Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Thorny

Individual Expectations for the Coming Season

Do the Sabres need to make the playoffs this coming season for you to be satisfied?  

18 members have voted

  1. 1. Well, do they?

  2. 2. If no significant moves have been made through the draft in a couple weeks, will you be worried at the lack of action?

    • Of course
    • I ain't never scared
    • I am already worried at the lack of action from Adams


Recommended Posts

I want to hear about your expectations for the coming season. 

Not, gun-to-head what you think will happen, the base level result you'd be satisfied with. What do you define as an acceptable result for this team? I'm going to put in a couple polls just for fun. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until society is back to some semblance of normality (e.g., fans in the arena/stadium), I don't think I'll have much in the way of real needs or expectations for the teams I support. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to be playoffs at minimum to be satisfied. 

Edited by Radar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A team with Jack Eichel, Rasmus Dahlin and $34 million in cap space has no excuse for not making the playoffs, short of serious injury to Jack or a Pegula bankruptcy.

I will be shocked if the Sabres have not made numerous changes within two weeks of the opening of free agency. Absolute minimum is an overall upgrade to the Girgensons Vesey Frolik Simmonds Larsson free agent group that includes at least one top six forward.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

A team with Jack Eichel, Rasmus Dahlin and $34 million in cap space has no excuse for not making the playoffs, short of serious injury to Jack or a Pegula bankruptcy.

I will be shocked if the Sabres have not made numerous changes within two weeks of the opening of free agency. Absolute minimum is an overall upgrade to the Girgensons Vesey Frolik Simmonds Larsson free agent group that includes at least one top six forward.

Gonna have to be a real busy next 5 weeks

Edited by Thorny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My expectation is we are almost 3 months away from puck drop '20-'21.

Right now, don't have any expectations as really don't have a good handle on Adams.  Circle back to this around Thanksgiving (ours, not yours).

Hoping for moves that put them in the playoffs.  Fearing another 1st year Pegula GM syndrome.  Expecting to be somewhere in between.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Gonna have to be a real busy next 5 weeks

It will be. At least as busy as mid-June to mid-July is usually, and the flat cap BS should amplify this.

I'm hoping the Flames reputed interest in OEL and Kuemper isn't going to get in the way of a trade with them, but there are plenty of other targets.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My expectation is we are almost 3 months away from puck drop '20-'21.

Right now, don't have any expectations as really don't have a good handle on Adams.  Circle back to this around Thanksgiving (ours, not yours).

Hoping for moves that put them in the playoffs.  Fearing another 1st year Pegula GM syndrome.  Expecting to be somewhere in between.

There is a possibility that the uncertainty stretches out the free agency window.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It will be. At least as busy as mid-June to mid-July is usually, and the flat cap BS should amplify this.

I'm hoping the Flames reputed interest in OEL and Kuemper isn't going to get in the way of a trade with them, but there are plenty of other targets.

There is a possibility that the uncertainty stretches out the free agency window.

Hard to say.  Expecting it to compress the bulk of it, but the last 20-33% of FA's probably won't get deals until the season is right upon us as you suggest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Taro T said:

My expectation is we are almost 3 months away from puck drop '20-'21.

I know they projected early December, but i don't see that my self. They won't be playing games that cost them more money or isolates the players from their families for months. And they will want to learn more about 2nd waves, border crossings, and vaccinations.

I will be surprised if we see puck drop in this calendar year.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know they projected early December, but i don't see that my self. They won't be playing games that cost them more money or isolates the players from their families for months. And they will want to learn more about 2nd waves, border crossings, and vaccinations.

I will be surprised if we see puck drop in this calendar year.

I agree: January 2021 at the earliest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I know they projected early December, but i don't see that my self. They won't be playing games that cost them more money or isolates the players from their families for months. And they will want to learn more about 2nd waves, border crossings, and vaccinations.

I will be surprised if we see puck drop in this calendar year.

Wouldn't be shocked to see them start playing right around Thanksgiving, maybe even w/ a "Black Friday" kickoff & then right into HNiC the next night.  Still e xpect December is most likely start.

Many said the NBA & NHL wouldn't resume, but they did.

Many said MLB wouldn't resume, but it did.  We then were told it would shut down quickly, but it's still going.

Many said the NFL wouldn't resume, but, again ...

Expect them to either start in bubbles for 10 game segments or following the MLB protocols.  If they do an MLB type protocol, expect teams to have extended Canadian schedule segments where teams enter a semi bubble prior to starting a Canada swing.

There's too much money involved for them not to be playing early December at the latest, because they'll want to get the SC finished before the NFL starts in September.  My 2 cents.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

My expectation is we are almost 3 months away from puck drop '20-'21.

Right now, don't have any expectations as really don't have a good handle on Adams.  Circle back to this around Thanksgiving (ours, not yours).

Hoping for moves that put them in the playoffs.  Fearing another 1st year Pegula GM syndrome.  Expecting to be somewhere in between.

The bold shouldn't really factor in as per the way I defined the question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Thorny said:

The bold shouldn't really factor in as per the way I defined the question. 

It shouldn't, but am way too busy right now to even be spending this much time here & to come up with expectations requires time for thought that simply isn't available. 😉

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My expectations for the Sabres are about as low as whale dung. Firing Botterill was a good move, but replacing him with someone with less experience than even he had was head scratching. No confidence at all that this team is going to the playoffs anytime soon. I need to see some pretty big moves before that becomes a real possibility. A true number one goalie would be a good start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Expectations getting solidified?

Floor moving up.  Not sure how much solidification there is, yet.

Also, hope springs.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Floor moving up.  Not sure how much solidification there is, yet.

Also, hope springs.

Meant more so in the fact that - the organization's goal actually being the playoffs is reasonably more solidified. Bumping up the likelihood of that happening.

Again, the point wasn't quite as much what we think will happen, but what we expect of the organization. What the individual feels is an acceptable result. I guess, to me, if they don't make enough moves to where I think they'll be a playoff team, I'll just say they should have made more moves. 

The expectation for me remains the same. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DO THE SABRES NEED TO MAKE THE PLAYOFFS THIS COMING SEASON FOR YOU TO BE SATISFIED?“

Yes, that’s where my expectations are set.

After getting Staal, I believe that with 2-3 more good moves (some mix of: middle-6 C, top-9 RW, 2/3 pair LD, improved G) this can be a probable playoff team.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll accept nothing less. Put up or shut up. Tall order for a first time GM but this is what ownership wanted so...lets git er done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Until society is back to some semblance of normality (e.g., fans in the arena/stadium), I don't think I'll have much in the way of real needs or expectations for the teams I support. 

So 10 more years then? :)

I definitely want playoffs, but I also don't see it happening without more than this Staal deal (although it is a small start).

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...