and Sullivan's of the world are playing to... And its guys like them that chase our players out of town. Who could blame them for wanting out?

Seriously... Hellfire??? Humiliation?!?! 

I had a great time watching the kids play the back half of the season and I'm excited for next year. Granato was great, and I've enjoyed his post-season interviews... Remember, he said they feel the negativity.

Hopefully they'll find a way to get Sam and Jack excited for next year and grab a goalie (or two). There's serious potential here. And if it doesnt work out... c'est la vie.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kong said:

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

If Kong were an NHL owner you’d really have him here. But since he’s not, it’s a category error.

So neither of you have any action or statement by her whatsoever to support "grasping trophy wife?"  Just the fact that she married her boss, who was not, as others have pointed out upthread, wealthy when they got married?  So you're just assuming that she is a bad person because the Sabres have stunk while she and her husband have owned the team, and used a deeply pejorative term to describe her?

That is just terrible, and reflects badly on you.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

When you lose 19 games in a row, yeah the fans are going to be a little surly. I'm sorry if that makes them sad. Know what fixes that? Win more. What exactly does the team expect the fanbase to be like right now? The team sucks, the best individual players on the team want to leave, leadership is inexperienced at best and just led a ridiculous season of awfulness. Do they expect people to be jazzed about the Sabres? They are embarrassing. You know who has ZERO control over them being embarrassing? Me. I just get to watch. They are the only people who can ultimately control the level of negativity around the franchise. I'm not in the building. I'm not in the locker room. I don't take a shift. The building was effing EMPTY for most of this year and they felt the negativity? Imagine if paying customers were allowed inside during that 19 games crap tornado. They'd be wrong to be upset? I'm mean golly, they're doing their best and it's just a game right? We should all just calm down I guess...until they are halfway decent and then they are upset that we aren't loud enough for them. Asshats. Tone deaf asshats. All of them. 

Granato seemed to imply things were better in other markets.

You reap what you sow.

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Lose like this in Toronto, I'm sure it would be totally fine and everyone would be thrilled about it.

I live in Niagara Canada, and I don't know a single Leaf fan that would ever talk about hellfire and humiliation.

The journalists... while ever present (moreso than in Buffalo), are much more balanced in their approach.

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So neither of you have any action or statement by her whatsoever to support "grasping trophy wife?"  Just the fact that she married her boss, who was not, as others have pointed out upthread, wealthy when they got married?  So you're just assuming that she is a bad person because the Sabres have stunk while she and her husband have owned the team, and used a deeply pejorative term to describe her?

That is just terrible, and reflects badly on you.

Don’t put words in my mouth, Kong said it not me. I even explicitly stated twice it was too harsh for my taste. What I am pushing back on is this outrage that seems to suggest there is no way she is a “trophy wife”, when all indications seem to point that to be the case. But I guess I’m a terrible person because I’m using common sense and basic logic. Better shut down this thread, people are saying mean things about a lady! 

Edited by I-90 W
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.