Prediction for Dem VP candidate?

Eleven

It's going to depend on how much the party thinks it needs the left. The Bernie clan is already shitting a brick (which I understand) and Klobuchar (or Harris) would basically be a signal that the party doesn't give a damn about the left in any capacity. Biden is already the centrist on the ticket and I don't think we need another, but I'm not in charge.

My choice would be Julian Castro. He's young, left of Joe just enough to be an olive branch, and a minority. I think he also got completely boned in the Presidential race and would shine on the VP debate stage against whatever schmuck the GOP trots out, Pence or otherwise. I think he's the perfect youthful pairing for Joe.

17 hours ago, darksabre said:

It's going to depend on how much the party thinks it needs the left. The Bernie clan is already shitting a brick (which I understand) and Klobuchar (or Harris) would basically be a signal that the party doesn't give a damn about the left in any capacity. Biden is already the centrist on the ticket and I don't think we need another, but I'm not in charge.

My choice would be Julian Castro. He's young, left of Joe just enough to be an olive branch, and a minority. I think he also got completely boned in the Presidential race and would shine on the VP debate stage against whatever schmuck the GOP trots out, Pence or otherwise. I think he's the perfect youthful pairing for Joe.

It should be "get rid of Trump at all costs" for the Democrats.  It doesn't need to be a policy initiative this year.

8 minutes ago, Eleven said:

It should be "get rid of Trump at all costs" for the Democrats.  It doesn't need to be a policy initiative this year.

That's why it'll be interesting to see who gets tapped. If it's anyone like Klobuchar or Harris then reading the tea leaves will make it plain that party leaders don't think the left's social policies will carry them to victory. They're probably right, but I'm not confident given how badly they botched 2016. They should have been able to tell Hillary was a bad candidate and they picked Tim Kaine to run with her. Talk about uninspired. And then they didn't even run a good campaign on top of that.

I hope the DNC does a better job this time. Biden, in my honest opinion, sucks, but he's popular with the base. So they need to pick a VP who can shore Biden up, and then actually RUN A CAMPAIGN.

I still think it would be smart for the Dems to decline having any debates against the GOP ticket. I'd rather see them focus on reaching out to the people who want to vote Democrat instead of participating in a Trump-centric media circus.

42 minutes ago, darksabre said:

That's why it'll be interesting to see who gets tapped. If it's anyone like Klobuchar or Harris then reading the tea leaves will make it plain that party leaders don't think the left's social policies will carry them to victory. They're probably right, but I'm not confident given how badly they botched 2016. They should have been able to tell Hillary was a bad candidate and they picked Tim Kaine to run with her. Talk about uninspired. And then they didn't even run a good campaign on top of that.

I hope the DNC does a better job this time. Biden, in my honest opinion, sucks, but he's popular with the base. So they need to pick a VP who can shore Biden up, and then actually RUN A CAMPAIGN.

I still think it would be smart for the Dems to decline having any debates against the GOP ticket. I'd rather see them focus on reaching out to the people who want to vote Democrat instead of participating in a Trump-centric media circus.

Regardless of what I think of Hillary Clinton (not much), there's no way Sanders was going to beat Trump in 2016.  (Or in 2020.)  Frankly, if not for James Comey, she would have had the presidency sewn up even in the face of Russian interference.

I don't think left-ness of Democrat party policy is going to determine who wins the election.  I think it is no more complicated than, they need to get the working class back in their corner.  And that means speaking to work/labor issues and not social issues.  Trump managed to secure the kind of voters that Dems used to be able to rely on.  Social issues and left-ness aren't going to matter to those folks. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think if the Democratic Party has half a brain they will choose someone of the same ilk as Biden. I think is Democrats have half a brain they won’t complain and vote for that ticket regardless if it’s left enough. I’m much more certain of point A than point B. The progressive left does not seem to get the game. 

On 4/8/2020 at 4:52 PM, darksabre said:

Well, at the March 15 debate Biden committed to nominating a woman for VP to run with him.  So, doubt Castro is on the short list.

Prior to her corona virus follies, expected MI Gov. Whitmer to be the front runner.  Now, wouldn't be surprised if he selects Stacey Abrams.  Klubacher & Harris are my next guesses.

Would be very surprised if the DNC throws a bone to the progressives.  If they were to, what woman would you expect Joe to choose?  Warren?

Edited by Taro T

41 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well, at the March 15 debate Biden committed to nominating a woman for VP to run with him.  So, doubt Castro is on the short list.

Prior to her corona virus follies, expected MI Gov. Whitmer to be the front runner.  Now, wouldn't be surprised if he selects Stacey Abrams.  Klubacher & Harris are my next guesses.

Would be very surprised if the DNC throws a bone to the progressives.  If they were to, what woman would you expect Joe to choose?  Warren?

I think Harris and Warren would hurt his chances of beating Trump. 

23 hours ago, Hank said:

I think Harris and Warren would hurt his chances of beating Trump. 

Warren would absolutely kill any chance.  Harris probably wouldn't, but there is no reason to pick her or anyone else from California.

21 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Watch him pick Michelle Obama. 

This is about as obtuse as a guy who locks both sets of books in the same safe.

4 hours ago, #freejame said:

The DNC know this, progressives do not. 

I don't think progressives like Warren.  Otherwise, you are right on.

18 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Warren would absolutely kill any chance.  Harris probably wouldn't, but there is no reason to pick her or anyone else from California.

I agree with this to an extent on Warren. I think they’re very skeptical about her background of 25 years ago. I also think that there are two driving groups of progressives. The more realistic type that I would classify as middle-aged, middle class who have held their beliefs for a long time but are life long Democrats because they are the party of lesser evil (similar to what I believe is a plurality of Republicans). There is also a younger, more “radical” group that do not grasp the way things work and if they cannot have their way they will shoot themselves in the foot for no reason other than purity. 

This is overly broad but I’m not sure how else to express it: progressives have a tendency to not believe in sustained growth/development. If you a have erred in the past you are not worthy of the progressive torch and quite frankly, that’s not how human begins work. I think the progressive left needs to come to the realization the conservative right did in the 80s. This is a game and a game that takes time. We’re now seeing the affects of the conservative movement in full force that began over 30 years ago. Too many on the progressive left do not have an understanding of politics and history to understand how change is made. 

Even while in school for political science there was a divide. There were folks who wanted to learn and educate themselves and develop their beliefs. And those who were in class to push their agenda. It’s a large problem on both sides but the right understands the game better than the left. 

Regardless I am deeply unsatisfied with our current state of affairs and cannot think of a time in my adult life in which I can say I have been happy with our politics. 

This ended a little longer than anticipated and got a bit off-topic but it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

How is it obtuse?

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Now I’m thinking he picks Cuomo. Guy has had a lot of what is arguably good PR during COVID. Seems he and Trump are having an adhoc COVID debate everyday. 

I thought I heard somewhere that Cuomo has indicated zero interest in a national position.

7 hours ago, Weave said:

I thought I heard somewhere that Cuomo has indicated zero interest in a national position.

He has at least said, in recent days, that he will never run for president.

5 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Trump said the same thing on Oprah in the 90s I think. 

20 years is long enough to change your mind though.

12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Now I’m thinking he picks Cuomo. Guy has had a lot of what is arguably good PR during COVID. Seems he and Trump are having an adhoc COVID debate everyday. 

What does Cuomo gain by being the VP candidate?

Could see a push to draft him to replace Biden at the convention, but don't see how he benefits by being the VP.

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

What does Cuomo gain by being the VP candidate?

Could see a push to draft him to replace Biden at the convention, but don't see how he benefits by being the VP.

What any Biden VP candidate gains. A chance to be the real shot caller behind the scenes and exposure for a 2024 run.

2 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

What any Biden VP candidate gains. A chance to be the real shot caller behind the scenes and exposure for a 2024 run.

The VP will NOT be "the real shot caller," even with Biden in the Presidency were he to win.  That would be whoever behind the scenes pushed him through to this point, IMHO.

And except for the President dying while in office or resigning from office, there is only 1 VP that was elected to immediately follow HIS President into the WH in at least 88 years.  Not sure how being the designated state funeral attendee gives him more exposure for '24 than being Governor of NY gives him.

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The VP will NOT be "the real shot caller," even with Biden in the Presidency were he to win.  That would be whoever behind the scenes pushed him through to this point, IMHO.

And except for the President dying while in office or resigning from office, there is only 1 VP that was elected to immediately follow HIS President into the WH in at least 88 years.  Not sure how being the designated state funeral attendee gives him more exposure for '24 than being Governor of NY gives him.

If Biden was still coherent I could see him making a push on his own but his VP pick is going to have to pick up the slack. Trump and Cuomo are the two I see on television the most right now. Maybe Cuomo doesn’t have aspirations now but someone could come along and change his mind. Who else has been out there lately getting PR on the national stage? Cuomo has projected what appears to be competent leadership through calmness, keeping people informed and developing plans. 

Now I’m not saying I like the guy or will vote for his ticket. When I say he has projected leadership I’m trying to see it through the eyes of Democrat supporters. I might be wrong in their perceptions though. 

23 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

If Biden was still coherent I could see him making a push on his own but his VP pick is going to have to pick up the slack. Trump and Cuomo are the two I see on television the most right now. Maybe Cuomo doesn’t have aspirations now but someone could come along and change his mind. Who else has been out there lately getting PR on the national stage? Cuomo has projected what appears to be competent leadership through calmness, keeping people informed and developing plans. 

Now I’m not saying I like the guy or will vote for his ticket. When I say he has projected leadership I’m trying to see it through the eyes of Democrat supporters. I might be wrong in their perceptions though. 

And his getting drafted at the convention to replace Biden seems a real (albeit slim) possibility.  His being LBJ to Biden's JFK seems much slimmer from here in the cheap seats.

Especially when Biden is on record as saying he will select a woman as his VP.

9 hours ago, Taro T said:

And his getting drafted at the convention to replace Biden seems a real (albeit slim) possibility.  His being LBJ to Biden's JFK seems much slimmer from here in the cheap seats.

Especially when Biden is on record as saying he will select a woman as his VP.

I guess we’ll see in the next few months.

• 3 months later...